Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Twisted 50A power cord

Our 50A power cord after the first 4 feet, looks like a cork screw all the way to the plug end. It wasn't like this originally, but we use the moho alot, we average over 10K mi per year including all trips, short and long, quick one night stays, etc.

I think the cord looks like that because we haul it in and out frequently. When I coil it back up in the bay, I wind it in a circle and it lays horizontal on the floor.

Also, can anyone tell me why an "RV" 50A power cord is so thick vs. a regular 50A 4-wire? I would like to replace it with the regular 50A wire which is actually thinner overall in outside diameter. It would be less weight and easier to coil up. I'm thinking, perhaps the RV power cord must have extra insulation as it lays in the sun and on the ground when being used; a safety thing perhaps?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #2

Not sure what extension cord you're referring to as a replacement. The 50 amp cord on your coach uses (4) #6 wires, Red, Black, Green and White. I've cut them apart before and they don't seem to have any more insulation than a RV 50 amp extension cord.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 05:07 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
RV power cords usually have very thick outer insulation due to the abrasion they receive when taking them in and out of the storage bay. It would seem the one you have that is twisting is of low quality. Maybe the original was replaced sometime in the past with something that is not meant for RV usage. Mine is very heavy and stiff ( when cold ) but it is in great shape.
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:41 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My 50A reel electrical cord is twisted internally also. If it ain't broke....
Old 05-14-2019, 12:40 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
...I think the cord looks like that because we haul it in and out frequently. When I coil it back up in the bay, I wind it in a circle and it lays horizontal on the floor...
I can’t imagine doing this with a cord as bulky as a 50A, but when you “... wind it in a circle...”, do you wind it on your arm from hand to elbow? It’s quick, convenient, and guaranteed to twist the internal conductors over time, cork-screwing the cord and making it impossible to coil neatly.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Fiesta48--I know, but it bugs me. It doesn't coil as well either with the corkscrews in it.

JFXG--It would be impossible to wind it on my arm from hand to elbow, it is thick and very heavy and if I tried it, I would be in the ER with a dislocated shoulder, I'm sure.
Rodg495-- I bought the coach with 9300 mi on it, so it is the original power cord. And yes, it is very heavy.

Thank you all for your inputs, I guess I will live with it for now until I get a wild hair and just replace it.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:50 PM   #7

I just finished replacing mine a few weeks ago. The original cord was shrinking! The outer insulation pulled away from the plug and shrunk about 3 inches.

My replacement cord is just as thick, but it is a LOT more flexible especially in the cooler temperatures. I've used it once at freezing temperatures and if much improved in flexibility compared to the original cord. I made a 50 amp extension cord out of the original power cord so now I have a 30 foot power cord and a 30 foot 50 amp extension cord.

Picture showing the beginning of the outer jacket shrink. The other picture showing the cord I bought from Amazon.Com.

BTW the 30 foot cord weighs 21 pounds and both the original and new cord have (3) 6 gauge and (1) 8 gauge wires in them.

Note in this Amazon web site, it shows plugs on both ends, but in fact the wire only has the male plug since it is a replacement power cord.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LH2HP4E..._t2_B00LH28B56
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shore Power 17.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	246126   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shore Power 22.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	246127  

2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
My guess is the twist is caused by the way you wind the cable. Learn to do the over/under:

https://youtu.be/cpuutP6Df84

With larger cables you do the same thing but with the cable on the ground.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:55 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
If it "cork screwed" then it has most likely had waaaaaaay to many amps pass through it.

I've seen this many many times on standard 20 amp extension cords that have run tools and what not.

A lot of times it's due to running an air compressor on a long cord such as a cheap home style cord.

I'd replace it. Get a good quality cord. If it's currently a 50' maybe get a good quality 30' cord to shorten the distance from the power source to the coach.
stinger608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #10

When cables are made, some manufactures will lightly twist the multiple conductors adding a filler along side the conductors to make a solid shape. Then the outer jacket is applied. If the filler material is omitted or inadequate and the outer jacket shrinks, then the cable can look like it has a corkscrew shape.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
Our 50A power cord after the first 4 feet, looks like a cork screw all the way to the plug end. It wasn't like this originally, but we use the moho alot, we average over 10K mi per year including all trips, short and long, quick one night stays, etc.

I think the cord looks like that because we haul it in and out frequently. When I coil it back up in the bay, I wind it in a circle and it lays horizontal on the floor.

Also, can anyone tell me why an "RV" 50A power cord is so thick vs. a regular 50A 4-wire? I would like to replace it with the regular 50A wire which is actually thinner overall in outside diameter. It would be less weight and easier to coil up. I'm thinking, perhaps the RV power cord must have extra insulation as it lays in the sun and on the ground when being used; a safety thing perhaps?
Could you post a picture of the corkscrew cable?
Old 05-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I just finished replacing mine a few weeks ago. The original cord was shrinking! The outer insulation pulled away from the plug and shrunk about 3 inches.

My replacement cord is just as thick, but it is a LOT more flexible especially in the cooler temperatures. I've used it once at freezing temperatures and if much improved in flexibility compared to the original cord. I made a 50 amp extension cord out of the original power cord so now I have a 30 foot power cord and a 30 foot 50 amp extension cord.

Picture showing the beginning of the outer jacket shrink. The other picture showing the cord I bought from Amazon.Com.

BTW the 30 foot cord weighs 21 pounds and both the original and new cord have (3) 6 gauge and (1) 8 gauge wires in them.

Note in this Amazon web site, it shows plugs on both ends, but in fact the wire only has the male plug since it is a replacement power cord.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LH2HP4E..._t2_B00LH28B56
Your cord can be easily fixed. Stretch out on the ground on a bright sunny day.
Clean the cable and the inside the plug with alcohol. Starting at the opposite end from the plug start sliding the outer jacket towards the plug. More than one set of hands help.
When you get the gap almost closed, coack the cable into the plug. Squirt Super glue in around the plug. Let dry.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #13

I gave some thought about fixing it, I was just going to use a new male plug. But that cord was not the most flexible in cold weather! Besides making it into a extension cord just seemed to be a good idea!

Speaking about male/female 50 amp plugs, I bought a good set of them. Really made well. "easy to wire". Well that last part was a lie. Who ever designed that plug must have designed it for wire smaller than 6 gauge. After some colorful words I finally got everything to fit and was tightening the clamps. The instructions indicated "tighten securely". One of the plugs clamp broke as I was doing just that. The company I bought it from sent me a new one for free, but then she said "don't tighten it so much next time"

Tags
power