Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #1
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Urgent help needed - PI EMS won't let power thru

My Class C has a 6 year old Progressive Industries EMS that is hardwired. We have been parked at DD's house since May. Yesterday the EMS blocked all power from entering the coach. How do I make sure the problem is the incoming power and not the EMS? Do they wear out over time?

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
More about the EMS and incoming power --

The EMS has a continuous blinking light that usually means it's analyzing the power. This model doesn't show error codes.

I suspect the incoming power, but nothing has changed, that I can determine, and we have been charging well for the last 4 months. The house is 97 years old, but was supposedly inspected last March before DD and SIL bought it.

There is 75' of extension cord -- 25' of 30 amp RV and 50' of contractor grade heavy duty cord with a 30 to 20 amp adapter between the 2 cords. I do not run the A/C and rarely use the microwave. The batteries and converter are primarily the only load. Even my TV is 12 volt DC powered.

Before I contact an electrician on Sunday, I'm hoping you can tell me how to check to make sure the problem is with incoming power and not the EMS. I do have a multimeter but am clueless on how to use it.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:17 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
you didn't say but...have you checked the breaker in the house controlling the circuit you're plugged into? have you checked the master breaker in your MH to be sure it hasn't tripped?

before I called the electrician I'd call PI. they have a very good tech support program and it would be worth a few minutes of your time. assuming that proves fruitless I'd move the RV and plug into a different source. that should answer the question of where the problem is originating and you can go from there.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:07 AM   #4

Are you connecting to a GFI outlet? PI will not work properly on that type circuit.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Contractor grade 50' extension cord does not say much. I would want an extension cord with at lest 10 gauge wire for that distance. If the other suggestion don't work out I would try to determine if you are getting resistance from the size wire being used. It can make a difference.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Put a meter on the outlet and check it. At the least get one if those inexpensive plug in circuit testers and see what it says.

The unit not having error codes is a problem. As you know, leaves you pretty much blind as to what is going on. If the unit is in fact bad, when sending for service see if they will swap for a unit that reports error codes.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #7
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have tried other outlets but no one here knows what outlets are connected on the same circuit. Nothing has changed except what was working no longer is. The power always stops at the EMS, regardless of the outlet. More than likely we have been on a GFI circuit since it is an outside plug.

Have any of you known of a PI EMS to fail? Next step is to call PI tech support.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 09-24-2017, 01:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
I have tried other outlets but no one here knows what outlets are connected on the same circuit. Nothing has changed except what was working no longer is. The power always stops at the EMS, regardless of the outlet. More than likely we have been on a GFI circuit since it is an outside plug.

Have any of you known of a PI EMS to fail? Next step is to call PI tech support.

Thanks for your suggestions!
You are using a standard household outlet ---correct?
Use a multimeter and test if outlet is good

IF outlet is HOT then plug in that 50' extension cord and check that you get AC power at the 'female' plug using same test as outlet.

Extension cord good....
Then plug in that adapter and check the 'female' end of plug
(30A is same type of plug as far as testing goes---120V AC between the TWO Slots)'

IF you have 120V AC voltage from Household outlet thru extension cord and thru adapter then issue could be with your RV power cord OR the PI EMS.
Hardwired Unit would need to remove/open cover and test for AC Voltage coming in via power cord

PI EMS can fail......it happens.
Power surge/lightning strike etc...
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
After Hours Technical Support:
We offer limited email support after hours, weekend and holidays. If you need immediate assistance please contact our Tech Support Team at: 919.267.6964. This service is for existing customers only requiring technical assistance beyond normal business hours.

Please leave a brief message describing the nature of your technical issue and an on-call technician will return your call, normally within one hour.
Phone: 919-267-6948 | Fax: 919-267-6975
Old 09-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #10

Hi Barb,

I'm not much help I think. The only PI unit I've used is a hardwired 50 Amp unit with readouts on volts, amps, etc. If yours has no readouts, they may be signaling through blinking light codes.

If your light blinks in an irregular pattern, watch the lights and write down the pattern (sequence of blinks). Give this info (if there is any) to the PI tech.

As mentioned, the PI techs are top notch and should be able to help.

Tom
TLGPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
I also have a hard wired 30 amp EMS. Occasionally when I plug in the MH into the garage outlet, the MH has no power. The error code is E-02 which means the ground is not working. I unplug everything and use sandpaper to clean the contacts on the extension cord plug. This has been successful. The extension cord plug can corrode just enough to cause the ground to be weakened and the EMS can't detect it.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I also have a hard wired 30 amp EMS. Occasionally when I plug in the MH into the garage outlet, the MH has no power. The error code is E-02 which means the ground is not working. I unplug everything and use sandpaper to clean the contacts on the extension cord plug. This has been successful. The extension cord plug can corrode just enough to cause the ground to be weakened and the EMS can't detect it.
What if you have a PE4?. I am having similar issues as well. I have a 50a at home and have used 3 diff campgrounds and mine trips on and off...usually throwing breaker on pedestal and on/off about 3 times and then it keeps going...
Old 09-25-2017, 05:34 AM   #13

The newer PI systems have a bypass switch that "removes" the unit from the electrical flow. Does yours have this? Have you tried running your camper on its generator to see if everything works?
Old 09-25-2017, 06:44 AM   #14

Check your extension for any signs of rat or mice chewing, I found mine damaged recently.

Tags
ems, power