Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #29

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The oderant added to LPG in methal mercaptan and is a DOT class 3 flammable gas that is entertained in the LPG. As suggested, get pro to test and inspect your entire system.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 04:38 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
The local LPG gas company will come to your trailer with a Leak-Down Tester. He will install it onto one of your stove burners and leave it there for a specified amount of time. It will tell him whether you have a leak or not and whether it is a tiny one or a significant one.

Some of these guys will do the testing for free.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
First, the light headiness and rapid heartbeat.. Have those been fixed or dealt with... This is my primary concern.. No good you being dead from medical problems.

Now: One possible explanation, actually more than one.

Propane, is odorless.. Thus they add an odorant to it, Your propane (Explosive gas actually) Detector detects explosive gasses such as Propane, Methane, alcohol fumes, gasoline fumes any explosive vapor or gas. IT does not detect the odorant, since its non-explosive.

What can happen is the odorant, which is normally destroyed by fire, is not completely burned. Either due to the concentration going up (it does that near end of tank in many cases) or due to burner mal-adjustment (Not hot enough).

A propane PROFESSIONAL has the tools to figure it out, I would consult with one ASAP.. Well As soon as you get the heart rate fixed.

Second. Other things can give off odors people think are the one added to propane.. Sometimes, it's the same odor.
I will contact a propane company to have my system tested. I use now only electric heat which is made for a house. This heater will run me out of here.

My balance problem could be a inner ear because I'm having this at store and in the yard. Heart rate has become normal.

Thanks.
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #32

If propane is so dangerous then why does stores use propane in floor machines?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
No more dangerous than gasoline. If you use either product improperly, you could injure or kill yourself. Used properly propane is safe.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The local LPG gas company will come to your trailer with a Leak-Down Tester. He will install it onto one of your stove burners and leave it there for a specified amount of time. It will tell him whether you have a leak or not and whether it is a tiny one or a significant one.

Some of these guys will do the testing for free.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I remember when utility companies would come out and calibrate your oven... for free. For all I know, them may still do it.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #35

I sean a guy tonight use a floor machine at Food Lion going up and down the aisles and leaving a cloud of smoke.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #36

I will contact my local Suburban Propane.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
As all on this thread have said, it may be advisable to get your rig looked at by a professional. I worked with LPG, Butane, and Natural Gas for years. The ethyl mercaptan put in the these gases for your detection is flammable and can be explosive based on concentration in air. As you say, you hear animals under your trailer. Have you thought about the idea that you may have a dead mouse or rat somewhere in your trailer. I responded to many gas odor calls over the years where it turned out to be from something other than gas. I also had a problem like this once on a farm where a rat that had been poisoned in the attic dropped down inside an interior wall. They really do start to stink and very much like the odorant in your gas. Using stove burners in an unvented area can be dangerous if used too much and if improperly adjusted or blocked burners can produce aldehydes that are not pleasant to your eyes and nose. Range hood should be used to vent this stuff while in use.

First off, be safe and if you are not using gas, turn your propane off at the tank. Secondly, get someone that checks these things out for a living to have a look.
This trailer of mine has a history of mouse problems by the past owner.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post
I will contact my local Suburban Propane.
What? Suburban is an appliance manufacturer. An RV service center should have certified LP techs.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #39

Possibly you could have more than one problem as you mentioned having had sewer gas problems before. Sewer gases can cause nausea too. If at all posable I'd consider finding a different place to sleep until everything is checked out and you are sure it's safe. Waking up in the morning is far more precious than the price of a motel.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Suburban also is the name of a propane supplier in many parts of the country. (SuburbanPropane.com)

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had similar problem about year and half ago. Eight year old coach. No smell or detectors alerting inside. Could smell propane off and on outside of coach. Finally got someone out with detector and found leak at one of the bracket welds on tank. We had just filled tank, so was full. Fire department came out hooked up long hose to empty tank into field next to us. Took all night to empty. Had to replace tank. Took three months to fabricate replacement. Not a cheap fix.

We had just returned from 12,000 bouncy trip through Canada ans Alaska. May have caused crack on tank.

John Abbott, Melbourne, Fl
2004 Winniebago Journey, 39'
RRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #42

Newmar Owners Club
We use this stuff Amazon.com: Snoop 8oz Leak Detector (747-8OZ-SNOOP) Category: Leak Detectors: Sports & Outdoors the refinery where I work all the time, I have checked everything in my house and Coach with it and have found leaks that never were noticed or smelled before testing for leaks. If you have even the slightest leak , this stuff will find it........

Tags
leak, propane