RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2019, 05:04 AM   #1

Victron 712 Smart

Hey guys and gals,

Can this battery monitor act as a sort of charge controller? I have installed 2 100ah lithium batteries, and I would like to charge them to only 90% without having to keep an eye on my $40 Aili battery monitor, and then hitting the breaker to turn off my progressive dynamics lithium charger.

I guess what I'm asking is if this monitor can be programmed to control charge voltages? For instance, can it stop my charger from sending volts when my batteries read 13.3 volts? And then be programmed to enter in a float mode?

I've read Victron's manual, but I'm still not clear if this can specifically be done. TIA!

EJ_Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2019, 06:23 AM   #2

Why would you want to limit the charging of your batteries from what the PD charger/converter is designed to do? Did you also install a Li-specific Battery Isolation Manager (BIM), too? BTW - more info on your setup would be good to know.

Old 12-01-2019, 02:46 AM   #3
dp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_Clemson View Post
Hey guys and gals,

Can this battery monitor act as a sort of charge controller? I have installed 2 100ah lithium batteries, and I would like to charge them to only 90% without having to keep an eye on my $40 Aili battery monitor, and then hitting the breaker to turn off my progressive dynamics lithium charger.

I guess what I'm asking is if this monitor can be programmed to control charge voltages? For instance, can it stop my charger from sending volts when my batteries read 13.3 volts? And then be programmed to enter in a float mode?

I've read Victron's manual, but I'm still not clear if this can specifically be done. TIA!
My understanding is that this only a monitor that reports battery voltage/SOC and does not provide any charge control.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:30 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The BMV-712 can control a charge relay in charge mode. Download the free Victron Connect app...go into Demo Mode...and apply the BMV-712. Under settings , you will see relay mode. Not sure if this is what you really want, but it might work as a way to cut off a charger.

It is not a charge controller...you really asked two questions. Cutout at 90%...the BMV might help with. The going to a set voltage and entering float...is a charge controller function...many allow custom voltages to be set by user.

I'm not sure that you will see reliable results with voltage alone. The curve is pretty flat in comparison to lead acid batteries.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #5

Thanks Everyone.

It is my understanding that lifepo batteries will last longer if only charged to 90% and discharged to maybe 20% or so. They're often times where that kind of usage works be fine for me so I figure why not try to do it.

Currently my progressive dynamics PD4045LICSV charger will simply throw 14.6 volts the entire time until my two renogy lithiums are at 100% or 13. 6-14.4 volts. Then it seems like the batteries BMS stops the voltage from coming through.

I would simply like to be able to stop the voltage/charge from coming through when the batteries hit 13.3 or so.

It's not a huge deal really as I already purchased and installed the Aili battery monitor, but sort of regret not getting the 712 just to mess with it.

Also, if I had to do it all over again I'd get a charger that can actually be programmed, but I was led to believe my current charger is what is perfect for lithiums. Honestly, there is still a lot of misinformation out there in the world of lithium iron batteries.

I just find it disturbing to pump a constant 14.6 volts to my batteries and rely on the BMS to constantly allow or not allow voltage to come through. I currently charge my batteries when plugged in, and if still plugged in at a friend's house or campground, ill turn my charger off and run on the little DC power that's needed. Ill go to about 20% and then turn the charger back on. Just a bit of a pain to constantly monitor the way I want to run my batteries.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would look at Victron chargers and charge controllers. Many can be networked to accept input from the BMV-712.

Another method is solar...it cycles (daylight)...and Victron SmartSolar controllers can be programmed (via Victron Connect smartphone app) to your exact parameters. I have seen Lithium/Solar setups that keep the daily charge cycle in the sweet spot...not going 100% everyday, but hovering in the 80 to 90% region before the sun goes down each day. You do need enough battery to make it thru the night...as without using the shore power charger, it will discharge based on residual loads overnight.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #7

OP, you realize that the bms is there to protect the battery (cells) as a last line of protection, shut down the battery to protect itself.

Programmable charge devices with proper cut off is the first line of protection. Relying on human interaction will only take one distraction to cause an issue.

Coming full circle, having the bms should protect the battery when the time comes and you get sidetracked.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinerant1 View Post
OP, you realize that the bms is there to protect the battery (cells) as a last line of protection, shut down the battery to protect itself.

Programmable charge devices with proper cut off is the first line of protection. Relying on human interaction will only take one distraction to cause an issue.

Coming full circle, having the bms should protect the battery when the time comes and you get sidetracked.
That's exactly why I'm looking into the 712. It sounds to me like its programmed to charge batteries to 90%, but I'm trying to get real world usage information. I'm sure I'll email Victron sooner or later. Enjoying the RV at the moment.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #9

I'm surprised that the Victron user haven't replied with more help, to me it looks like a little monitor to interact with other Victron devices to get all the benifits.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #10

My BattleBornBatteries require periodic 100% charging to balance the cells. I also want it to charge to 100% periodically to sync the BMV-712 so it shows as 100% charge. There can be some drift in the charge percentage display if it always stays well below 100% SOC. I only see this in the winter months when my panels get a lot of snow.