Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Upgraded Dometic Penguin?

A while back I was talking to a Dometic tech support guy about the Penguin low-profile A/C, and he told me that they are working on a new low-profile unit (not sure if it will be called "Penguin") that will have better airflow through the roof unit and also greater CFM's inside. Has anyone heard anything about this? We want to add a BR A/C but would like to wait for this improved model.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2011, 06:52 AM   #2

Commercial Member

JMINYARD,

The tech support rep was probably referring to the redesign necessary to respond to the mandated upgrade to R410A refrigerant. All a/c MFRs are in the same boat because the new refrigerant operates at a higher pressure.

Dometic has completed all of their redesigns. The Penguin (low-profile) is still a 'Penguin'.

For "better airflow through the roof unit" the new Penguin has a larger circulation fan - actually two small fans attached together on the same end of the motor shaft. The fan blades/fins are offset - one fan mounted different than the other. This results in more air flow through the condenser.

As for the room-air recirc fan, I'm not sure. I've only mounted two new Penguins so far and the recirc fan cannot easily be seen without tearing the unit apart (and no manuals out for the new units, yet!). I suspect the 'new' unit's motor has a higher capacity to compensate for the "larger" condenser fan and probably a larger recirc fan, too. I'll check with Dometic Tuesday to confirm.

The 'new' Penguins also have new model numbers. The heat pump version starts with 65 (e.g. 651516) while the a/c model starts with 64.

Hope this helps.

SUMDALUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMDALUS View Post
JMINYARD,

The tech support rep was probably referring to the redesign necessary to respond to the mandated upgrade to R410A refrigerant. All a/c MFRs are in the same boat because the new refrigerant operates at a higher pressure.

Dometic has completed all of their redesigns. The Penguin (low-profile) is still a 'Penguin'.

For "better airflow through the roof unit" the new Penguin has a larger circulation fan - actually two small fans attached together on the same end of the motor shaft. The fan blades/fins are offset - one fan mounted different than the other. This results in more air flow through the condenser.

As for the room-air recirc fan, I'm not sure. I've only mounted two new Penguins so far and the recirc fan cannot easily be seen without tearing the unit apart (and no manuals out for the new units, yet!). I suspect the 'new' unit's motor has a higher capacity to compensate for the "larger" condenser fan and probably a larger recirc fan, too. I'll check with Dometic Tuesday to confirm.

The 'new' Penguins also have new model numbers. The heat pump version starts with 65 (e.g. 651516) while the a/c model starts with 64.

Hope this helps.
I'm not sure we are talking about the same unit. It has only been two or three weeks since I talked to Dometic and he said that the first prototypes would be out in about 60 days. Ask them about that when you talk to them Tuesday and let me know the results. Thanks!

Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #4

Commercial Member

JMinyard,

Just got off the phone with Dometic Tech Support. Talked with Bob, a tech rep I've dealt with for years. Other that the changes that I mentioned in a previous post, he is not aware of any "new" low-profile A/C design in the works or prototype due out.

He also stated that the current (65 or 64) models also provides better air flow because Dometic changed from a metal evaporator housing to a plastic housing. This apparently cut down on air 'leaks' significantly.

Sorry I couldn't get any better resolution.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
JMinyard,

Just got off the phone with Dometic Tech Support. Talked with Bob, a tech rep I've dealt with for years. Other that the changes that I mentioned in a previous post, he is not aware of any "new" low-profile A/C design in the works or prototype due out.

He also stated that the current (65 or 64) models also provides better air flow because Dometic changed from a metal evaporator housing to a plastic housing. This apparently cut down on air 'leaks' significantly.

Sorry I couldn't get any better resolution.
Dale, the tech's name that I talked with was "Al". I called him at 800-544-4881. I don't know what to think about this

Old 07-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can also check out the Coleman AC's
Old 07-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #7

Don't worry about 410 Ref. EPA is phasing that and 134a out.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Perry, where are you getting your information? R410A is a blended refrigerant to replace R22 which is an HCFC. Apparently R1334A is being phased out of automobiles in Europe, but nothing anywhere else...so far. R134 Contributes heavily to the green house gases and global warming potential.

Here is some reading.
Questions and Answers on Alternative Refrigerants | Alternatives / SNAP | US EPA

If the "greenie wennies" keep on, we won't have any thing to use and all of the beer will be English style and warm.

On another issue, if you make the unit smaller and increase CFM, you will make the unit nosier....cannot get around that without spending a bunch of $$$$.

Ken
Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #9

I made a great living in HVAC. I'm retired and my Son lives on. He's the one that told me. He has,as I still do, have all 4 EPA certifications.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Just an update. I talked with my contact at Dometic this morning. By the way, I found out that he is definitely "in the know" about what is going on there. He has been with them at least 30 years and does a lot of their training & seminars. He told me again that they are definitely coming out with an updated version of the Penguin. He says it will probably be 30 to 60 days before the first prototypes are out. I am supposed to call him back in about 30 days for an update. I'll keep you posted

Old 07-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #11

Commercial Member

Looks like Bob needs to talk with Al.
LOL...
Old 07-08-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Perry, I have worked since the late 1960s in refrigeration and some into the A/C side. I have to keep up with the refrigerants and any upcoming changes. There is nothing on the horizon for changes with the 400 series refrigerants. Like I noted, the European community is moving to eliminate r134a due to the high GWP (global warming potential).

While you son may have "all 4 certifications", he is on the repair side and not the design side.

I would love to see his published source with his information.

Ken
Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #13

Quote:
As a side note the plastic housing also precludes the use of the optional heating element in the new Penguin models.

Tags
dometic