Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Scott's 1000. Noted in their web site as OK for RV usage. Readily available at Walmarts everywhere. We have used it for many years without issue.
Me too. Walmart sells it a roll at a time too for 98 cents.

All 1 ply TP has worked for me
steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2016, 11:27 PM   #16

I have been using Costco Kirkland Brand for the past 5 years and never had any problems with sensors or clogs. I think many of the problems are caused by people not having enough liquid in the black tank before dumping... I always make sure its at least 1/2 full (minimum) before dumping.
ScottyBye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:37 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a washer/sprayer in my black water tank. So if the tank is low when I need/want to dump it I can just add water as needed to ensure a clean dump of the solids. I have a clear section in the 3" drain line allowing me to see when the flow has stopped. With that I see that the 1 ply paper we use is all broken down- no issues.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:58 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Do the "TP test" and you'll know.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
Is Marine/RV toilet paper necessary or anything that is safe for septic tanks ok?
No, RV specific is not needed. Expensive and often poor quality.

We use Scott's 1000. OK for RV per manufacturer's web site. Available at any Walmart in small to large quantity packages. Inexpensive. Good quality.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:47 PM   #20

Use this product and any toilet tissue that meets your fancy without problems.
Have been using Happy Campers for over six years and we use whatever we choose including Kirkland brand from Costco.

Happy Campers-Odorless-RV Holding Tank Treatment for Black and Grey Water Tanks
Old 12-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Being a female fulltimer who prefers boondocking, daily showering is not in my water usage plan. I have however discovered the value of wet wipe bathing. Those can not be flushed into the black tank so I bought this perfect little trash can that sits on the floor next to the toilet.

Camco RV Stainless Steel Trash Can - $14.99

The septic safe Charmin gets flushed but the final freshening is done with wet wipes that go into the can. And I have found that the plastic bags that hold 2 loaves of bread from Costco or Sam's Club is the perfect size liner for this little gem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:05 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toilet paper

Joe... No special RV paper is necessary. Nor is single ply paper. The only thing you need to use is plenty of water.
As to tank chemicals, my belief is that depends on how you use your equipment. If you are a fulltimer, no chems required. If your RV will be used intermittently then it may benefit you to use some digester chemicals. This is just my opinion.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
As others have said, any TP that is "safe for septic systems" will work. We have always used the Charmin Ultra Soft (for obvious reasons) and never have a problem. We have always used the Happy Camper (no relation) tank treatment and never have any odor or clogged drains!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We've been using Kirkland brand for years with no problems. Plus it's relatively cheap. We also use Happy Camper in our black tank and no issues.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe11 View Post
Is Marine/RV toilet paper necessary or anything that is safe for septic tanks ok?
We've used regular toilet paper for the 18 years we've owned our coach. NEVER a problem.

When we dump, we fill the black tank with water, raise the curbside with our HWH jacks and dump. EVERYTHING comes out. We have NEVER had a clog, build up or any problem(s)!
Just For Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
As others have said, any TP that is "safe for septic systems" will work. We have always used the Charmin Ultra Soft (for obvious reasons) and never have a problem. We have always used the Happy Camper (no relation) tank treatment and never have any odor or clogged drains!

Thanks to all of the Charmin users. I make Charmin for a living. We put a lot of effort into the design to offer a great product. A softer Charmin will be out soon. Also the new Charmin Essential is a great deal for more budget conscience users. The soft is very good for the price.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim&Paula View Post
Thanks to all of the Charmin users. I make Charmin for a living. We put a lot of effort into the design to offer a great product. A softer Charmin will be out soon. Also the new Charmin Essential is a great deal for more budget conscience users. The soft is very good for the price.
Thanks for your post! Does the factory where you work give plant tours?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #28

We tend to use the Scotts also, but have used just about all others as well. The key is to use plenty of water with each flush so there is plenty of water in the tank to dissolve the stuff. Also wait until your tank is mostly full so there is plenty of volume to move things out. If you have a black tank flush system use it regularly. Do not however use any of the butt wipes even if it is sold as septic safe. The operations of a home septic system versus a temporary holding tank with sensors are not the same.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet