Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryallan View Post
Since your alarm is not going off. Provided it is near the floor. IO would guess you prolly do not have a propane leak, as it is heavier than air, and unless there is a lot of it. You should not really smell it. I wonder if it could be something else. Like maybe some sort of food that has dropped behind something, and is rotting. or possibly a small sewer smell.
The reason I think it's a gas problem is I smell this propane in my nose and on my hands when pick-up something in my trailer. The alarm is for propane only from Lowes store. My other alarm would go off because sewer gas. Every time I would flush the toliet.
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #16

This might be hint to buy a house or trade for another trailer which I'm wanting to upgrade to anyway.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #17

How do you know the new detector does not work? When I replaced mine I tested it with my barbecue igniter, it went beep beep. You may still be getting sewer gas. Do you have a co2 detector?
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickdog View Post
How do you know the new detector does not work? When I replaced mine I tested it with my barbecue igniter, it went beep beep. You may still be getting sewer gas. Do you have a co2 detector?
It worked only when I put the alarm over the propane stove when I turned the gas on the stove. When I put it by the floor it didn't sound at all.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:09 AM   #19

Check your batteries. If they are being over-charged, you might be smelling the out-gassing.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Check your batteries. If they are being over-charged, you might be smelling the out-gassing.
I checked the batterys and my alarm works on batterys and 120 volts. I'm going to get card board to lay on under my trailer to check for leaks. I've had animals under my trailer which now I think might have done damage to my gas pipes. Raccons and possums I can hear at night under my trailer.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post

I checked the batterys and my alarm works on batterys and 120 volts. I'm going to get card board to lay on under my trailer to check for leaks. I've had animals under my trailer which now I think might have done damage to my gas pipes. Raccons and possums I can hear at night under my trailer.

I don't think that animals under your trailer will have done anything to your gas pipes as they should be steel pipes and fittings. Secondly, if it was leaking under the trailer it would have to be a very large leak for you to smell inside the trailer as it is heavier than air and will pool like water on the ground or move away to a lower position. Check your stove connections. They are the ones that are inside your trailer and you would smell first. Also check behind fridge and around water heater.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #22

I had one of the pigtails between my tanks and regulator spring a leak on my 2012 trailer. They were junky Chinese hoses. My detector didnt go off but I could smell it inside and outside the trailer when the wind was just right.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
I checked the batterys and my alarm works on batterys and 120 volts.
I was talking about the house and chassis batteries making a smell from over-charging. I've read other people finding this as the source of a propane-like smell. Get close and sniff them.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:26 PM   #24

Have you actually done a pressure test? If not, we can't say it's LP for sure.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #25

I found out when I turn on my propane stove burner will not light. Air comes out for a minute and then it starts to light. So I'm checking to find the leak in all places where gas lines.
Old 12-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Time to call a pro. Your flirting with disaster with your limited expertise and experience. Please don't risk it.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #27

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, the light headiness and rapid heartbeat.. Have those been fixed or dealt with... This is my primary concern.. No good you being dead from medical problems.

Now: One possible explanation, actually more than one.

Propane, is odorless.. Thus they add an odorant to it, Your propane (Explosive gas actually) Detector detects explosive gasses such as Propane, Methane, alcohol fumes, gasoline fumes any explosive vapor or gas. IT does not detect the odorant, since its non-explosive.

What can happen is the odorant, which is normally destroyed by fire, is not completely burned. Either due to the concentration going up (it does that near end of tank in many cases) or due to burner mal-adjustment (Not hot enough).

A propane PROFESSIONAL has the tools to figure it out, I would consult with one ASAP.. Well As soon as you get the heart rate fixed.

Second. Other things can give off odors people think are the one added to propane.. Sometimes, it's the same odor.
Old 12-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
As all on this thread have said, it may be advisable to get your rig looked at by a professional. I worked with LPG, Butane, and Natural Gas for years. The ethyl mercaptan put in the these gases for your detection is flammable and can be explosive based on concentration in air. As you say, you hear animals under your trailer. Have you thought about the idea that you may have a dead mouse or rat somewhere in your trailer. I responded to many gas odor calls over the years where it turned out to be from something other than gas. I also had a problem like this once on a farm where a rat that had been poisoned in the attic dropped down inside an interior wall. They really do start to stink and very much like the odorant in your gas. Using stove burners in an unvented area can be dangerous if used too much and if improperly adjusted or blocked burners can produce aldehydes that are not pleasant to your eyes and nose. Range hood should be used to vent this stuff while in use.

First off, be safe and if you are not using gas, turn your propane off at the tank. Secondly, get someone that checks these things out for a living to have a look.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, propane