Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2018, 03:53 AM   #1

Using a trouble light to heat a water bay

Hi,

Anyone using a trouble light to heat a water bay. If so what watt is it? and by how much will it heat the bay?

I am going to purchase one and a thermocube today.

Also can you successfully run it off an inverter and batteries?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #2

funny you should ask.

this is our 32nd season doung the RV thing, our 3rd season with our current MH (‘16 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q) but our first snowbird trip. we’re in Ft. Stickon, TX crawling to Mesa, AZ and had our first predicted sub-freezing night last night (the 8th). i disconected the water hose, drained and stored it. we planned to use the LP furnace to keep warm are blowing on them but the water pump and wet bay are vulnerable.

i’ve been carrying a trouble light with us since our first MH trip in 1986 and last night was the very first time i’ve ever used it. i put it in the wet bay to help keep it warm overnight. it has a 32-yr old 60-watt incandescent bulb (which still worked!). checked the bay before we turned in last night and it was warmer than it would’ve been without it.

the water pump was still a concern as that is located not in the wet bay but on the opposite side of the coach in the water heater bay. Winnebago Tech Support had previously confirmed that the pump area is not heated by the furnace but is adjacent to the hot water tank. so i left the electric water heater on all night (we usually do anyway) hoping that radiant heat would suffice.

i was up a couple of times during the night to check and according to my outside thermometer the temp never got lower than 39 so the issue was moot. but for peace of mind i’m glad i had that work light and that the bulb still worked!
Old 02-08-2018, 02:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
funny you should ask.

this is our 32nd season doung the RV thing, our 3rd season with our current MH (‘16 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q) but our first snowbird trip. we’re in Ft. Stickon, TX crawling to Mesa, AZ and had our first predicted sub-freezing night last night (the 8th). i disconected the water hose, drained and stored it. we planned to use the LP furnace to keep warm are blowing on them but the water pump and wet bay are vulnerable.

i’ve been carrying a trouble light with us since our first MH trip in 1986 and last night was the very first time i’ve ever used it. i put it in the wet bay to help keep it warm overnight. it has a 32-yr old 60-watt incandescent bulb (which still worked!). checked the bay before we turned in last night and it was warmer than it would’ve been without it.

the water pump was still a concern as that is located not in the wet bay but on the opposite side of the coach in the water heater bay. Winnebago Tech Support had previously confirmed that the pump area is not heated by the furnace but is adjacent to the hot water tank. so i left the electric water heater on all night (we usually do anyway) hoping that radiant heat would suffice.

i was up a couple of times during the night to check and according to my outside thermometer the temp never got lower than 39 so the issue was moot. but for peace of mind i’m glad i had that work light and that the bulb still worked!
Wow, thats one old bulb.

I will get a light from home depot and test it out.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Wow, thats one old bulb.

I will get a light from home depot and test it out.
Obviously, you have to use an incandescent light. Florescent or LED don't produce much heat.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Grampa always used a 100 watt bulb in the well pump house in central Mi and ever let him down
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:52 PM   #6

Thanks both,

I picked up two trouble lights at home depot. I have plenty of incandescent bulbs at home after doing a LED retrofit.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
The heater is out in our wet bay and I use a drop light with 100 Watt bulb. You would probably be fine with a 60 watt, but didn't want to take any chances!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
The heater is out in our wet bay and I use a drop light with 100 Watt bulb. You would probably be fine with a 60 watt, but didn't want to take any chances!
The ones I picked are 75watt. I will test them out this week as still cold here.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:00 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intothewild View Post
Grampa always used a 100 watt bulb in the well pump house in central Mi and ever let him down
As did my Grampa, and Dad, and myself - all of us lived in Iowa when we were doing this.
A 100 watt bulb ought to be just fine.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #10

I’ve use drop lites for years in my wetbay in sub freezing weather. Never an issue. I’m using heavy duty bulbs that are rated for garage door openers. They’re designed to take more vibration.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I use this in each bay I want to heat.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:48 PM   #12

Just a week ago, I bought a garage type light fixture and mounted it near the water pump with a 10' cord attached to it. I ran the plug end through the water fill compartment where the phone plug was that we never used. Now I can run a elec cord up into the water compartment alongside the water hose and just plug it in. I can even use a timer if I am going to be away, so it comes on at night. Thrift store fixture, cord, 75W light cost was $3. Got tired of using the wife's table lamp.
Also shown is 50' pocket hose to wash camper, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tank light.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	191956   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug end.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	191957  

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:08 AM   #13

Follow up

I will be returning the cheap HDX home depot brand light as the cage does not go all the way around. I will get a another yellow jacket one.

I used 60w bulbs, will test in the rv this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180216_080251.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	192527  
Old 02-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a 100 watt lamp in the valve end of the wet bay. the lamp is "Caged" like a trouble light so the lamp never touches anything. I use a Rough Service lamp.

IN the fresh water end there is not enough room so I use a string of C-9 Size (the old big outdoor type) Christmas Tree lightds, asbut 270 watts total assuming 9 watts per lamp. these do NOT get hot enough to melt plastic.

Tags
heat, light, water