RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #1

Victron 3000 watt Inverter Charger

Hello - I'm new to this site and will be installing a solar system to my coach soon. Just doing my research now.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for a Victron 3000 inverter/charger to charge your batteries from shore or generator power? I'll be installing solar panels but I want to check worse case scenario - no solar input.

Thanks

Ron

ronwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #2

Depends on your battery bank size...how many amp hours? Divide that by the charge rate and youíll end up with a maximum time to recharge.

Pretty sure itís 120 Amps for a 12/3000 multiplus but Iíve slept since I specíd all of that out.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #3

Thanks Freqz - that's the part I didn't know....how many amps it sent to the batteries.
Have a great day. I appreciate your help.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:07 PM   #4

Unless you have lithums, Your Victron will start off at higher bulk charge rate, depending on your batteries, then drop down to a lower absorption rate for a period, then finally to float. So until you get your batteries, you will not know the actual time, or current actually used to charge to 100%
Old 02-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #5

No worries. Itís listed on the data sheet on victronís website.

I have the 24/3000/120-70 version and itís awesome...I can run the AC, water heater and coffee pot at one time on a 30 amp connection.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwakefield View Post
Can anyone tell me how long it takes for a Victron 3000 inverter/charger to charge your batteries from shore or generator power?

That's an impossible question to answer because there are so many variables, such as:

How deeply discharged are they?
How old are your batteries (batteries loose capacity as they age)?
How big is the battery bank?

Get the Victron BMV-712 so you can monitor your battery charge level.
Bill111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:36 AM   #7
3x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
Unless you have lithums, Your Victron will start off at higher bulk charge rate, depending on your batteries, then drop down to a lower absorption rate for a period, then finally to float. So until you get your batteries, you will not know the actual time, or current actually used to charge to 100%
Right. It depends on your battery type and how many amps you need to put back in from the night before. Also on how good a battery charging converter your have. And if you don't have lithiums, your charge rate will gradually go down.

If you don't have lithiums, you are only going to charge your batteries to about 90% full, because it will be trickle charge after that. I don't have a new Victron, but I guess if you use about 100 amps the night before, and you expect a cloudy day, you will run your generator in the morning about an hour and a half to get up to 90% full. Then let the solar do whatever it can after that.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:26 AM   #8

Thanks for your help.

Tags
charger, inverter