Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Venting a Dryer....?

Curious if any one has heard of running a dryer vent through the floor of your RV? 5r? Instead of the sidewall.....
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #2

Problems might be , findind a vent that would close off if facing down or length and number of elbows to put the vent through the skirt rather than the wall. Most dryer manufacturers will have a max allowable length for the vent hose and a formula for calculating the flow resistance of elbows.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #3

High humidity in the bays could cause a problem.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #4

I contemplated this when we installed a W/D in the closet of our previous 5er. There is no way to close the opening when the dryer is not running without creating excessive resistance to the dryer. I ran the vent through the sidewall, but used the higher quality vent which has a flapper inside, instead of the louvered one that comes with the W/D. It never leaked water or air at any time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I would be interested to hear from others who have ran the vent through the side wall.
Did you do it yourself?........
Any advice I need in advance? ..........
Ray mentioned a higher quality vent with flapper instead of louvered one.
I would like something flush with the sidewall, yet best quality and leak free is also what we want. Any brands or stores you picked it up at is helpful. CW has one model only. Thanks!!! Jim
Old 05-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #6

I was lucky, MH was pre plumbed and vent location was set; inside panel cut, no question about missing structure ; all I had to do was open up the fiberglass. Used the CW vent , and haven't had any issues ( vent location is high and away from tire spray). Get the vent location measurements from the W/D install sheet and check for problems in your planned location. I raised the floor in the closet 4" to line up the unit's vent with the factory location .
If you can't find the measurements , I can scan my install sheet through to you.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we ordered our DSDP we had it preplumbed for a washer/dryer. On the wall was a sticker with the vent location marked. I bought a cheap holesaw set from Harbor Freight and punched the hole through. I worked from both sides to get a clean cut. The outside cover is a chrome unit I bought while at Newmar.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ok great advice!
Skip, why did you raise the floor to line up with the vent? Not questioning your decision just curious.

At the dealership where we purchased, the tech told me you can have the vent up to a 4' run of ducting but it is not recommended to go over 4'

I might have to put another dryer in down the road so I am hoping this is not a issue.

We have never had a dryer so this is all news to me.

Thanks again!!! Jim
Old 05-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My rig came with a HR instalation and for some reason the dryer vent is 6" higher than the top of the dryer and the exit on the back is on the floor.
A problem we have is the lint (that the instructions say are flushed down the drain) it all seems to get trapped at the lower hose curve and stays there until I can vacume it out, thus blocking the exaust and limiting the ability to dry.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
"A problem we have is the lint (that the instructions say are flushed down the drain"
Larry, I have not heard of a unit that claims to do that other than the combo all in one w/d. I looked up my Maytag unit just now and it does not say anything about that so our units are different. I am certain if a person had too much of a drop in the vent tube that lint could be a issue as in any dryer and even if a person had a relatively straight shot out the vent, periodic inspection would be warranted.

We have had issues with wasps/mud dobbers wanting to make homes in any small inlet on the RV. Give them a small opening and they want to come in. In spite of our efforts to keep them out. I thought that a mesh screen on our vent also might be in order but yet want that maximum air flow without restriction for the dryer.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Ok great advice!
Skip, why did you raise the floor to line up with the vent? Not questioning your decision just curious.
Thanks again!!! Jim
The factory cut out in the wall panel , lined up ; left to right; with the vent exit on the combo unit, but was 4" higher. Lowering the vent hole in the wall , would have run into structure in the wall and required a plumbing change. To avoid a " Z " shaped vent hose and the lint problem Larry discribes, I raised the closet floor the 4", for perfect anlignment of the vent. Back of the dryer to the vent flap 6" dead straight and level .
Added height, made the loading easier too, a bonus.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Ok great advice!

At the dealership where we purchased, the tech told me you can have the vent up to a 4' run of ducting but it is not recommended to go over 4'

I might have to put another dryer in down the road so I am hoping this is not a issue.

We have never had a dryer so this is all news to me.

Thanks again!!! Jim
Note that Skip is talking about 4 inches vertically and not the 4 feet of ducting length.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Got it!
The added height is an advantage the DW has wanted also but on the flip, the loss of space in that area is not what I want to give up.
I think there is a 14" space above our dryer we use for laundry stuff.
I have yet to punch a hole in. I did purchase the CW vent but hoped to find a better one someplace.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Got the 4" hole saw, measured, again, again and triple checked where in proximity the vent would come out below awning area and near porch light.

Perfect, everything went so smooth and looks and functions great.