Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tip for resetting Norcold Recall box

Just want to share some info to perhaps save others some hassle:

The smallish black recall box installed as a "fix" to the fire hazard in Norcold fridges is a PITA. Moisture from rain or washing the motor home can cause this box to go into an error state, indicated by a red LED on the box. When this happens, an internal relay trips and the 12vdc needed for operation (LP and AC mode) is not passed to the fridge control board. Fridge will not operate at all.

When this happens to my recall box, I hold a 1" magnet on the box to the right of the LED..after 20-30 seconds, the internal relay resets and I'm back in business.

I now keep this magnet on hand. I bought it at Ace Hardware.

I also installed a halon auto release fire extinguisher in the fridge compartment. Bought fromac the Fire Guy My Business - Home. This will save my life, not that recall box.

BUT be sure to have the recall box installed or your insurance may refuse to pay ii there is a fire.
caheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #2

I was told the same thing by my mobile tech, but sadly I did not share my information. Thank you, I am sure it will be helpful to many others. It is a shame that Norcold chose a fix that fails so often that people must find of the book ways to overcome the many faults. Also, although this will restart the frig if the black box shutoff is not noticed in time people will suffer the lose of food. My new rig has a residential frig.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 05:17 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My concern is what caused it to trip in the first place. Was it water, etc., or did the stack heat up enough to trip it.

Any yellow residue inside the compartment?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
My concern is what caused it to trip in the first place. Was it water, etc., or did the stack heat up enough to trip it.

Initial post: "Moisture from rain or washing the motor home..."
Old 11-27-2014, 09:56 PM   #5

my fire

I has been almost two months from the refrig fire. I noticed the refrig not working about 3am. No red light in back of refrig. Everything look OK. At 5:30 I drove to the grocery to get some dry ice. At 6:10 I come into the campground to see fire at my coach. I got my wife up and out of the coach. I garbed two fire extinguishers and they did nothing. I could hear something like a jet engine from the back of the refirg. Hooked up a hose and put the fire out myself. Insurance is paying for most of the cost but there are limits and deductibles. Also they will not pay for a new refrig because that is a known defect. So far Norcold is of no help. $800 deductible and 250 deductible for personal property and then a new refrig, about $9,000 out of my pocket. My advice is get rid of the refrig. Almost lost my wife. Fix does not work all the time. So far two months living in motels finding someone to repair from a fire and insurance deciding what to do ,and with another 2 months to go with me paying because it is over the dollar total limit. I think I will be out about $12,000. We are full timers with no house to go home to.
JGrosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

The ARPRV website has tips on troubleshooting and resetting the Norcold Recall Module - see Troubleshoot Norcold Recall| Reset Recall | Fridge Off | Norcold Not Working

Those who want to keep their Dometic and Norcold absorption fridges should consider adding the ARP controller to their box. It goes a major step further in managing the boiler temperature and will prevent many of the issues that lead to failure and fires. No, it's not foolproof either, but it makes an absorption fridge quite a bit safer as well as extending its useful life. I have one on mine, as do many other IRV2 members.
ARPrv | RV Refrigerator | RV Fridge Control | Install by Cooling Unit | RV Fire
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know if they're all the same but on mine the power has to be on to the box or it will not reset.

I built a shield out of thin aluminum flashing and installed it over the outside of the black box to keep from spraying it with the hose again.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The ARPRV website has tips on troubleshooting and resetting the Norcold Recall Module - see Troubleshoot Norcold Recall| Reset Recall | Fridge Off | Norcold Not Working

Those who want to keep their Dometic and Norcold absorption fridges should consider adding the ARP controller to their box. It goes a major step further in managing the boiler temperature and will prevent many of the issues that lead to failure and fires. No, it's not foolproof either, but it makes an absorption fridge quite a bit safer as well as extending its useful life. I have one on mine, as do many other IRV2 members.
ARPrv | RV Refrigerator | RV Fridge Control | Install by Cooling Unit | RV Fire
I also have the ARP unit installed. Other than being a monitor or boiler temps it helped me greatly in troubleshooting my Amish unit when it cooled poorly. The suppliers of cooling units and the Amish do not like the ARP unit, they don't want us to know what is happening and don't want us to ask questions and know what our cooling unit is really doing.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:27 PM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by caheath View Post
Initial post: "Moisture from rain or washing the motor home..."
Quote:

Let me rephrase my concern. Are you sure it was from water or moisture? Was there any yellow substance/residue inside the compartment?

I have had the fix (black box) since 2008 and water/moisture has never gotten into the box. Is it a sealed box? I'll have to look at mine again.

I also spent the money to put in an automatic fire extinguisher. Just in case.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:10 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrosman View Post
I has been almost two months from the refrig fire. I noticed the refrig not working about 3am. No red light in back of refrig. Everything look OK. At 5:30 I drove to the grocery to get some dry ice. At 6:10 I come into the campground to see fire at my coach. I got my wife up and out of the coach. I garbed two fire extinguishers and they did nothing. I could hear something like a jet engine from the back of the refirg. Hooked up a hose and put the fire out myself. Insurance is paying for most of the cost but there are limits and deductibles. Also they will not pay for a new refrig because that is a known defect. So far Norcold is of no help. $800 deductible and 250 deductible for personal property and then a new refrig, about $9,000 out of my pocket. My advice is get rid of the refrig. Almost lost my wife. Fix does not work all the time. So far two months living in motels finding someone to repair from a fire and insurance deciding what to do ,and with another 2 months to go with me paying because it is over the dollar total limit. I think I will be out about $12,000. We are full timers with no house to go home to.
Awful, but so glad you made it out safely! Norcold's "fix" is NOT a real fix. This is why I installed the auto release halon extinguisher.
Old 12-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Let me rephrase my concern. Are you sure it was from water or moisture? Was there any yellow substance/residue inside the compartment?

I have had the fix (black box) since 2008 and water/moisture has never gotten into the box. Is it a sealed box? I'll have to look at mine again.

I also spent the money to put in an automatic fire extinguisher. Just in case.
Yes, positive. Many people have reported problems with moisture triggering the error state. You are fortunate. As I initially posted, I installed an auto-release halon extinguisher because Norcold's "fix" is a joke.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's not really a "fix," it is a "work around."

The extinguisher is a good approach in any compartment that could have a fire.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:39 AM   #13

Can someone put up a picture of the Black Box with red light? Not sure about it.
Thanks
racerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerb View Post
Can someone put up a picture of the Black Box with red light? Not sure about it.
Thanks

YES ..Control Module (Recall Box) Can be 'reset' using a strong magnet.

2 questions should be asked/answered prior to resetting

1) Did this trip occur due to high stack temp........sensor is set for 700*F
2) Am I sure that the trip did not occur due to high stack temp
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, recall