RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
TPO Roof Replacement --- Fleece-backed vs Smooth

Hey Everyone,

I am about to replace the roof on my 1997 Bounder 34J. I have decided to go with 60 mil white TPO because I like the heat-welding and durability.

I have a question though... smooth-backed vs. fleece-backed?

Thanks,

ML

murphylawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2019, 08:56 PM   #2

Roof

If I had to replace my tpo roof. It would never be with another tpo. There is a spray on rubber roof that is guaranteed for the life of the coach. And its transferable as its
Stays with the coach.

Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Crazy Expensive...

Thanks for the reply...

I have really run this dog into the dirt... I am choosing TPO because I can save thousands of dollars by doing it myself. I used to be a mechanic, carpenter, roofer, and even a 6-G-R certified welder.

I am pretty handy and figure I can reroof my 1997 Bounder for about $1000 in materials, doing the work myself. I already have the tools I need, even a pneumatic riveter.

I can't logically pay someone 3-4K to do what I can do, just a little more slowly.

I like how TPO can be 'welded' and have already played with the stuff. It is amazing and I already have ideas for upgrades and plywood-footed solar panel mounts.

I was just looking for tech advice on the backing. My gut tells me to go with fleeced-back for adhesion.
murphylawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 01:16 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
I never knew there was a fleece backed TPO. At least not for RVs. I found the link below to be helpful understanding why to use a fleece backed product. Not sure I'd bother with it if totally removing the old roof covering and all the things mounted on it. Let us know how things go when you put the new roof on.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the fleece backed may be more problematic to glue. I replaced our TPO with EPDM and the contact cement had to be placed on both surfaces. Rolling it on the fleece???
Old 11-10-2019, 01:45 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphylawe View Post
Thanks for the reply...

I have really run this dog into the dirt... I am choosing TPO because I can save thousands of dollars by doing it myself. I used to be a mechanic, carpenter, roofer, and even a 6-G-R certified welder.

I am pretty handy and figure I can reroof my 1997 Bounder for about $1000 in materials, doing the work myself. I already have the tools I need, even a pneumatic riveter.

I can't logically pay someone 3-4K to do what I can do, just a little more slowly.

I like how TPO can be 'welded' and have already played with the stuff. It is amazing and I already have ideas for upgrades and plywood-footed solar panel mounts.

I was just looking for tech advice on the backing. My gut tells me to go with fleeced-back for adhesion.
I unfortunately tore a small section of my roof on my '08 Fleetwood Class A. It is fleece backed TPO FYI. I didn't know about the welding of TPO. I'll have to look into that.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, roof