Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

Want to install wall oven

Is this a possible feat? I don't have an RV yet but I'm looking at 40' 5th wheels. Most RVs come with a small propane oven. I am considering taking that out and turning into another counter. I would use plug in induction burners and have an electric wall oven after I cut out a space in the cabinets for it.

I will have to get help or pay someone for this as I don't want to screw it up and I'm not a big handy man.

I can think of a couple problems I'd run into off the top of my head.

The oven I'm replacing is propane. I require a new outlet for the electric wall oven. How would I do that and how would it be supported without tripping breakers?

What becomes of the gas pipes that were hooked up to the oven?

I don't know how feasible a remodel like that is. Thoughts?
MntnRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 11:54 AM   #2

First, look some more. We actually have a large oven in the space that used to accomodate the smaller ovens due to realigning burners, etc. Some people have no good things to say about Furrion, but we like their oven and microwave. Next, the microwave is also a convection oven made with the Furrion logo. Now you don't have to repipe. You may have to cut the oven cabinet, but that's minor.

You need to think about having to stay is some place, some night where you may not have any hook-ups. Propane may be your only option to cook and heat your RV. We spent the night in a Camping World parking lot because we got the fiver back too late to drive. There is always the possibility of breakdowns and limping into a rest stop. Granted you could have a generator, but you may annoy anyone around you.

On the Furrion web site are install manuals that will give you the opening sizes and connections. Similarly, most other web sites provide the same. I'm just giving you a place to start. I prefer induction cooking, but will use propane in the RV.

Lastly, getting the wall oven is going to be tough, depending on the source. If it's a home unit, it will require 220 volts, dual breakers, heavy wire, and headaches for all. If you find one that runs on 110 volts it probably won't heat very well.

Just a few thoughts for you to look into other ooptions.
MingusPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #3

My first concern is your energy budget. The more you move toward residential/electric, the more electric power needed. 50amps is all my RV allows. That doesn't mean I can plug in a 50amp oven though. One leg of my service allows 30amps and the other allows 20. So add up your power expenses and see if your budget can support the oven.

Think of the budget in terms of what your "nominal" expenses are -- lights, TV, fridge, fans, etc. Then add things like a/c, microwave, etc. Now sort out what all is on which circuit. You'll know right away if your RV will accommodate the oven or not, and which circuit will tolerate the load.

The flip side of the budget is your independent energy income- in this case, that's your battery reserve and inverter/charger/generator/solar/wind -- everything except shore power that feeds your system. How much power can you generate, and at what rate? Can you stay ahead of the draw? How many amp/hours of house battery do you have and how long to charge them?

Building in an oven isn't that difficult. I have no carpentry background and I've managed to modify space and install a wall-mounted convection microwave and a 4-burner gas cooktop without mauling either the bus or myself. There were junction boxes under the kitchen sink. I installed a GFCI outlet in one that powers the slide motor. Since I can't imagine running the oven during slide operations, I have an essentially unused, high capacity circuit.

A side note:. I went with the convection oven as a lower energy alternative to a wall oven. I'm soooooo disappointed with it. The vent hood and microwave work good, but the convection side is anemic. I've had it serviced after the first pie -- needing 70 minutes -- still had a soggy crust after 135 minutes. He was here twice. I tried again last night. It still sucks.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install