Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2018, 05:05 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Flag View Post
JD11, so was your return trip during January? We will be returning to Illinois in early March.
Yes, it’s was basically the Christmas break for my son from school so we came back right after New Years.

For me the big lessons were:
1) little flexibility on time subjected me to weather I didn’t really want to in and 2) I know a lot more now about cold weather and prepping for it with an RV.

Enjoy the trip and travel safe!
JD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 07:42 PM   #16

Yes, that would be a tricky time of the year. Especially, in the midwest. Hopefully, the bad winter weather will be over with by the time we start heading back. We all continue to learn! It certainly helps to have sites like this where one can gain some wisdom from other rv owners. Thanks again!
Col Flag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:11 PM   #17

We too are making our first trip to Florida this winter. Do you guys run the refrigerator in the cold weather?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:24 PM   #18

I honestly haven't thought about that. I am thinking we will leave it off until we get to where it is warm enough to de-winterize. I am hoping that will be no further south than Macon, Georgia, or another location 12 miles south of where we live in East Central Illinois. Perhaps someone else on this site has a suggestion.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:35 PM   #19

American Coach Owners Club
I head south Every February-- around the 5th or so -- I leave fully winterized with a few gallons of water for flushing - Usually in South Georgia I fill the water up and De-winterize on the way down.
I take I-74 to Cincinnati --then 75 on down .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #20
tcg

I'm not sure why you wouldn't turn on the fridge. If it has to do with the ice maker can't you just shut the water off to the ice maker or would it even matter if you're not turning on the water until a warmer climate.

Last time we went to Florida from Michigan in the winter, we left in freezing conditions and did not dewinterize until somewhere in Alabama but the fridge was full and on the entire time. It's a LP/AC fridge no ice maker.

On the way back we winterized in Tennessee but left the fridge running until we emptied it at home.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:13 PM   #21

Thank you NHRA225 and tcg. We will leave our fridge on as well. We will probably go I-65 to US231 to around Dothan, Alabama. We will likely wait and de-winterize there. This is all new to us. Usually, our camper is in storage from December to around March or April. Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcg View Post
I'm not sure why you wouldn't turn on the fridge. If it has to do with the ice maker can't you just shut the water off to the ice maker or would it even matter if you're not turning on the water until a warmer climate.

Last time we went to Florida from Michigan in the winter, we left in freezing conditions and did not dewinterize until somewhere in Alabama but the fridge was full and on the entire time. It's a LP/AC fridge no ice maker.

On the way back we winterized in Tennessee but left the fridge running until we emptied it at home.

I have been reading that the absorption fridge shouldn’t be run if the outside temperature is below 20 degrees.

I also have an outside freezer that uses a compressor, thinking we will need to leave that off and unused until we get to warmer weather.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #23
tcg

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I have been reading that the absorption fridge shouldn’t be run if the outside temperature is below 20 degrees.

I also have an outside freezer that uses a compressor, thinking we will need to leave that off and unused until we get to warmer weather.
Just checked a manual, you seem to be right. The Norcold manual I looked at said it might shut off or not cool below 32 degrees.

Interesting, we drove with temps in the 20s and the fridge kept working. If I were to do it again I would definitely research more.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:43 AM   #24

We’re thinking of taking a couple of soft sided coolers with food for the trip and keeping them in the towed vehicle to help keep them cool. Once we can start the fridge we can move the items inside and stock the fridge.

Tags
travel, winter