Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2015, 02:23 AM   #1

Travel Trailer - Battery Isolator - Do I Need One?

I've been thinking about installing a battery isolator to keep my truck and trailer batteries separate. On doing some research, I find two camps on this issue. Some say it's a must do, while others say not necessary. What do you folks think? Thanks for your help.
Blue Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2015, 04:14 AM   #2

You could pull the trailer plug, at night.

I would put a relay under the hood that only connects the charging wire, when the key is on.

Another option is get a Yandina or Victron, battery combiner. A very simple fix. Find the wire, in your truck, that supplies trailer power, cut it and and hook it in between.

Isolators are old technology and need more installation work. Plus there is some voltage drop thru them.

You could just get a 30 amp diode and wire it in. They work like a one way valve, only letting power travel to the trailer. Problem is, the voltage drop, again.

There are many ways to do what you want to do.

Good luck
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:25 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You didn't say what your tow vehicle was, my Chevy 7 pin plugs only supplies power to the trailer when the Key is on. Powering your trailer also charges the trailer battery, important when you need your emergency disconnect switch.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #4

As mentioned above, if your vehicle was not factory equipped with a 7 pin trailer plug then adding a relay for the battery charge pin is th3 the best option. Also, you'll need at least 8 gauge on that wire from the battery to the 7 pin connector. On my highlander, I had tapped into the vehicle's position lights, I just turned them on if I wanted to activate the relay.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_vfox View Post
You didn't say what your tow vehicle was, my Chevy 7 pin plugs only supplies power to the trailer when the Key is on. Powering your trailer also charges the trailer battery, important when you need your emergency disconnect switch.
Sorry. TV is a 2011 Chev 1500 and the terminal is hot all the time, regardless if the key is on or not.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #6

That can't be right... I'm wondering if maybe the relay has failed in the closed position.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #7

I agree with marcham, the terminal should only be hot when the ignition is on. Did someone modify the wiring or was it added after the fact and possibly installed incorrectly.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldWing2003 View Post
I agree with marcham, the terminal should only be hot when the ignition is on. Did someone modify the wiring or was it added after the fact and possibly installed incorrectly.
Came from the factory not connected. I couldn't understand why the power terminal in the 7 pin did not have power, so I searched online for a solution. I learned where the wire was located under the hood (it had a connector already on it) and which terminal in the fuse box to connect it to. I also had to buy the special fuse to complete the circuit.
Everyone has been telling me to simply make sure that I unplug the 7 pin if I leave the trailer connected overnight. If the circuit was not hot all the time, what would be the need to unplug the connector?
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Hill View Post
If the circuit was not hot all the time, what would be the need to unplug the connector?
If the charge circuit is dead when the ignition is off , you don't need to unhook the trailer wiring over night.
Most newer trucks with the trailer tow are equipped with the relay to shut the circuit off, so the owner doesn't have to remember to re-connect in the morning; and drive off with no lights or trailer brakes.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:37 PM   #10

This may help Go to the end and look at Finalizing connections

Brake Controller Installation for 2007(New Body Style) - 2013 GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado | etrailer.com
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 10:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
Thanks Cliffy, that's exactly what I did, but the terminal in the 7 pin is always hot.

Tags
battery, travel, travel trailer