Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Using Auxiliary Propane Tank

I want to use a 30# propane tank rather than the 24ga tank mounted on our motor home. There is a t-fitting already mounted between the coach tank shut-off valve and the regulator. I have purchased a propane hose that fits this fitting and my 30# tank. If I turn off the main tank, I am only getting a slight amount of propane from the aux tank. I wait a couple of minutes and enough pressure builds up in the line to lite one of the stove burners but it only lasts for a couple of seconds. What am I missing here? The system works fine when I am using the main coach tank.
Grandpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 12:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpavan View Post
I want to use a 30# propane tank rather than the 24ga tank mounted on our motor home. There is a t-fitting already mounted between the coach tank shut-off valve and the regulator. I have purchased a propane hose that fits this fitting and my 30# tank. If I turn off the main tank, I am only getting a slight amount of propane from the aux tank. I wait a couple of minutes and enough pressure builds up in the line to lite one of the stove burners but it only lasts for a couple of seconds. What am I missing here? The system works fine when I am using the main coach tank.
Grandpavan
I suspect that the problem lies in the shut off valve of the 30# propane tank.
Try closing that valve and then slowly opening it....(or try a different portable tank).
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll test that this evening - hooking it up to my bbq
Grandpavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:54 PM   #4

There isn't a regulator on the new line, right ?

The new hose may have a built in restriction as a safety thing.

Send pictures or brand and part #
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two or three types of "T" fittings.. one is called the "Extend-a-flow" this is a true "T" it has an "inlet" that fits into the POL fitting on the tank, an outlet that takes the original fitting that went into the tank valve (Modern ones have an ACME fitting that takes either the older POL or the new ACME connectors) and a "Quick Disconnect" Looks like the top of a disposable bottle.

The next is an "Extend-a-stay type This one has all the features of the Extend-a-Stay PLUS there is a 4th fitting It has a screw in plug with a hex head. This is the INLET for use with an external tank. Works well at least on my RV

NOTE: Both of these products are discontinued but under the names listed but if you go to an RV store and ask they can point you to the replacement products.

The third type of "T" is "Home brew" and I seriously recommend against those for they are dangerous.
Old 12-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There are two or three types of "T" fittings.. one is called the "Extend-a-flow" this is a true "T" it has an "inlet" that fits into the POL fitting on the tank, an outlet that takes the original fitting that went into the tank valve (Modern ones have an ACME fitting that takes either the older POL or the new ACME connectors) and a "Quick Disconnect" Looks like the top of a disposable bottle.

The next is an "Extend-a-stay type This one has all the features of the Extend-a-Stay PLUS there is a 4th fitting It has a screw in plug with a hex head. This is the INLET for use with an external tank. Works well at least on my RV

NOTE: Both of these products are discontinued but under the names listed but if you go to an RV store and ask they can point you to the replacement products.

The third type of "T" is "Home brew" and I seriously recommend against those for they are dangerous.
Why do you think that a tee from the plumbing supply (home brew) is dangerous?
Old 12-13-2016, 11:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Why do you think that a tee from the plumbing supply (home brew) is dangerous?
ernieh
That's a good question.
I've been using this "home brew tee" for 15 years.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 11:40 AM   #8

If you use the proper connectors, as I see in the pictures, then a home brew tee is fine. I had one on my MH.

We all know that there will be people who cobble up air or even under sink fittings to connect gas lines. That's an accident waiting to happen.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #9

Are we talking about the pressure of the gas being insufficient (~11") or the volume of gas required causing the pressure to drop suddenly?

If it is volume, this can happen if you go from a horizontal to a vertical tank of insufficient size as you're burning vapor, not liquid. The horizontal tanks have more surface area available (typically...) than the vertical tanks. The other possibility is the transfer/extension hose can't handle it. I'd doubt this typically...

If it is pressure, I'd immediately look at the pressure regulator. Most LP regulators have a "correct" orientation. Check and verify the vent on it isn't clogged and that it hasn't iced up.
wizechatmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 03:57 PM   #10

You may have a setup to run your BBQ from the RV tank rather than the "Extend A Stay" type fitting. The proper fitting isn't the only problem. Each of these Extend A Stay fittings has one or more flow limiters in it. I cannot use such a fitting in mine as it sets when my high capacity heaters kick on.

That's not the only place you have these dam-ed flow limiters. The gas system has many. They are in each spud, the male shaped item with a tapered piece that fits into the tank valve, regulator input, and probably the piece that fits into the regulator outlet. In addition, your 30# bottle may have one in the OPD valve. I was having problems with some tanks so I called Manchester Tank and spoke to some of their engineers. Seems like when OPD's were required, some designs of this valve ended up with a flow limiter as part of the valve as a serendipitous result of the valve design. Other valve designs did not. Valves made in Italy did not have this feature. You could tell the Italian valves because the word Italy is cast into the top of the valve directly under the shutoff handle. I bought 3 tanks with Italian valves at Lowes and they work fine. In addition, the Acme threaded fitting that screws on to the bottle has a flow limiter as well. In my system I just drilled the flow limiter out and the fitting now works well too.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank