Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2018, 06:01 AM   #1

Upgrade Xantrex 2000w to 2500w?

A power surge seems to have thrown my Xantrex 458-2000w over the edge. Looking to possibly upgrade instead of just replacing--not for more power to the motorhome but hopefully a little more juice for charging the 900+ahr house batteries. Not sure about the wiring capacity, if that needs to be upgraded for this 25% increase in potential? Not sure if that causes a potential problem in the output wiring as well.

Thoughts? Experience?

2004 Monaco Diplomat 40'DST
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
gsgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2018, 07:29 AM   #2
Community Moderator

i replaced my 2000w xantrex d20 with a 2800w magnum ms2812 (psw). just a direct swap no wiring changes.

it has been 3 years. all is good.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #3

Should be a direct swap.2000 to 2500 is not a real big change. The breakers in your coach should be sized correctly to protect the wiring. You will gain with the increased charging capacity. The larger inverter may draw a few more watts unloaded .
Old 01-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #4

The only thing I see is the 120 volt input amps. The 2000 draws 21 amps and the 2500 draws 26 amps.

You need to check the inverter breaker on the main panel and upgrade it, if the wiring can handle it.

Being the old inverter drew over 20 amps, the original wiring is probably 10 guage already. 10 gauge is good up to 30 amps.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:16 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
There are a few different models of the Freedom 458. The 458-20D have two AC output circuits with integral 20A breakers, they do not require a separate sub panel for the inverter load circuits. Depending on the replacement (size and connected wire sizes) you may need to add a sub panel.

Post the exact model of your 458 and the replacement, or look into your owners manuals for typical installation wiring guides.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do as CountryFit did above. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i replaced my 2000w xantrex d20 with a 2800w magnum ms2812 (psw). just a direct swap no wiring changes.

CountryFit and Vsheetz, thanks for the recommendation. I've done a little research. I think there is a valid reason to go to a more pure sine wave due to the electronics I have inside. I'm going to upgrade to the Magnum, but do you have a remote panel inside for this or just let it do its thing all alone? I really liked the panel inside for the Xantrex that showed me what was going on, where the batteries were at in charging, change the load distribution, etc.... Recommendations for the Magnum?
04 Monaco DST 40'-Cum330ISC/Onan7.5K Gen/Silverleaf VMSpc/Garmin760MLT/WeBoost 4GX-OTR/EEZ Tire Mon/ReadyBrake->Rdmstr->'21 Jeep Glad Dsl/17KWh LFP/RO House Water/2400W solar roof/Victron MPPTs-Cerbo/Magnum 3000 Hybrid Inv-Chrg/Starlink ROAM
Old 01-21-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
Community Moderator

yes, i do use a remote for the inverter. i am using a me-rc50 as below. magnum has a me-arc50 which has more functions such as integrating with battery monitoring system. notice you can use the existing data cable for this remote, a plug n play.

my original d20 switch is tiny on the panel, where the remote won't fit; and i don't have a space to cut to make the remote flush mount. below is how the remote is mounted (the red arrow pointed area was where the old d20 switch was mounted).

my remote is raised from the panel. below are the looking up and looking at side:

it has been there for 3 years, guess it's working .

as for the model/s to recommend, some folks here got msh3012m, supposedly it's better than ms2812. you can check http://www.imarineusa.com/ normally they have good prices.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:38 AM   #9

Quote:
yes, i do use a remote for the inverter. i am using a me-rc50 as below. magnum has a me-arc50 which has more functions such as integrating with battery monitoring system. notice you can use the existing data cable for this remote, a plug n play.
Thanks again CountryFit. I think the ARC50 and the generator autostart would be really nice! I boondock a lot. I just upgraded all my batteries to nearly double the capacity, but I like electricity I'm not the type that sits outside in the shade sipping tea all day. Don't need the MSH model as my 7.5K generator is sufficient and the features on the MSH seem to really help those with smaller gens. Will hopefully order today and install it before we plan to leave at the end of the week.

Thanks again. This will be a wise upgrade. Glad I asked here!!!!
Old 01-22-2018, 06:57 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
CountryFit and Vsheetz, thanks for the recommendation. I've done a little research. I think there is a valid reason to go to a more pure sine wave due to the electronics I have inside. I'm going to upgrade to the Magnum, but do you have a remote panel inside for this or just let it do its thing all alone? I really liked the panel inside for the Xantrex that showed me what was going on, where the batteries were at in charging, change the load distribution, etc.... Recommendations for the Magnum?
I have not done the upgrade - yet. But have researched it for when the time comes that my Xantrex dies - as it will... CountryFit has covered the details well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:07 AM   #11

"... the MSH model as ... the features on the MSH seem to really help those with smaller gens."

actually, the MSH model in the 'HYBRID' version that are mainly for those wanting to bring in their SOLAR(sharing) power along side their Generator or Shore Power incoming amps, usually for larger coaches, but obviously applicable to anyone who wants to limit their Shore Power usage when SOLAR is prevalent, cutting down on electrical costs, and/or helping to power large draws when on less than 100a shore power, etc.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:29 PM   #12

Side note for those following this example.

Quote:

My unit arrived tonight. Will install tomorrow morning. Leaving the next day. Close one. One note for those that may follow this example with the same devices....or similar.

My Xantrex 2000 had dual circuit breakers built right into the front of it. There are different model out there. Dual in, dual out. While the Magnum will provide better power and is nearly plug-n-play swappable, in my case, I will also have to add/make a 120v subpanel to add two circuit breakers....which the Magnum does not provide. Little extra work, but I plan to find a place inside to add this so I don't have to go outside in my bathrobe in the snow or rain to flip a breaker back on in the morning....been there. Without this, could light up the wiring in the RV as the Magnum probably has enough power to push right through it.

Just an FYI for those copying this for their situation. I would still make the change to the Magnum and believe it will be a much better solution than taking the easiest route of the Xantrex. I run computers and electronics inside. The Xantrex sine wave isn't as clean. Plus, I'm adding the generator auto-start that can run on a schedule, when the battery gets low. Really like that add-on capability.

Thanks for all the input folks! Came quickly and just in time for me to make the change before a scheduled departure.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #13
Community Moderator

good to hear you got it going.
on the two output lines, just add a 20a breaker on each line then you are good to go. if you are in rush this time, no worry go out to have fun, remember to add the breakers when you return.

enjoy your trip afterward!

Tags
upgrade, xantrex