Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #15

Love ours-we have the stackable ones-we use the washer for a clothes hamper too
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #16

Alpine Owners Club
One thing to remember is to think in terms of two (2), to help balance the load. Two towels and two hand towels is one load. Two pair of jeans and 2-4 T shirts is a load. Also, if you are going to do 2 or 3 loads, set the dryer time to zero, putting the damp clothes in a basket, until they are all washed, then start drying. The second (third) loads will take less time to dry because the unit will already hot and ready to go. I also use a couple of dryer balls to help separate clothes and reduce wrinkles. Again, smaller loads will mean less wrinkles.

Smell, run some vinegar through a rinse cycle to help clean out drum. Crack door slightly after load is done to help completely dry out seal around the door. Make sure that the drain line is tight into the line leading to the grey tank. We ended up using duck tape to seal around point at where the drain entered the line to the grey tank and voila, odor from grey tank was gone!

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We live in our motor home and we use our stacking washer and dryer for 99% or our laundry (using commercial equipment only for large items such as a comforter).

Our only complaint, the front load washer stinks and we've had little luck so far getting rid of the smell. Someone suggested a product made by 'Tide' to address this but we've not tried it yet.
I have used the Tide washer cleaner in my front load washer at home and it does seem to leave a pleasant smell. I also leave the washer door cracked open both at home and in the MH when not in use and that helps as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SAWTELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we ordered our Dutch Star, and based on our previous Motorhome ownership, we did not think we needed a washer/dryer so we omitted ordering it. After our first few trips and a rainy night slogging to the laundromat the DW said "enough!! we need a washer/dryer" The following month when we where having some warranty items taken care of we had a Splendid washer/dryer installed. Absolutely love it!! It gets used every few days. Small loads it works great.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #19

We have an LG 3431HS and I honestly cannot say enough great things about it. I would be miserable without it! It was pricey (around $1,400 or so) but well worth it! We were spending a lot of money each week at laundry mats (I also had to be in a couple sketchy ones by myself before I learned the new areas and it was not fun). My husband has work clothes that he gets extremely dirty, so every other day I put a load in of his clothes and set and forget it! The load has 2 pairs of jeans 2 under armour shirts and 2 UA pants 2 t-shirts and heavy winter socks plus gloves and it cleans them very well! I do at least one load every other day, the key is to not let it pile up. IMO it's less work using the combo machines, I put the clothes in set it to wash and dry and walk away. I don't even have to get them out of the machine right away as it has a cool down function that after it's finished drying if I haven't taken the clothes out of the machine yet it will cycle back on every few minutes to "fluff" the clothes and prevent wrinkles! I LOVE having one!
steph1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:24 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
We live in our motor home and we use our stacking washer and dryer for 99% or our laundry (using commercial equipment only for large items such as a comforter).

Our only complaint, the front load washer stinks and we've had little luck so far getting rid of the smell. Someone suggested a product made by 'Tide' to address this but we've not tried it yet.
Once you get rid of the smell leave the door slightly open between loads. We leave ours open all the time, even while traveling. Our sets in a wooden cabinet , the doors on the cabinet prevent the washer drawer from opening all the way.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Use one of the cleaners, like TIDE, but it is also recommended that you always should leave your washer door open so it can air out. I leave mine open and just shut the louver door so it doesn't swing when we are on the road.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #22

Our new to us Tiffin has the stacking units. Manual states gray water must open to operate. Is that common with most installs?

Any idea how much water they use?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Great tip on leaving the door to the washer open to prevent odors. We have the louvre in front as mentioned so there will be no problem! Thank you all!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #24

We use ours all the time and will not be with out one in any new coach we purchase
Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post
Our new to us Tiffin has the stacking units. Manual states gray water must open to operate. Is that common with most installs?

Grey tank valve must be open, is the only way to go, as per the manual.
Water use depends on cycle , but from what I see, having forgotten on on 1 occasion to open the valve the second load washed will back up the grey onto the shower floor. Of course I have no idea how full the tank was to start.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #26

Quote:
Friends had the smell issue with a brand new W/D install , in a new to them, pre-plumbed MH. After a week chasing the issue, they found the W/D drain was into the black tank not the grey, as their manual stated, and that there was no " P " trap in the pipe, from the W/D to the tank. Installed a trap, and cyclone tank vent on the roof and so far so good. They are looking into the $$$ of re-doing the drain , but both black and grey tanks will have to be removed to correct the plumbing.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasnealy View Post

Not sure about stackable units but with our combo (it is energy star rated and front loading so less water) I can do 2 loads of laundry, take a shower and start the dishwasher before it's almost full. Of Course everyone's tanks are different I would check the levels frequently, once ours say's 3/4 full it's dumped to prevent it from spilling over (for some reason ours doesn't back up it instead leaks out the tops of the tanks into the undercarriage...that was a bad night ) we have to keep our tanks shut (winter time and campground rules) but with as much laundry and dishes as I do it's probably dumped every other day
steph1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
For combo unit a vented unit will dry much faster like the one on our boat.
installing one in just purchased 2002 Rexhall 3250 MH
Lionheart is offline   Reply With Quote