Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 01:05 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
To Lube or Not?

We both have arthritis in our hands and don't have the grip we used to. The bayonet connectors for our black tank hook up seal so well that we have a very hard time getting them off. Is there some reason we should not put a lubricant of some sort - petroleum jelly, white lithium, whatever - on these connectors? Can't believe we are the only ones who have this issue. Thanks.
RayAndSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 05:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I think silicone would be fine.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
paz

Use silicone plumbers grease. It is made for use on rubber seals and O-rings in plumbing, so it lasts a long time when exposed to water.

Petroleum jelly may deteriorate the rubber seals. Other lubricants, even silicone spray, may have petroleum-based carriers that can also deteriorate rubber.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:08 AM   #4

I use silicone plumbers grease also. However here is another idea you may want to try for less than $10. Its called a Drain Hose Wrench.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sewer wrench.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	87107  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I use silicone plumbers grease also. However here is another idea you may want to try for less than $10. Its called a Drain Hose Wrench.

I learn something every day. had no idea something like this was available. Thanks.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thank you all so much. We will get both the silicone plumber's grease AND the wrench. Obviously we didn't know about the wrench, but the funny thing is that we had talked about the need for one. We had even looked at the two water filter wrenches we have and wished one of them would work. I don't remember ever seeing them online or at an RV supply store; guess you don't see something unless you are in need and know about it. Thanks again!
RayAndSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
I think silicone would be fine.
Mike, every time I've used silicone on movable plastic it caused it to seize. I used silicone spray on a sewer swivel fitting and next time I used it it would not swivel.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
On some airesols the carrier in the spray will attack some plastics. This may cause moveable parts to bind. If the OP just needs to lubricate the O ring area then silicone plumbers grease will be ok. I have used Sil-Guard available at auto parts stores . Comes in a 3 or4 ounce squeeze tube..
Old 02-28-2015, 06:54 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Mike, every time I've used silicone on movable plastic it caused it to seize. I used silicone spray on a sewer swivel fitting and next time I used it it would not swivel.
See my post #3. Many sprays contain solvents that can attack rubber - and plastic. Black RV sewer pipe and connectors are ABS, which is susceptible to attack by some solvents. Even if the solvent doesn't attack the plastic, swivel fittings often contain O-rings which frequently swell when exposed to solvent.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
See my post #3. Many sprays contain solvents that can attack rubber - and plastic. Black RV sewer pipe and connectors are ABS, which is susceptible to solvent attack. Even if the solvent doesn't attack the plastic, many swivel fittings contain O-rings which frequently swell when exposed to solvents preventing the swivel fitting from moving.

Silicone plumbers grease contains no solvents.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:27 PM   #11

Quote:
This would sometimes make my day. Between the tight space in the wet bay and my old hands the poop hose can be a real pain. Anybody else using this tool?
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #12

I've got a tool just like that to remove the Freightliner hub cap covers, and another one for the water filter and that one. One of my Dad's favorite sayings was if you are struggling to do a job you have two choices. One is to try harder or as they say get a bigger hammer. The second choice is to get a tool to help you do the job easier. Seems like there is a tool for every job, and I have a lot of jobs to do hence a lot of tools.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #13

Quote:
I went to Wally's World in Yuma today and bought one. Came back to the MH and couldn't wait to try it out. Worked like a charm. Cost all of $5 plus tax. Thanks for sharing!
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #14

Happy stinky slinky removal BVThunder!