Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #1

Tripping breaker

Last night I tripped the breaker in the garage I am plugged into (shore power) it is a 20 amp gfci. I have been plugged into the same receptacle for 3 days now and all of a sudden it tripped and I can't stop it from tripping. Is there any simple troubleshooting I can do to resolve this issue. It worked fine and now won't work at all it trips instantly.
1978Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #2

The breaker tripped or the GFCI outlet tripped?
Either you actually have a problem, or the GFCI or breaker is wore out. GFCIs are terrible to plug high draw things into.
I'd get a dedicated 30A outlet.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
The breaker tripped or the GFCI outlet tripped?
Either you actually have a problem, or the GFCI or breaker is wore out. GFCIs are terrible to plug high draw things into.
I'd get a dedicated 30A outlet.
X2!
My coach has been connected to a 20A GFCI outlet for months at a time for over 10 years.... (I did have one receptacle go bad after 3-4 years, which I had to replace).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #4

The outlet is not gfci but the 20 amp breaker in the garages fuse box is and that's what I keep tripping.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #5

GFCIs in series don't work well in series (not unsafe either). Some people trying this is at a cg find tripping problems. You could try changing out the old 20A GFCI breaker (or recept.) for a new one. Sometimes an old GFCI just doesn't work in series very well.

But it could be tripping because you actually do have a fault to ground somewhere.... I'd check the extension cord first. Could even be something faulty in the RV. You could for example, have an appliance plugged into a non-GFCI protected outlet inside the RV that is leaking current to ground and would not normally be detected. Then if you have a GFCI downstream somewhere from the RV, like your case, that GFCI will trip. GFCIs trip for a reason....

If you're plugging into a 20A recept., I hope your cord is minimum 12 gauge, 20A rated otherwise you could overload the extension cord and be causing damage. Maybe you even have damaged the cord already? Ordinary extension cords are often only #16 gauge and not even capable of a continuous 15 amp draw. IIRC, they're only good for 13 amps at max. 25'. If you have 20 amps running through a 13 amp cord for extended periods, that's not good. And if you have voltage drop, other problems can arise, esp. if you're running an AC unit. If you've got 2 or more light duty cords over to your unit, you are asking for problems. Just a word or two of caution....

Also, if you keep plugging your extension cords in when the power is still live, you'll be damaging the contacts in the plug and connector, esp. if they're light duty cords and you'll eventually melt the plug and/or connector. The converter causes this to happen due to the initial momentary inrush current and causes pitting on the contact surfaces. Has happened to me twice before until I finally installed a permanent 30 amp recept, in the carport (along with a disconnect switch). One of them actually started to melt and smoke out in the driveway. If you are drawing 20 amps through a 13 amp cord and you have pitted contacts, you can be certain something's going to fail in short order. If you have a GFCI at the source end of the cord, I think the GFCI will probably trip on ground fault before it does on overcurrent and causes serious damage but I wouldn't bet on it.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978Beaver View Post
The outlet is not gfci but the 20 amp breaker in the garages fuse box is and that's what I keep tripping.
Different type of GFCI, perhaps the same solution.... replace the GFCI.

If you have another GFCI breaker in your panel exchange them an see what happens.

Mel
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #7

What would be the easy way to find the ground to fault?
Old 09-02-2013, 02:04 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Turn off all the breakers in the rv. Reset the breaker in the garage and see if it stays on. If it does stay on then one by one begin turning the breakers in the rv and when the breaker in the garage trips that circuit will be your problem area to investigate. If it's a long run from the garage to the rv have a set of walkie talkie's so someone can tell you when or if the breaker trips. If you have a spare breaker that is not a GFCI replace it for the one that keeps tripping. In the end it could be just a bad breaker in the garage.
Another note, if you've had a lot of rain and your cord is laying on the ground it could have picked up moisture which in turn will trip the GFCI.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #9

Ok, so all the breakers are off in the RV but it still trips the breaker. I plugged a window unit air conditioner into the same outlet and it doesn't trip the breaker. I am pretty stumped,like I said I am VERY new to this
Old 09-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #10

Try substituting another extension cord(s) for the one you have in place now. Or maybe take your cord and try plugging it in to another GFCI elsewhere in your house and with and without a test load plugged into it.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #11

Even if I don't use an "extension cord" and just use my shore power cord from the rv with an adapter to the regular 3 prong male that goes into the garage receptacle, it still trips the breaker as soon as I switch it on.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #12

The next simple test I can think of then would be to turn off the 30 amp break er in the panel inside the converter and as you have tried, plug the 30A cord (with adapter) directly into your garage outlet. That would eliminate the possibility of a problem with branch circuit wiring in your unit or defective appliance. If still a problem, maybe a defective 30-15A adapter? What if you just plug the adapter into the garage outlet and not the 30A cord?

If still a problem after than, maybe the 30A cord is defective.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:19 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My thought here is still moisture in the cord. You've tested the a/c and the breaker holds. So If you have a "non" GFCI breaker, replace it for the GFCI in the panel now and see if it stays on. We had some good rain come across the state about the time you said that problems started, that's why I'm thinking moisture. Sorry to see you're all the way accross the state from me or I'd come over and take a look see.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #14

Well it's been 3 days and I still haven't resolved the NO POWER dilemma I'm having. The extension cord works while not connected to the RV. The 30amp adapter doesn't trip the breaker while not connected to the RV's main shore power cord. So I guess the last thing would be the main shore power cord itself?