Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #1

Very Slow leak of Propane in my Trailer.

My brand new propane alarm is not going off at all but I have a small smell of propane in my trailer. Turn off propane tanks till I find this leck. Here lately I've had a fast heart beat of 95 beats per minute and my balance has been off. I have opened all celing vents to air out trailer. I just wonder if my heater isn't burning the propane right to cause this?

From now on I'm going to use a 1500 watts electric heater.
Wildbob52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After 27 years in the fire service I would advise you call 9 1 1 immediately and tell them you are tachycardic, dizzy and have a smell of propane. See what they advise.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbob52 View Post

My brand new propane alarm is not going off at all but I have a small smell of propane in my trailer. Turn off propane tanks till I find this leak. Here lately I've had a fast heart beat of 95 beats per minute and my balance has been off. I have opened all ceiling vents to air out trailer. I just wonder if my heater isn't burning the propane right to cause this?

Where is your "brand new propane alarm" located?

Also, do you have a CO detector in your bedroom?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #4

Brand new alarm in right by old broken alarm. Bed is near the alarm. All the fire department would do to shut tanks off and air out trailer with fans which I have done.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Brand new alarm in right by old broken alarm. Bed is near the alarm. All the fire department would do to shut tanks off and air out trailer with fans which I have done.
So that didn't solve your 95 b.p.m. and dizziness? If you already did that what do you expect from this forum?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Well, that still didn't tell me exactly where it is located. All you stated was by the old one in the bedroom. I need to know exactly where in the bedroom. AND why didn't you place the new one where the old one was?

First off, there is no need to have a LPG alarm in the bedroom. I suspect that the alarm you have is NOT for LPG.

Normally LPG alarms are in the kitchen where the LPG stove, LPG heater and the LPG fridge are all located. Those are the devices that use LPG so if there were to be a leak it would get noticed quickly instead of having the LPG gas go all the way into the bedroom.

Also, LPG alarms are mounted near the floor as that's where the LPG will accumulate when there is a leak.

Answer my previous questions and then I can help you sort out the alarm problem.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
My brand new propane alarm is not going off at all but I have a small smell of propane in my trailer. Turn off propane tanks till I find this leck. Here lately I've had a fast heart beat of 95 beats per minute and my balance has been off. I have opened all celing vents to air out trailer. I just wonder if my heater isn't burning the propane right to cause this?

Your furnace not burning propane properly should not have anything to do with the propane odor unless your furnace has a cracked heat exchanger. It should be a direct vent appliance, taking combustion air from outside and venting outside. I would check your cooktop and oven for valve leaks or partially turned on valves. Check all fittings you can find with soapy water with propane pressure in the lines. The odor in propane is actually mercaptan and does not denote the amount of gas you have in your trailer. Dumb question but have you done a lot of cooking or maybe trying to help heat with the use of your cooktop?

Be safe and if you can't check things out for leaks, get a local gas fitter to do it.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:56 PM   #8

Thanks for all the help. This has been going on for four days now and the leak cann't be bad because I would have died. I sleep with my ceiling vents open some in the winter for fresh air. Alarm is under kitchen stove in the center of the trailer. I went to a doctor the other day and he couldn't find any wrong. He said alot of people in 50's have a fast heart beat. Today was the only day I had balance problems.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Your furnace not burning propane properly should not have anything to do with the propane odor unless your furnace has a cracked heat exchanger. It should be a direct vent appliance, taking combustion air from outside and venting outside. I would check your cooktop and oven for valve leaks or partially turned on valves. Check all fittings you can find with soapy water with propane pressure in the lines. The odor in propane is actually mercaptan and does not denote the amount of gas you have in your trailer. Dumb question but have you done a lot of cooking or maybe trying to help heat with the use of your cooktop?

Be safe and if you can't check things out for leaks, get a local gas fitter to do it.
I didn't worry about a the furnace because it's only two years old and trailer is 2011 model. I don't even use the stove for cooking or anything else. If I could I replace the propane stove with electric. I use the mricowave for all cooking.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't forget to check all of the fittings to the stove.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:09 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

I didn't worry about a the furnace because it's only two years old and trailer is 2011 model. I don't even use the stove for cooking or anything else. If I could I replace the propane stove with electric. I use the mricowave for all cooking.
If it wasn't your furnace you were concerned with, what heater are you talking about in your original post?
Old 12-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If it wasn't your furnace you were concerned with, what heater are you talking about in your original post?
I didn't think much about the furance till now. When the tank starts to get low the burner will boom because of low propane I think and I can smell the gas.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:21 PM   #13

Since your alarm is not going off. Provided it is near the floor. IO would guess you prolly do not have a propane leak, as it is heavier than air, and unless there is a lot of it. You should not really smell it. I wonder if it could be something else. Like maybe some sort of food that has dropped behind something, and is rotting. or possibly a small sewer smell.

Terry and Shay, Lazy Campers
terryallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

I didn't think much about the furance till now. When the tank starts to get low the burner will boom because of low propane I think and I can smell the gas.
As I mentioned, anything to do with combustion in your furnace should be separate from any air inside your rig. If you are able to light the burners on the stove, there should be enough gas to start the furnace unless there is another problem with it. If you smell gas, check all your lines with soapy water or get a professional to do it.

Tags
leak, propane