Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #1

Want to add batteries

I have a 2006 Newmar Mountain Aire that Have 4 6 volt house batteries. I do a lot on boon dock camping and I would like to get some help if possible with the batteries. As of now, I have Interstate u2200 batteries and I am changing to AGM Lifeline batteries. The guy with Lifeline asked what I do and is said I should try to add a few batteries even with the AGM's. I can move my start batteries to make room for 2 more 6 volt. But I will I hook them up? I know it is probably really simple, but I want to get it right and hear your thoughts. Here are my batteries now. Thank you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 PM   #2

I can't help much with your batteries questions for boondocking but we have several members who do spend weeks boon-docking at a time. Solar power is IMO the best way to expand your boon-docking time. Coupled with more than your present 4 golf-cart batteries, it should make your boon-docking experiences quite pleasant.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
hes4all: I posted part of this on 12/28/09.

Well I just finished relocating the chassis batteries to the engine compartment directly behind the motor. I made a angle iron bracket that houses the batteries and then tied off of that to the hitch bracing. Everything is bolted so if I ever had to have the engine removed it can be unbolted and removed. I was able to reroute the existing cables and only had to purchase two short cables to tie the batteries together. The reason I moved the batteries is so I can add another 4 house batteries in the now vacant tray.

I now have 8 house batteries each bank of 4 are wired the same and then power is tied to a switch that allows me to run each bank of 4 separately or combined.

If you talk to a place that sells RV batteries they should be able to walk you through the wiring. Between the 8 house batteries, 6 solar panels and replacement of the 10watt halogen bulbs with replacement LED light bulbs I can run anything in the coach except the AC. I think I could even run the AC for short periods of time if it wasn't tied to the generator or shore power.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #4

Like some have mention get alternate source of DC power from solar...

Or reconsider the usage of your power and lighting... Like switching to LED's...

Also consider the age of the batteries. As batteries age the Amp/Hr rating of the batter decreases...
Old 01-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your four more batteries would be wired in series like you have them now + to - + to - so your two 6 volt batteries equal 12 volts then those two banks are hooked in parallel with another bank of 6 volts like you have now which will still equal 12 volts.

If you connect your additional set of 4 6 volt batteries the same way as they are in your coach now then wire this additional set in parallel it will still equal 12 volts.

Or try this way your + battery cable goes to the + of one 6 volt battery then the - post goes to the + post of the second battery and the - post goes to your chassis ground cable this equals 12 volt. the parallel connection like you have now to connect both groups of 6 volt batteries is made by hooking a cable from the + post of one bank of batteries to the + post of the other bank then hooking a cable from the - post of one bank of batteries to the other bank of batteries - post.

Then doing the same with the additional bank of batteries totaling 8 batteries in all or you can just add 2 more 6 volts for a total of 6 batteries if space is of a concern.

I really hope I did not confuse the issue for you.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #6

cant hurt to add more, just beware of adding batteries or battery strings in PARALLEL without a FUSE.

Q: Two batteries are in parallel. One shorts. What happens?
A: (you tell me....I dont want my face neaby if/when it happens. I once had my face beside a battery that exploded)

Think about that each time you stick your head in a compartment with batteries...

Also. make sure the structure can handle not only the weight, but impact loading (hitting bumps on the highway).