RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #43

Okay I was able to isolate the source of the problem it seems to be the water pump.

what's really bizarre is I can turn the pump on for a short. time and use it and there's no problem.But if I leave the pump on for a half an hour or so all the sudden I'll lose half of my 12 volt power ... various lights..... the EMS will not light up and some of the lights will stay on it's really strange.

it's almost as if there's some sort of resettable circuit breaker that then eventually comes back on and everything is restored .....so I've been shutting the water pump off when not using it and haven't had a problem since....is it possible it's drawing excessive current and causing some sort of issue?I find it really strange and hasn't blown its own fuse....

MonacoMan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 03:50 AM   #44

Are you certain it is the pump itself or could it be the latching controller that is the culprit?
Name:   imageserver_3__1_65.jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  16.0 KB

Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #45

So, water pump circuit causes self resetting overload. Salesman switch is defective. Two sudden simultaneous unrelated failures is possible, but unlikely.

Is it possible the salesman switch is still working? Now that the pump has been turned off, maybe retest it.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #46

Get a gas heater backup!!!

I think that it makes sense for anyone who lives in their RV, particularly in cold climates to get a calor gas heater to be used in emergencies. I lost power in my RV and the temperature dropped unexpectedly to minus 4 degrees. I consider myself lucky to be here typing this right now as if I had not been woken the following afternoon, then I would not have made it through another night. With extreme cold you don't make the best decisions, you cannot use tools properly, and with the onset of hypothermia you become delirious and can do any number of stupid things.

A good way of seeing how you cope without power is to turn it off. Then you will know for sure which areas you are deficient, e.g.

Do you have a torch, can you find it in the dark, does it have batteries, how long will they last, do you have spares, can you change them in the dark, do you have candles, if so can you light them, do you have sufficient warm clothes as you try to sort yourself out, do you have food that you can eat without cooking....etc, etc, the list goes on.

If something is working then the assumption should be that at some point it will stop. I guess that you can take this advice to whatever level you wish. if you are heading off the beaten track then it makes sense to have a survival manual with you. You do not know how long it will take for help to arrive, or if it will.

If people think that I have gone a bit overboard here then please understand that I was prompted by someone asking for help because they and their RV were about to freeze, something I have first hand experience with.

Happy and safe travels people.
chadrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:20 PM   #47

Another approach

Glad to hear that you at least have some functionality back. Something I would likely try in your situation would be to disconnect the existing circuit(s) by removing the 12V lead into the system and reintroduce power with a fused jumper off of a known-to-be-good 12V power source. That way you can verify which component(s) are actually functional. It also provides a short-term fix that will get you by until you can find the actual root cause.

Good Luck!
TC Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:23 PM   #48

I have had similar problem. My breaker on my generator tripped. Reset and all was good.
Gazelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMan84 View Post
sorry to make another urgent post but today I came home from work and all of the 12-volt systems in the RV are not working except for the Magnum power management and the 12 volt battery heater which are working fine.

the batteries are also charging however all of my 12 volt lighting and most importantly my furnace controls are dead.

my electric water heater is also not working nor is the entire control panel for my slides tank water heater etc.

I don't know what to think it doesn't seem like it would be the inverter because the batteries are providing power but I have no 12-volt systems at all except for the bay heater which is working fine.
Check your inverter. You may only need to turn it off and back on.
revbucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:27 PM   #50

This may be way out there. I had a rat infestiation in my 5th FW. Fixed a lot of water leaks caused by the rats. Then I started having various electrical problems. Yep, the rats had chewed the wires even to my bedroom slide. I pulled my system panel, yes several wires were chewed. Look for rat dropping behind the panels in your basement.
Biff patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 PM   #51

Try this, depending on your inverter, we have been experiencing the same problem over and over where 1/2 of all the plugs suddenly dont work, no matter if generator, engine of inverter on. Go the the inverter, find the positive and negative main wires going into it. disconnect first the ground, then the positive. Sit for about 20 seconds, then reconnect. See if everything starts working. ?>? ? Good luck. If it works, be prepared to replace it.
adrainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Check Battery disconnect switch by the door. Inverter circuit breakers, turn them off and back on again. Do the same to the Main circuit board inside the coach.

Use the electric heater inside the coach and a small electric heater in the wet Bay or even a light bulb like a drop light!!

Good luck, stay warm.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:47 PM   #53

It's been 9 days since you requested help, do you have everything working now?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #54

No one has advised you to check your batteries and their connections!!! That would’ve been my first thought. I once had one cell cooking in a single battery that behaved somewhat similarly.

Any success getting to the source ?
Old 03-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #55

12v system not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMan84 View Post
if I can't manage to get the blower motor on my furnace going again everything is going to freeze and there's going to be severe damage is 5 degrees here
Donít know if you have fixed your problem yet but we have a 2003 holiday rambler endeavor and on the dash closest to the entrance door there are a bank of rocker switches the to the far right is a battery cut off that only cuts 1/2 of the 12 volt system try it and good luck
Lockman1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:49 AM   #56

Of Mice and RVs and Cars and Tractors and ....

The overload on the water pump circuit if present, could also cause the salesman solenoid to trip, but after such strain, it would be better to replace when possible any way rather than keeping a "strained or frayed" connecting device in the circuit. Varmints could have damaged multiple locations of the circuit as stated above, been there done that. Come spring, a thorough cleaning and trace down would be good. If you can run some additional shore powered heat sources into the basement and coach it would be good. Do make sure you are using anti freeze type (pipe tape heater or critter heat mat etc for basement, don't want to melt or set something on fire in the basement)!. In the coach similarly use a heater that wont catch something on fire. Forego combustion type heater when AC is available as you will create huge issues with moisture, co2 and co poison.

The water pump reset circuit could have been sized to prevent other fuses from blowing, would be good to put a warming tape/blanket or pad in that vicinity to keep ice from causing additional loads on the pump... that could be the whole trigger to every thing.

All the best, wow buffalo at 5 degrees wow. On a lighter note, that Punxsutawney Phil is just a big rat!

Tags
12 volt