Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2011, 06:42 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Toilet Flush

My wife and I have just purchased our first TT and we have been reading about black water tank problems IE toilet paper choices and using enough water when you flush so as to keep the bad guy solids in solution and not building the evil pyramid in your black water tank. So here comes the stupid question; When you flush how much water is considered enough to keep the black water tank happy???? My foot is on the flush peddle awaiting your reply!!
Thank you all for your replies.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:50 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We just use what is in the bowl, sometime using a bit more with the spray.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 AM   #3

If you are diligent about putting some water in the black tank after dumping, you should have no worries. Amount is dependent upon your tank size of course, but at least SOME.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ideally you want enough water in the black tank to just cover the bottom. How many gallons this equals is dependent on the shape of the tank and how long the drain pipe is from the tank to the shutoff valve. Secondly, you want to use enough water in the flush or in a second flush to wash away the poo pyramid. This is the biggest problem because it can plug the bottom of the toilet. Just look down the toilet drain with the valve open to see if a pyramid is forming.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you hear folks talking about this toilet paper or that, or how much water.. Close your ears

First: Toilet paper,, Many argue you need over priced Tethford Sandpa.. er, toilet paper. Don't believe it.. Scott single play is better IN fact most all single plys are better, some of the quilted brands are worse but the test reports I've seen.. Assuming I dump the tanks right after I dump.. by the time I get my pants pulled up, get out to the valve and pull the T-handle,,, IT won't make much difference.

Now the amount of water... That is why they make tank flushing wands and devices. A good idea is to fill the tank at least 2/3 before flushing (half will do) if needed, add water to get there.. Then ddo it again to rinse.. I have a "Tornado" rinser in the tank and will often let it spray (Valve closed) till I hear a change in the sound (Water reaches it) then I pull the handle and let it run a while longer... Don't clean the sensors off, that takes a Master Blaster wand. (I made my own, Valterra makes the for sale one)

But since you can always add more water during the "Rinse out" phase of dumping.. How much you add when you flush.. Do not worry about it.

Finally Chemicals.. Forget them. I do use a biological when I plan on a week between dumps. but in truth I don't think it's helping. But chemicals.. (Other than water and perhaps Dawn and Calgon (Dishwashing liquid, not anti-bacterial and water softener) not really a good idea, and the Dawn/Calgon only when headed for the storage lot.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #6

Chemicals: You'll hear lots of oppinions. I used to use them. They are mostly for a deoderant. I've learnd that if I rinse my tanks after each dump, I don't need to use the chemicals. We usualy camp for 3-8 days and have had no odor problem.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #7

I like to have several gallons of water in the tank. I like the bowl to be filled about 3/4 of the way full and then enough water to make sure the toilet paper goes all the way down to the tank. My motor home has a long tube going to the tank and the DW uses a lot of TP. My first motorhome had a short tube and was never a problem.

I guess any TP is good except an old Sears catalog.
dagray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #8

Use an RV/Septic safe paper and plenty of water...more is always better than less.

Re chemicals, we only use them in the summer as when the tank starts to fill there can be times with the exhaust fan running that some odors will come up during flushing.