Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2016, 05:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE: Supplementary Cooling Fans

A couple of weeks ago I posted about the old noisy cooling fans the PO had mounted in the back space of my Dometic 1292.
Well, I got the job done. Runs nice and quiet but I still am a bit perplexed.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467068788.429393.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  114.9 KB
OLD RATS NEST WIRING

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467068835.470490.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  102.0 KB
SLIGHTLY CLEANED UP WIRING

Yes, I cleaned up some of the wiring, cleaned out some dust and dirt. Looks better, easier to trace.

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467068590.474401.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  114.3 KB
OLD BANK OF THREE 3 INCH FANS

Name:   ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1467068685.528694.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  97.0 KB
NEW BANK OF THREE 5 INCH FANS

The new fans are not only far more secure, they run quieter and look a lot nicer (although no one will ever see them). Of the three old fans one was inop, so I have effectively tripled my fan capacity. I reused the same thermal switch, (see pic), but will replace it as soon as I can get a spec. I can only read a few of the ID numbers on the switch body, so I don't know the temp trigger for this. Any one have that knowledge? I know the switch works to some extent because the new fans cycle, but I don't know the desirable temperature point, and I don't know if the temp switch is in the optimum place. I know it was mounted near the top of the tower where you see it, but can't recall if it was on the top level, or one rung down. Would it matter?
But here's the really strange part: before, with two old three inch fans running, my fridge held steady at about 35-38 degrees. With the fans deinstalled for a few days, my fridge held steady at about 35-38 degrees. And now, with three new five inch fans humming away, my fridge holds steady at about 35-38 degrees.
But the service area sure does look nicer!!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 05:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Much neater than the previous installation. Since 2 three inch fans did the same cooling as the 3 five inch ones, do you think it's more than you need? What's the temperature in the refrigerator if you turn the fans off? One on?

You might be able to save the batteries and have it quieter too!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I had all fans out for a couple of days the temps held steady, 35-38. The whole assembly is also on a switch, so I will experiment in the up coming days. We have some mid-90s days coming, so I'll check out just where the edges are.

2004 Element
Old 06-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #4

Great right up and illustrations, Thanks.

The box temps are more representative of the units T-stat functioning properly (thermistor, controller) which cycles the concentrators heat source.
The fans you retrofitted deal more with the heat removal efficiency resulting in reduced call for concentrator run time (reduced energy consumption from heat source).
Reduced probability of premature unit failure due to "crystallization" which is common to the demise of absorption refrigeration devices.
In the upper design envelope approx. +100 deg. ambient it will maintain box better.

Happy motoring.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Glad you got the problem solved John!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
....The box temps are more representative of the units T-stat functioning properly (thermistor, controller)...........

............In the upper design envelope approx. +100 deg. ambient it will maintain box better...........

Thanks for the explanation-- I hadn't really thought it through that way.

Now..... thermistor. I've read that moving the thermistor up or down on the internal fin will change performance. How much movement, and which direction?
Temp switch controlling the fans..... When you say "+100 degree ambient", do you mean that my fans should trigger on at 100 degrees, or at 100 degrees over ambient-- like 170 or so? Thanks!

2004 Element
Old 06-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
John;
On my old Norcold, the sensor switch was mounted to the condenser fins on the hot side. It was set to come on at 135 degrees. When I replaced the cooling unit with an Amish, they had a mounting spot for the sensor closer to the boiler tube so the fans would come on earlier. The added air flow will make a difference as the ambient air temps rise. You probably have adequate air flow now just due to convection flow as the hot air inside rises out the top.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #8

X2 Lt Dan.

"The added air flow will make a difference as the ambient air temps rise. You probably have adequate air flow now just due to convection flow as the hot air inside rises out the top."
Those klixon switches are spec'd at a set temp. (example 135) so their placement can somewhat adjust the effect desired. No reason to run the fans in cooler ambient temps. they should generally cycle (not literally, but with a delay) with the concentrators heat source causing those tubes to heat up.

I'd leave the evaporator (Cooler) thermistor in the lower fin corner suggested by manufacturer.

(two Rescued Boston "Terrorists") LOL , cute! DW and I got a chuckle.

Happy motoring.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, fan