Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2006, 04:51 AM   #1

Does anyone have any experience with the Trace (Xantrax) 1512 inverter/charger? I'm looking for good or bad comments. Along these lines, I want to replace my converter with an inverter/charger. Can I just remove the converter and install the inverter/charger at the same place in the circuit? Unfortunately, I don't have a wiring diagram for the rig ('05 Bounder-Gas).

Currently, I use a small 600W inverter for TV/SAT receiver/laptop and a 150W inverter for the SAT modem/router/printer. I want to install one large one to supply AC to all these and get rid of the two small ones. Not interested in running A/C, reefer or microwave.

Thanks,

Tincup

Margaret - She who must be obeyed.
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2006, 04:51 AM   #2

Does anyone have any experience with the Trace (Xantrax) 1512 inverter/charger? I'm looking for good or bad comments. Along these lines, I want to replace my converter with an inverter/charger. Can I just remove the converter and install the inverter/charger at the same place in the circuit? Unfortunately, I don't have a wiring diagram for the rig ('05 Bounder-Gas).

Currently, I use a small 600W inverter for TV/SAT receiver/laptop and a 150W inverter for the SAT modem/router/printer. I want to install one large one to supply AC to all these and get rid of the two small ones. Not interested in running A/C, reefer or microwave.

Thanks,

Tincup

Old 08-25-2006, 10:06 AM   #3

My Buddy has a new Bounder and he had the dealer install the inverter since we don't have the time these days. They did a pretty good job. I have the 1400 series Trace that I have carried from RV to RV. Going the permantet large installed inverter/charger is the way to go. You will need at least 4 batteries if you don't already have them and the charging rate and quality are just fantastic. Depending on what converter you have, not sure if you can just install it there as the Inverters tedn to be much larger. Usually a sub panel for AC is instlled to run the outlets and Microwave. You need to make sure the refer does not get installed on the inverter circuit as sometimes this is forgotten. I don't think I need to mention the A/C. Inverter needs to be closest to the batteries since heavy cableing is required. It is no quick easy job to do but the rewards when finished are plentiful. If you need more specifics, just ask us or PM me.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Just a thought tincup, but since you're upgrading you might want to consider a true sinewave inverter rather then a modified sinewave for future changes in consumer electronics.

When my last satellite receiver went belly up and I purchased a new, in my case, DirecTV receiver my modified sinewave destroyed it. I had a second older receiver so I've been using it. But in time I know I'll need to replace it also and when the time comes I'm going to purchase Xantrex's 400-watt True Sinewave and use it just for the receiver. My existing inverter is also a Xantrex, but it's a 3000-watt and to replace it with their sinewave model would be $1700 or so.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Tincup:

You CANNOT install the inverter where the converter was/is. The inverter needs to be close to the batteies and either wired to a 120v sub-panel (if you do not want to run everthing from inverter) or wired into the 120v main feed (then you chose what to turn on and what not to based on battery capacity, but not the A/C). In a previous RV I had the Trace 1512 inverter that you refer to and found it to be a very reliable inverter for the 3 years I used it.

Don

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #6

Thanks to everyone for responding and the information. I will be mounting the inverter next to the batteries and wire the output to the 120V main feed, I will not run the reefer or A/C off of it.

Tincup

Old 08-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Paul:

Don't discount the idea of running the fridge off the inverter (at least while driving). I have been running ours from the inverter while underway and it works great. The alternator is more than enough to replace the amps that the fridge uses from the batteries. Just remember to turn the fridge and the inverter off when you stop.

Once you have the inverter installed are you planning on taking the converter out? It really becomes useless weight with the 3 stage battery charger that is part of the inverter.

Don

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #8

Don,

Good point, I will run it while underway. Currently, I run the fridge on gas while driving.

Yes, I will remove the converter, no point in hauling it around.

Thanks,

Paul