Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Water heater

Our water temp is not hot enough. As soon as we turn it on it heats and shuts off but my wife says it's not hot enough. Any ideas

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #2

*Have you checked that the valving on water heater....cold in/hot out open and bypass closed----so water is flowing thru WH tank and being heated?

*Are you using electric or propane?

*How long does it heat?

*Have you checked that water is HOT inside WH Tank.....pop open T&P Relief Valve via lever BUT stand way back cause it should be 130*F/140*F if heating correctly?

*Check outside shower (and inside) that it is turned off via Cold/Hot knobs vs button in handle....cold/hot can mix causing luke warm ?

If t-stat was bad or not tight against tank wall typically the water temp would be VERY hot vs not hot enough

And really would help IF you would post BRAND/MODEL of water heater.........Suburban or Atwood....they do things differently

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm sorry about not giving more tech info. Sometimes I try to keep it short. So. I checked my outdoor shower. Guess what. Both hot and cold were on. Turned then off more we have 135 degree water. Thank you for the tip. Don't have a clue why that mattered. Anyway thank you very much. These forums are great. Have fun RVN
Old 01-18-2017, 08:46 AM   #4

I guess the water is mixed at the faucet if the hot and cold are left on and the water is turned off at the shower head.
Bringing her back to her glory.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I guess the water is mixed at the faucet if the hot and cold are left on and the water is turned off at the shower head.

Exactly.....

The faucet body becomes a mixing chamber when both cold/hot knobs are open and flow is stopped thru shower head via cut off button

Then when water is used at a sink faucet the cold dilutes the hot causing luke warm water even if HOT only is turned on.

Same way dilution to HOT occurs if WH Tank bypass is cracked/left open
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:57 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several ideas.. I will list in order
1: Winterizing (Bypass) valves, there are 3 different bypass systems
A: Single valve B: Double valve and C: triple valve

In the first two if the valve is set wrong, it don't work
in the third there are 3 valve in an "H" pattern, the One is in the cold water line TO the water heater after the "Cross bar" one in the HOT, likewise and the third in the crossbar. If that valve is OPEN then cold water can bypass the hot diluting it.

Second: The "Dog Shower" that is the outside shower.. Often these showers are 3-valve devices, HOT and COLD mixing vlaves and a cut off in the shower head itself.. If you shut off the head, but leave the mixing valves open.. Then it acts like the bypass valve above.

So far we have not spent any money.. Now break out your wallet

There is a thermostat.. it can fail, in fact there are two (but the other one turns on the FAULT LIGHT)

and there is a control system,, It too can fail, modern DSI water heaters use a computer control board (On my attwood, outside, it's on the upper right , a black brick with wires)

Finally we have expectations

1/2 to 1 hour to get hot on electric, 15-30 minutes on gas.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater