RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2018, 12:13 AM   #1

Upgrading toilet

Have plastic toilet now that the wife and myself hate, what's the best standard height ceramic toilet to get? Or is there a better toilet than that? I am assuming its pretty straight forward changing it out, changed out several in my houses over the years.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2018, 12:39 AM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
Have plastic toilet now that the wife and myself hate, what's the best standard height ceramic toilet to get? Or is there a better toilet than that? I am assuming its pretty straight forward changing it out, changed out several in my houses over the years.

Thanks
Before you get too carried away, find out just exactly which toilet system you currently have.. could be a straight gravity dump, or a vacuum assist or something else..Then shop accordingly..

saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:48 AM   #3

It has a ball valve, when push the foot valve it open and it sprays water and gravity dumps. Has a single water line going in at the bottom. I would assume that would make it a gravity toilet?
Old 05-18-2018, 01:07 AM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
That would be my guess as well.
Best thing to do is get the serial # and the mfg model # then search that mfg to see if there is a "drop in" replacement .
Reason being that unlike a residential sewer system , In RV's there are a plethora of manufacturers and each have their own idiosyncrasies, mounting methods and plumbing designs (and bolt patterns.)
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:01 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Miny.... itís really not that complicated. There are several lines of cheap plastic toilets available, but this is what youíre moving away from.
In the reasonable high end class there are really just two big playersó- Dometic and Thetford. I recently installed a Dometic 320 in my motorhome, and we like it very much. It is an RV toilet built with the features of a residential unit. 18 inches high, elongated shape, ceramic bowl, and solid wood seat. We recommend it.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #6

I was actually looking a a dometic 310...didnt see the 320 model, will check it out. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #7

We looked at the 310 & 320. We liked the 310 better and ordered it with wood, soft close seat. Installed late fall and very pleased with it. Canít remember the model we threw away.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #8
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
We looked at the 310 & 320. We liked the 310 better and ordered it with wood, soft close seat. Installed late fall and very pleased with it. Canít remember the model we threw away.
Just installed the same removing a older Dometic. The only problem was that the water inlet is on the other side. I got some new "hose" and replaced the end. Easy install and is a little higher. Another feature is that one can change out the seal from above without removing and disassembling the unit.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:28 PM   #9

Went from a Thetford to a Dometic 310......had to rotate floor flange 90 degrees and bolted it down....Lot better!
Old 05-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #10

Swapped out a couple. The Dometic 320 is the top of the line and comes in 2 different heights. On most it's 2 bolts, one water line, a new seal and done. Not even a half day job. I would highly recommend the sprayer well worth the extra money and in the end saves water.

Here's the thread on my swap with a riser under the flange.

Has Anyone Replaced the Toilet or Flange in a Vectra
Old 06-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #11

About to order...concerned the 320 is 2" longer, should I just order the 310. Is that the main difference?
Old 06-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #12

I don't know if you have a camper world near you but they have both the 310 and 320 on display.

I debated between the two and people said the 310 was a little too shallow in the bowl depth. Guys also commented that its easier to keep things under control sitting down with a elongated bowl especially when using while underway in a MH. There were also more complaints that the 310 bowl separated from the pedestal. They may have resolved this its been a year since I looked.

The 2 inches for me wasn't an issue cause I removed a long bowl SeaLand toilet. I also had to turn the flange and use a riser and flange adapter.

The 320 has a nicer more household look. You cant see the holes that put water in the bowl like you can on the 310. It doesn't have a soft close lid. It uses household toilet seats so you can do what you want. I don't care myself.

Looking back, The 320 does jut out more in the front than my elongated bowl SeaLand and in my bathroom its pretty tight and wonder if it would have made a difference going with the 310 instead.

Either way I have been very happy with the 320. As long as you fill the bowl a little more before dumping a load (really should with any toilet) there is no need for a paper cross or the sprayer. No leaking and no odors.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:25 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
this comes as a funny
last Friday my spring cartridge on my dometic, broke the spring.
so i called around the 6 or so camping places near me and no one had the cartridge. everyone told me it was obsolete.i was on amazon and the phone and fond a part number...my guy i had local used that part number and bam tues it arrived. saved us from buying new toilet
this is second time in 10 years the spring thing broke.
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:38 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Based upon this discussion, I ordered a 320 on eBay. $193 including shipping. Got it in less than a week from a reputable dealer. Will have it installed in a week or so.

Tags
toilet