Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2018, 04:55 AM   #1

Vibration, driving and residential refrigerator?

Is there any issues with residential refrigerator failures related to the vibration, shaking they receive while driving a Class A RV?

I am asking because I just installed a French door GE and I've got it set in the cabinet and have some secure precautions so it won't fall out. It has tabs on the bottom so it won't slide out from the bottom, an "L" bracket screwed to the back bottom. Yesterday i placed some firm foam at each side to prevent the front to back movement (actually side to side of refrigerator but front to back of the coach)so movement is almost non existent. I also placed a bit of foam across the front top at the hinges to help front to back movement and tipping. It can jiggle a little bit, probably maybe a quarter inch play at most.

This is about all I can do as this cavity wasn't made for this refrigerator, the Norcold was mounted solid, this one kinds sits in there and it's not possible to bolt it down solid.

If it matters I do not plan to run the compressor while traveling, only when stopped either for the night or for a break at a rest stop, I can fire up the generator and cool it back off.

I am probably overthinking this but just how secure, solid do they need to be?

I love the larger capacity and the elimination of the headache's the Norcold gave us. It's a 2016 and it failed twice, last time was the cooling unit.

Thanks!
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 05:52 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I was concerned about vibration breaking the small tubes. Mine has a couple refrigerant tubes that look like they could vibrate so I wire tied them, and also ran a bead of silicon sealant across the tubes to dampen any vibration. These were near the compressor and inside the condensate tray.

On mine, I can see the back of the frig from outside, the old outside access panel.

Residential Frig Replacement – 1999 Southwind 35S

The top photo shows a small capillary tube. I wire tired it to a nearby tube and then coated it with silicon sealant.

The bottom photo shows the refrigerant lines zig-zagging inside the condensate tray. I placed a small ran a small bead of silicon sealant across the tubes, then laid a Popsicle stick on top of the sealant . This should reduce/eliminate any vibrations from these tubes.

NOTE - When I winterize, I make sure there isn't any water in this tray. and pour a little antifreeze in the try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig_Vibrate_1_800.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	226539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frig_Vibrate_2_800.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	226540  

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:57 AM   #3

We've had two motorhomes with residential refrigerators and put on many tens of thousands of miles and never had a refrigerator (Whirlpool and a GE) fail. We have had doors that opened on turns until I installed a latch.
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:13 AM   #4

Be careful putting foam rubber around the top and sides of the refrigerator. Each manufacturer/model will have minimum clear distances that need to be maintained for proper ventilation and cooling.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:50 AM   #5

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Be careful putting foam rubber around the top and sides of the refrigerator. Each manufacturer/model will have minimum clear distances that need to be maintained for proper ventilation and cooling.
Thanks, it's just a small 2" x 3" piece so air can still flow.
KTM251ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:36 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Installed a residential 4 years ago, traveled from SE corner to NW corner twice, used generator some, sometime no gen for up to 6 hours so fridge was off, rough roads, even a trip trough Yellowstone (that I’ll never do again in Rv), no problems, no concerns, no regrets on the fridges. Your method of securing sound similar to mine. I used metal straps with multiple holes and was able to back out various bolts on refer to secure straps. I also put a board across the top about mid ways in cabinet so refer could not tip past that point.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, residential refrigerator, vibration