Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

Uh Oh, A/C Seems to Have Issues.

And it's really not a good time. It was 109 when we arrived at the campground and knew it would take some time to cool the coach down but the front A/C is not doing it's part. The rear is pumping out cold air and the front is pushing out warmish air.

I've read where roof A/C units are not designed to be recharged which is a pity. So I assume we're looking at a replacement. What we have is a 13,000 BTU Dometic. I have questions.

1. We're supposed to be here at Navajo Lake till Monday but it's so stinking hot that we're hauling butt tomorrow and hope to land in Moab, UT. Is there anyone in Moab that can look at the unit and/or replace it?

2. If we have to replace it, should can we go to 15,000 btu with the existing wiring?

3. Do we have to stay with Dometic or can we get something else and if so, is there a better option?

We are heading north just as fast as we can get there!

Thanks for any advice.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2016, 06:56 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I installed a @15k Dometic Penguin last fall.

It seems to work fine, but I am not in 109 degrees or in my MH......

My decibel readings are similar between the 13.5K rear unit and the new 15k front unit.

I found that there were many models of Penguin II AC units.

I needed it to be ducted, heat pump, and single thermostat. The only model that had those three features was the high capacity model.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

I should have asked about the cost of the unit and installation. Also, about how long does it take for the installation. I am being optimistic that we can find a place with them in stock and they can get right on it. It doesn't hurt to hope!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:15 PM   #4

Also, is this unit also a heat pump?

I'd really appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
Also, is this unit also a heat pump?

I'd really appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks!
If you can use this unit for heating then it is a heat pump.

Also Moab is hot too in the summer, and its a small town, I would call any places up there to see if they have an A/C in stock before you depart, maybe find another shop along the way.

I am no expert, but I would definitely ask if you switch brands if its compatible with your current thermostat

Because we are approaching the weekend, I would try to get this done tomorrow or you might be waiting until Monday
Old 07-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #6

We have A/C 1 and A/C 2 (not air con) which we turn on for hot water and heat and also have the Oasis system, all of which are controlled by the same control unit. That's why I didn't know if the roof units were also heat pumps. I can't find anything in all of the manuals that sheds any light on it.

Moab is on our way north and I would be surprised if there is someplace to do the work but since there are so many RVs that travel there, I thought there might be a chance.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:38 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
If you can get heat out of the same vents as cooling, then it's a heat pump. Unfortunately, the closest town of any size to Moab that might have decent RV service is probably Grand Junction, Colorado. There is an RV service place listed in Moab, but it looks like it's probably truck and engine service.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #8

Then it's not a heat pump! Our air vents are in the ceiling and heat comes from vents on the floor.

Thanks, Lt Dan!
Old 07-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #9

I have Google and everything I find using the numbers of the label indicates it's a heat pump too so I'm really confused. Here is the label:

I'll make some calls when we leave here.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
I have Google and everything I find using the numbers of the label indicates it's a heat pump too so I'm really confused. Here is the label:

I'll make some calls when we leave here.
Not positive but i believe heater watts refers to a heat strip that is or can be installed in the unit. I don't think you have a heat pump.

Edited to say nevermind. Typing the first 6 digits of the manufacturing number into a google search brings up Dometic Penguin II heat pump, which you already know. Sorry i couldn't help..
Old 07-28-2016, 11:48 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
From that label it has a heat strip, and if you cycle your thermostat through it cycle's, it should have a "heat strip" setting, which will give you heat out of the same vents as your A/C comes out. They work good down to 35* or so, to take the chill off!
That said, I would check that the A/C is clean top and bottom, and if it is, then a replacement is in order. I would go with the same size and brand, for the ease of the hook up's, and so it will work with the thermostat as the old one did! If you are having a shop do the work, then, replacing with the same will be less time and labor, and a cheaper bill! If you change brands, size, etc. will mean different hook-up's, for the ducting, (fabrication work) and possibly the thermostat?
Not too many places stock A/C's, except the really big stores, (Camping World, or PPL, etc.) You can order online, (Ebay, Amazon, PPL, etc.) and have it shipped to a shop of your choice that is on your way, that agrees to swap it out for you! Google is your friend! Good luck! Rail!

PS. Just looked and see you have a 2011 year MH, so I would think it is just dirty, as my 1996 still has the orig. A/C's! Hope it just needs a good cleaning!!
Old 07-29-2016, 05:09 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Moab really does not have any RV repair facilities it's surprising given all the traffic they get. Not sure where you are right now, but if you come through Flagstaff on your way north, you'd have your choice of facility to get this done, incl. Campingworld.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:56 AM   #13

No Heat Strip Option on the thermostat. I was just thinking that one with the heat pump would be more expensive and if we didn't need it maybe we could avoid that cost.

We were in ABQ on Thursday and are now about 4 hours north in Navajo Lake State Park. I guess it makes the most sense to call CW in ABQ and see if they have one in stock. With all the negative reviews about Camping World though, we sort of hate to deal with them but desperate people do desperate things!

EDITED.... I'm a doofus. It apparently does have an "HP" mode and that must mean HEAT PUMP.

We always used the "Furnace" setting.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
From that label it has a heat strip, and if you cycle your thermostat through it cycle's, it should have a "heat strip" setting, which will give you heat out of the same vents as your A/C comes out. They work good down to 35* or so, to take the chill off!
That said, I would check that the A/C is clean top and bottom, and if it is, then a replacement is in order. I would go with the same size and brand, for the ease of the hook up's, and so it will work with the thermostat as the old one did! If you are having a shop do the work, then, replacing with the same will be less time and labor, and a cheaper bill! If you change brands, size, etc. will mean different hook-up's, for the ducting, (fabrication work) and possibly the thermostat?
Not too many places stock A/C's, except the really big stores, (Camping World, or PPL, etc.) You can order online, (Ebay, Amazon, PPL, etc.) and have it shipped to a shop of your choice that is on your way, that agrees to swap it out for you! Google is your friend! Good luck! Rail!

PS. Just looked and see you have a 2011 year MH, so I would think it is just dirty, as my 1996 still has the orig. A/C's! Hope it just needs a good cleaning!!
I was thinking too, that the unit had a heat strip. It's kinda confusing though because an internet search of the first part of the manufacturing number comes up with pages showing it as a heat pump.

On the age of the unit, my dad in law's rig is 3 or 4 years old and he's on his 3rd ac unit. Seems Dometic had a bad model/batch. Luckily, he had the extended warranty to cover it.

Tags
ems