Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2019, 10:24 AM   #1

Using a small generator into a 50 amp plug

Here is my question? Our 5er is wired for 50 amp input. Is there a way to say to get 20 amp 120 volt in to the trailer thru the 50 Amp plug if one wants to plug into a regular 15 amp or 20 amp circuit just to get 120 volts to the outlets and perhaps charge the batteries from a Honda 2000 watt Generator? If so would it just a matter of adapting the 20 amp to the 30 amp and then to the 50 plug? or much more complicated than that?

I do have an adapter to plug into 30 amps but courious about getting 120 Volts in from our little generator.

Thanks

Archie
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
They make 20 to 50 amp adapters also. I use a DIY version for winter storage. Obviously you would be limited by the 20 amp input.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #3

50A to 20A Adapter
https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-50-Am...5020/202307109
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #4

Since you have the 50 to 30 already, just get one of these;
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XX...=1481230760501
I always carry both with me just in case.
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Using a small generator into a 50 amp plug

I am not sure of the details but if you have trouble once you use an adapter you may need to build a little device that properly ground the generator. It is not hard or expensive. I am someone will jump in with the details. I used a Honda like that with my 50 amp 5fth wheels.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Even Wal*Mart has adapters for that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaone View Post
I am not sure of the details but if you have trouble once you use an adapter you may need to build a little device that properly ground the generator. It is not hard or expensive. I am someone will jump in with the details. I used a Honda like that with my 50 amp 5fth wheels.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding....how/why
Good article to READ
Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #8

I've been doing it for years. Just get the adapter and plug it in. You don't have to be an EE or get into physics. Start genset and plug it in. Just watch your loads. It can go through your surge protection also.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding....how/why
Good article to READ
Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

Ya it seems that I read something about another RV'er that was using a pair of Honda 2000's that would not not even charge his batteries, so this explains a lot. Reading here some RV's are wired to use a gen directly and some are not. I will assume that my 2019 Jayco will need this adapter. Any way to use a meter to find out if I need this plug mod or not? If I make it and try to use it and the 5er does not need it will it hurt the gen or the trailer.....so many questions!!

So here are the instructions:

It’s pretty simple to wire a special “Ground-Neutral Bond” jumper cable for your Honda or Yamaha generator which will allow you to power your RV through its voltage protection device. You can obtain or make a dummy 15 or 20 amp “Edison” plug with the Neutral (white) and Ground (green) screws jump together with a piece of 12 or 14 gauge wire (see photos below). This G-N jumper plug can be plugged into one of the generator’s unused 20-amp outlets, and the entire generator’s electrical system will be N-G bonded. You can then use the other 20-amp Edison outlet or the 30-amp outlet to power the RV.

So to be clear, if I take a short extension cord rated for 20 amp service, plug the male end in the gen, put a female 30 amp plug on the other end and jump the N-G in that plug end, then plug the 30 amp to 50 amp adapter in the jumped end and then the 50 amp into that, I should get 20 amp service to the trailer. Am I correct in that assumption?

Thank you all for responding. If that all it takes that is easy-peasy.

Archie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N-G-Bonding-Plug2-1024x768.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	267092  
Old 11-17-2019, 06:28 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You've gotten some good advice on this topic Archie, and your last post is spot on what you need to do.

I do the same thing to run my little travel trailer when needed.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #11

Thank you all for the input.

A new thought just came to mind.

Correct me if I am wrong here, So the electrical input from one of the 120 volt Legs of the 50 amp 240 v input goes to the battery charger keeping the batteries charged and then that current goes thru the inverter to supply 120v to the outlets? So the power coming of the Gen in the manner described in this post goes to the battery and then thru the inverter the same way? Is there no direct path to the 120 volt outlets?

As you can see I have a basic understanding of electrical current but not sure how this 5er is wired. We went from a pop up tent trailer to this 5th wheel so there is a learning curve involved here. So nice to know there you all are out there to share the knowledge. Tank you very much.

Archie
Old 11-18-2019, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwinger View Post

Correct me if I am wrong here, So the electrical input from one of the 120 volt Legs of the 50 amp 240 v input goes to the battery charger keeping the batteries charged and then that current goes thru the inverter to supply 120v to the outlets? So the power coming of the Gen in the manner described in this post goes to the battery and then thru the inverter the same way? Is there no direct path to the 120 volt outlets?

As you can see I have a basic understanding of electrical current but not sure how this 5er is wired. We went from a pop up tent trailer to this 5th wheel so there is a learning curve involved here. So nice to know there you all are out there to share the knowledge. Tank you very much.

Archie
Wrong. Most inverters are 20 or 30 amps, not 50.

The power from generator and shore power go to a auto transfer switch. That decides which power goes to the main breaker in the panel.

From the main panel, power goes to and then back from the inverter to the inverter powered breakers. Inside the inverter is another auto switch. It sends the incoming power right thru, if its there. If not, it makes 120 volt power and sends that to the breakers.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 01:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Here is my question? Our 5er is wired for 50 amp input. Is there a way to say to get 20 amp 120 volt in to the trailer thru the 50 Amp plug if one wants to plug into a regular 15 amp or 20 amp circuit just to get 120 volts to the outlets and perhaps charge the batteries from a Honda 2000 watt Generator? If so would it just a matter of adapting the 20 amp to the 30 amp and then to the 50 plug? or much more complicated than that?

I do have an adapter to plug into 30 amps but courious about getting 120 Volts in from our little generator.

Thanks

Archie
Yes you can adpt 50 amp to 20 amp and 20 to 50. You just will not have 240 volts. Straight 50 amp hook up is 240 volts. You only get what your shore power or gen supplys.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:20 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

Archie
As you have been told...no.

See diagram it that helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-11-18 at 2.18.30 PM.png
Views:	74
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	267289  

Tags
generator