Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

Using reg unleaded gasoline in Coleman appliances

Will regular unleaded gasoline at $2/gal work just as well as Coleman fluid at $8-$9/gal in Coleman laterns and cook stoves? I know we used to buy white gas before unleaded came out.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't KNOW for sure, but to me that seems like an explosion/big fire just waiting to happen (think: molotov cocktail).
I would guess that coleman fluid is closer to kerosene than it is to gasoline.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:14 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It depends on the age/model. There are newer ones designed for both Coleman fuel and regular unleaded gasoline.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #4

i wouldnt do it.. although coming home from camping in '76 we ran out of gas and used the coleman in the subaru.. but in lantern the fires as gas burns at different rate and starts at differrent rates..
Old 01-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It will be marked as a "Dual Fuel" stove or lantern if it can take reg. gas. Check the label to see. They do make Dual Fuel stoves and lanterns. If it is not labeled as dual fuel, it is Colman Fuel only. Good luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Will regular unleaded gasoline at $2/gal work just as well as Coleman fluid at $8-$9/gal in Coleman laterns and cook stoves? I know we used to buy white gas before unleaded came out.
I've done it several times. One of the things that most people don't understand is the volatility of Coleman fuel. Coleman fuel is darn near the same refinement of gasoline. Only, there's no additives in it. The chemical make up is about as it close as it gets without actually being GASOLINE. I won't go in to all the specs etc. as you can find those for yourself. I used gas in my Coleman lantern for a few years before switching BACK to Coleman.

My lantern is not a "Dual fuel" lantern, it was never labeled as such but, a the system (the pump and pressure vessel) converts liquid to gas and as such, it burns the gas in the mantle. No one has to believe me here. Just look up the specs on both and see for yourself. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #7

Coleman fuel (white gas) is actually Naptha. It's quite different than gasoline. Unless your appliance is specifically designed to burn gasoline, it can be VERY unsafe to use it.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Back in the day, you could buy "White gas" and burn it in Coleman lanterns. It was gas with no lead or additives, unlike unleaded fuel today. As has been mentioned, you can burn regular gas in lanterns marked "dual fuel" only. Not sure if the stoves are dual fuel or not. Coleman fuel is harder to find these days, but carried at my local Wal-Mart. I'm not sure which is worse- $10/gal camp fuel or 1 lb. propane bottle lanterns. I hate the waste when using bottles.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #9

My Father used Sunoco 260 gas in his Coleman stove and lanterns for years.

Back then it was the only lead free gas sold at stations.

As posted above, white gas ( Colman ) is lead free gas without the " engine cleaning " additives.

From the net;

Though Coleman fuel has an*octane rating*of 50 to 55 and a flammability similar to gasoline, it has none of the additives found in modern*gasoline*and should not be used as a substitute for gasoline.[citation needed]*While itwill*function as a fuel for gasoline engines, its high combustion temperature and lack of octane boosting additives could damage engine valves[ci
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The Coleman lantern generator will last longer if only used on white gas / Coleman fuel.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #11

I have a dual fuel backpacking stove and while it will work on either fuel, using unleaded gasoline will result in the stove requiring much more maintenance. The stove fuel is much cleaner burning than regular gasoline. You will probably find that the cost of maintenance will far exceed the cost differential for the better fuel.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Will regular unleaded gasoline at $2/gal work just as well as Coleman fluid at $8-$9/gal in Coleman laterns and cook stoves?

I use my Coleman stoves a LOT and I can't begin to guess how many hours a gallon of naphtha gas lasts. I doubt I use even 1 gallon a season.

So the difference might be what? $5 a year?
Old 01-12-2017, 08:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
I don't KNOW for sure, but to me that seems like an explosion/big fire just waiting to happen (think: molotov cocktail).
I would guess that coleman fluid is closer to kerosene than it is to gasoline.
Ditto!

We use Lanterns with rechargeable batteries.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:04 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I use my Coleman stoves a LOT and I can't begin to guess how many hours a gallon of naphtha gas lasts. I doubt I use even 1 gallon a season.

So the difference might be what? $5 a year?
I'm with you there! We have 2 Colman stoves and a lantern that all use Naphtha gas. Love the fact that they use so little fuel and burn bright and cook hot. My wife cooks a lot when we are out, and outside cooking is the best!
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas