Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Warning to all owners of Sealand 511+ toilet

A couple weeks ago we wanted to replace our 511+ Sealand stool. Previously I had been told that the 511+ stool is unique due to the fact it is a 4 bolt connection to the floor flange, so I ordered a new 511 from PPL. The order was sent to Dometic for a drop ship to me, but Dometic left off part of my address and it was not deliverable and I had to drive 25 miles that evening to pick up the stool at the UPS terminal. I had to rebuild the platform that the stool sits on so during that process I discovered the old floor flange was bad as well, so it was replaced, the new platform installed and the new stool mounted. Once everything was hooked up and the water turned back on, the stool was tried to check for leaks and I found that the toilet flushes perfectly but, the flush lever will not pull up in order to fill the bowl. The problem is that the metal flush lever has had a positive “stop” welded on it (this feature was not on the old toilet flush rod) and after talking with Sealand, I found that this was a change they did a year ago, but no one else has complained and the only thing Sealand would do is make me a new flush rod that is supposed to work. I called and emailed to PPL to ask if an RV tech could be sent out to replace the old lever. I was told that since this was a “retail purchase” that I would have to take care of this myself. In the meantime, every time we used the stool we had to add water with a gallon jug. So I called Dometic and asked when they would send a lever that would work and they said they would send it out, I finally received it a week later. Someone had altered the new lever by slightly grinding some metal off of the “stop” where it would contact the toilet as you lift the lever. I took the valve and spring cartridge off the toilet, removed the old lever, put the new one on and put everything back together again. I tried the new lever and it worked the same as the original one did, you cannot add water to the bowl! Now I’m really pi**ed off! I take everything apart again and retrieve my old lever from my old toilet from the trash and put it on the new toilet. Guess what, it works the way it should. I have called and emailed Dometic a number of times and the rep always acted like I was the problem, that I didn’t seem to know how to operate their toilet and as a concession to a grouchy old man they would be gracious enough to humor me by sending me a new lever.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
The manual online is dated 7/06 and shows the lift action to add water. Is it possible they changed it to partial down to add water and full down to flush? (No need to answer) Can only speculate but I would bet that somebody screwed up an Engineering Change Order. That part might also used on a different product and they did not do a "where used" of the engineering database to avoid such a screw up. They must send out a lot of flush rods to everyone not complaining.
You would think that in the past 7 years someone at Dometic could take an hour or two and fix the manual so it depicts the currently sold product (if it was actually meant to be that way)
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I know that on some toilets you push down slightly to add water, but not on the 511. The manual that comes with the new toilet states, "To add water, lift or raise the flush pedal until desired water level is reached." The 511 starts to open the flush ball as soon as you start to push down on the pedal. I did get an email back from Dometic after I emailed them about their new flush rod that was sent. The rep said she appreciated my feed back and would report it to the production team and her supervisor. It's also interesting to note that on the Sealand/Dometic web site the 511 is not listed in the RV toilet selection but is listed in the Marine section.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is welded on it can be machined off.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It was easier to use the old one, I just find it interesting that Dometic never tested whether this "improvement" would actually work.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I just installed the same thing mid September. The sticker on the toilet shows up just to fill, but, as you know, no luck. I just hold the flush lever a little longer and the water gets a couple of inches above the ball.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I just installed the same thing mid September. The sticker on the toilet shows up just to fill, but, as you know, no luck. I just hold the flush lever a little longer and the water gets a couple of inches above the ball.
Take that flush lever off and use a hack saw and cut that stop off. Easy to do, take the pedal cover off, take out the 2 screws from the valve pull it over (you do not have to disconnect the water lines or even turn off the water), use a flat head screw driver and go behind the flange of the white plastic cover of the spring cartridge and ease the whole cartridge out (DO NOT take the spring cartridge apart!), and pull off the flush lever. After you cut off the stop, reassemble the same way.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I rebuilt my Traveler a few months ago I ran into the same problem with the replacement part and ended up using the old lever as well.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The response from the Sealand rep I talked to was, "we've sold a lot of these since we've made this change and this is the first time we've heard of any problem". I noticed you rebuilt your old one. I was going to do that and by the time I added up the parts it was just a little bit more to buy a new toilet on sale at PPL.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
The response from the Sealand rep I talked to was, "we've sold a lot of these since we've made this change and this is the first time we've heard of any problem". I noticed you rebuilt your old one. I was going to do that and by the time I added up the parts it was just a little bit more to buy a new toilet on sale at PPL.
Rebuilt was a poor choice for a word for my repair, I just replaced the seal, the curved cup thingy , and the shaft cause I wanted a new spring.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
i cannot find this "stool" listed anywhere but i would like to purchase one, as mine needs a full rebuild as well and i would rather just replace it then messing with somebody else's old chunks
rvlivn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just go to PPL web site and search. Be aware there are 2 models, the 510 and 511. The 510 is a high rise and the 511 is the standard.

Tags
seal