Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2018, 02:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Water heater electric heating won't work

I have a Suburban electric/propane water heater. I drained the tank before our last trip. I started to refill it but before it filled the DW flipped the switch on for the electric heating element, not knowing that was a no-no. Now the electric won't work. The propane works fine. The manual says to push the reset button. I have attached photos of the reset button(s) which are two rubber circles that say "push to reset". I have pushed them and felt nothing click and the electric still doesn't work. Am I missing something? Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4298.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	226138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4299.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	226139  

ascdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Sounds like the electric element needs to be replaced.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Try pushing on the flat surface where it says "Push to Reset".
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #4

Turning electric element on BEFORE water heater tank is filled with water burns the element out.
Dry firing....element doesn't last very long. Needs to be submerged so heat is absorbed by water.

Left 'Push to Reset' is for the 120V AC circuit....High temp t-stat trips (170*F) should normal temp t-stat fail to open (130*F)
Should High temp t-sta trip it has to be manually reset by pushing the button back in....will feel resistance when resetting

Element is under the oval cover below/behind gas valve ---to left of anode drain rod
Need a 1 1/2" thin walled socket to unscrew.
120V AC 1440W element...any hardware store....standard element

Have to remove gas valve/burner tube to have easy access to element for removal/replacement

Turn AC circuit breaker OFF
Check element continuity
1) voltmeter leads on Black and White terminals.....show continuity then element is OK (no continuity element burnt out)
2) voltmeter leads on White terminal and element flange....shows continuity then element has shorted out
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #5

Couldn't edit my post......

First question that should have been asked/answered is:

The OEM On/Off switch in lower left corner ---outside compartment
Was it ON or OFF
OEM switch plus any additional switch inside for electric have to be ON for element to be energized

If ON.....element probably toast
If OFF...no harm/no foul
Old 11-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #6

Yep, element will burn out in a second or so if it is not in water, if you are going to change yourself, you will want to buy this wrench socket too unless you already own a thin wall socket that will fit the element https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Profe.../dp/B00361V162

don't even bother with the cheap stamped metal wrenches, they are a waste of money

Ike
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 AM   #7

Did you get it working on electric????
Old 11-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Did you get it working on electric????
Been very busy with work and haven’t had time to work on it. Propane still works good so I can wait until I have time. Seems like it will be an easy fix tho
ascdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Not trying to hijack the post but while on the subject I have never decided when it was prudent to use the electric element and would be interested in how others make use of same. Thanks Richard
Old 11-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
Not trying to hijack the post but while on the subject I have never decided when it was prudent to use the electric element and would be interested in how others make use of same. Thanks Richard

Electric has roughly 6 gal/hr recovery rate

Propane as roughly 10 gal/hr recovery rate
BOTH On...16 gal/hr recovery rate
(recovery rate based on 70*F water supply)

When to use electric....when you are hooked up to AC Power preferably at a CG where electric is part of site fee

If at CG site with electric meter (electric extra) then it is a matter of kw/h rate vs cost of propane per gallon
1 gal of propane is equivalent to 23 kw/h

Both heat sources control heating of water to same temp
(Suburban---130*F and Atwood 140*F)

Propane at $2.76/gal is same as electric at 0.12 kw/h
Old 11-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #11

You can get a replacement element at Lowes. The threads are the same as a regular house w/h. Make sure power is off, remove the little screw and the cover. remove the two wires, unscrew the old element and out it all back together. It doesn't matter which wire goes on which side of the element.

Don't tell anyone else about the switch. Turn it off when you are packing up, and don't turn it on again until your at your next stop and you have verified there is water in the w/h. Safety net.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Turning electric element on BEFORE water heater tank is filled with water burns the element out.
Dry firing....element doesn't last very long. Needs to be submerged so heat is absorbed by water.

Left 'Push to Reset' is for the 120V AC circuit....High temp t-stat trips (170*F) should normal temp t-stat fail to open (130*F)
Should High temp t-sta trip it has to be manually reset by pushing the button back in....will feel resistance when resetting

Element is under the oval cover below/behind gas valve ---to left of anode drain rod
Need a 1 1/2" thin walled socket to unscrew.
120V AC 1440W element...any hardware store....standard element

Have to remove gas valve/burner tube to have easy access to element for removal/replacement

Turn AC circuit breaker OFF
Check element continuity
1) voltmeter leads on Black and White terminals.....show continuity then element is OK (no continuity element burnt out)
2) voltmeter leads on White terminal and element flange....shows continuity then element has shorted out
Old Biscuit's got it right. If you don't have a LARGE socket to fit the element, Home Depot, Lowes or an Ace hardware store may have a wrench just made to replace the element or the anode. I used a large Phillips screwdriver to turn the wrench as these are usually VERY tight the first time you have to remove them. Use teflon tape when reinstalling and you won't have any more problems from an oopse.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascdds View Post
Been very busy with work and haven’t had time to work on it. Propane still works good so I can wait until I have time. Seems like it will be an easy fix tho

Was OEM electric switch in outside compartment ON?

I take it you have an inside switch also....one that wife turned on/outside switch should have been turned OFF when draining water heater
Old 11-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #14

My first step in winterizing is to count jugs of antifreeze. Second step is to tape the switches for gas and electric heaters off. Last step in de winterizing is to remove tape.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, heat, heater, heating, water, water heater