Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2005, 07:38 AM   #1

Would there be any problem (electrolisis issues) with replacing the PLASTIC drain plug on an Atwood W. heater with a metal drain valve so I could just open the valve to drain it instead of removing the plastic plug which wears the threads out after a few times? Maybe just a metal plug instead of plastic?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2005, 07:38 AM   #2

Would there be any problem (electrolisis issues) with replacing the PLASTIC drain plug on an Atwood W. heater with a metal drain valve so I could just open the valve to drain it instead of removing the plastic plug which wears the threads out after a few times? Maybe just a metal plug instead of plastic?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:00 AM   #3

Exactly! I've got a 3/4 male to 3/8 female brass reducer, and a brass radiator petcock from NAPA screwed into that. Lotsa dealers and camper suppliy stores have this stuff. I drain my water heater after every campout (along with the tanks).
Others even attach brass or cpvc plastic valves, elbows, etc.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:07 PM   #4

I did put a petcock on my water heater in our old Motorhome. With this on I didn't. After looking at the Water Heater paperwork there is still water in the bottom of the water heater after you drain it. I think in a 10 gallon there's about 2 quarts and the 5, about 1 quart. After draining I use a piece of clear plastic hose and remove the rest.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:49 PM   #5

Electrolysis happens when galvanizing(zinc) and copper touch. My HWH has the anode rod in the drain plug as I think most do. We bought a 2005 5er last April and the anode rod is already pitted deeply, which is good because this is reducing corrosion to the HWH tank itself. With our old 5er I added a radiator drain petcock for ease of winterizing, but after seeing this new 5er's anode rod I'll keep it as is. I've just gotta remember where that 1 1/8" socket hides.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ray,
Two Bit's Atwood heater does not use an anode rod, so no problem there.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 06:40 PM   #7

Atwood water heaters are a "glass" lined aluminum tank. No anode rod needed. Suburban water heaters are a steel tank that will corrode, just like the tank in a house. They use the drain plug with the anode rod.

Putting a metal plug in an Atwood water heater will void your warranty. Besides, the plastic ones are what? $1-$1.50 for a pack of two? If they leak, try wrapping with teflon tape. If you cross thread that metal plug, you screw up the tank. If you cross thread a plastic plug, you screw up the plug. Simple economics.

The little amount of water left in the bottom of the water heater, after being drained, will not hurt anything at all. -20*f will not split the tank if that water is in there. I would recommend putting the plug back in the hole one or two turns to keep bugs and debris out. When you get ready to use the water heater again, remove the plug, start your water flow (wether it be from the pump or city connection), and let it run for at least 5 minutes before putting the plug back in. That will get rid of the nasty water left in the bottom.

Don't put a petcock in the drain please. Nothing gets a service tech in a bad mood faster than having to drain the tank and finding one of those things in there. They take FOREVER to drain.
FYRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 07:51 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Don't put a petcock in the drain please. Nothing gets a service tech in a bad mood faster than having to drain the tank and finding one of those things in there. They take FOREVER to drain. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can't imagine anyone not just unscrewing the reducer instead of opening the petcock when in a hurry. Using the petcock and a length of 3/8" ID tubing will drain the HWH into a bucket instead of all over the floor to work in.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:06 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Just the other day I wrote to Atwood and asked the same questions about brass plug. Their response:

Yes you can use brass, just not galvanized, without any problem.