RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2014, 02:30 PM   #1

Toilet water will not work ( froze??)

It dropped to about 12degrees last night. We had the water running, so our faucets work fine.

The toilet does not !

Confused. Any tips or help

We are full timers.

Pebbles bam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 03:04 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Luckily, if anything is going to freeze, the toilet is least critical since it can be flushed with a pitcher of water. If you know where the supply line is you could open access to it and apply heat by lightbulb or portable heater. Just be sure not to overheat and melt plumbing. Sometimes opening closets, cabinets, or drawers can allow heat into the affected area. Remember, it doesn't take a great deal of heat, so a small fan can move 68º air that, over time, will defrost as well as higher heat for a shorter, but more potentially damaging, time period. Once flowing, check for leaks by split lines.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #3

Thank you

Sidenote: 4 hrs after posting thread, I made the mistake by turning off the faucet. Now all the fauctes froze. What next!??

It will warm up tommorrow so hopefully the faucets will work, but I will still look into your tips.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #4

Your avatar make it seen that you are in a trailer so opening cabinets and upping the heat may be your only option aside from putting a low output heater in your water bay if you have one.

Make, year and model of your RV might help get a better response.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 AM   #5

95 Jayco TT

I seen s local RV storr had a heated water hose for the high price of $100
Old 01-07-2014, 03:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles bam View Post
95 Jayco TT

I seen s local RV storr had a heated water hose for the high price of $100
Man I always disconnect the hose to the unit and use FW tank and pump if freezing is possible.
I let the post tap drip on the ground.
The furnace has to run during low freezing temperatures. Not the time to save on fuel. Circulating air from furnace is best bet. Unit heaters cause cold sections inside a unit and walls get freezing cold
Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
I didn't realize your hose was freezing. Where I've been when it's predicted to drop below 32º campgrounds have required hoses be disconnected. I fill water tank and pump it. Take your hose inside to thaw, then only use it to fill tank. Leaving a hose hooked up and on causes even a frost proof hydrant to keep water in the stand pipe and freeze, perhaps damaging the plumbing. Don't waste your money on a heated water hose, it isn't allowed in many parks that want you to disconnect and allow the hydrants to drain back out of the frost zone. Inside the trailer, open cabinets and use fans to circulate the warm air.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #8

It our first winter in an RV. Learning the hard way.

We had the hose wrapped in foam.

I figured that heated hose was not worth it.

Might have to get some skirting for next year. I was thinking about that thick plastic that used for haunted house ( walls), if u know what I mean.

Any advice on skirting???????

It will warm up here in 2 days to about 50.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
def

Send a message via Yahoo to def
Most modern RVs are plumbed with PEX which will tolerate being frozen and thawed without damage. The fittings, valves and other mechanicals in the plumbing system are another matter.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Had the same problem.. For the rest of the night and part of the morning I grabbed my 4-cup measuring cup and filled it with hot water from the bathroom sink (That did not freeze, cold did, actually where it froze is common to both fixtures) and used 3 quarts to flush. Two in the bowel before I stepped on the pedal and one to rinse it all down and seal after.

Once the temps got up in the 20's it thawed.. PEX takes freezing well.

The hard palstic couplers and elbows and "T" and such, NOT so well

THEY, however, had aux heaters blowing on them so they survived.