Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Water heater on propane not working

Yes, I have read a lot of posts on this subject and I am just wondering what this symptom is most likely. The heater will fire, then go out after several seconds and the pilot out light will come on. IS this likely spider webs, etc or is it likely the thermal fuse, or something else. It has been working just fine.
Thanks,
Joe
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2009, 06:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Your temperature sensor could possibly be bad. They are 1 or 2 buttons with 2 wires each behind a black styrofoam pad on the front of your heater. With the unit turned on (with water cold) power should be going to and out of the sensors. If only going in the sensor is bad. They are about $15 at a RV supply store.

Charlie Tuit
2002 Journey
111,000 miles
XR-7 toad
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:47 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OK, I took a look this morning. I removed the tube and inspected it, removed and re-inserted the connections, etc. Sitting there with the door open, it ran fine. Thought I had "fixed" it. Shut the door and it got noisy from the flame sputtering and then went out. Would not restart but for a few seconds (the original problem). I opened the door and voila! Obviously it has the infamous starving for air syndrome. Why now after all these years (2004) I have no clue. I guess I will break out the dremel and get a small vent and have a go at it unless there are any other suggestion other than bending the door.

I thought about popping out the site glass, but that seems to be in a bad location since it is right at the flame area.

Joe
Old 05-03-2009, 10:57 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I've had mine do that a few times. I think it's spiders. Try blowing it out if you have air available or vacuum it. Let it run (open) for a few minutes then close it up & try again. If that doesn't work I'm lost!
Cousin Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
You are encountering what a lot of us have experianced with the LP side of Atwood WH's in Winnie products. Our MH would periodically experiance the light and then go out syndrome and after 3 times would go in to lockout mode. There have been numerous posts on this forum about possible "fixes" to this design flaw. What I did was open the metal door cover, light the burner and adjust the slide valve to where I got a basically blue flame with a slight roaring noise. This is usually indicative of to much air/gas mix but when the door(s) are closed, it quiets down a lot. This seems to have done the fix for me but in the future I will , if needed, cut several small oblong slits in the bottom lip of the door. Others have also put a very small louvered type vent in the door also. I would try the adjustment first, the maybe the slots on the underside, then the small round louvered vents last.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:15 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone. I think I will get out the Dremel and put a small vent in.
Joe
Old 05-04-2009, 04:36 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWatkins View Post
Thanks everyone. I think I will get out the Dremel and put a small vent in.
Joe
my atwood water heater worked fine until i had to replace the pressure/temperature safety valve because it was leaking constantly.
then it would work with the access door open, but not closed.
i adjusted my slide valve to full air open, popped out the sight glass, and drilled 12 1/4" holes near the bottom of the access door.
all is well now.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
my atwood water heater worked fine until i had to replace the pressure/temperature safety valve because it was leaking constantly.
then it would work with the access door open, but not closed.
i adjusted my slide valve to full air open, popped out the sight glass, and drilled 12 1/4" holes near the bottom of the access door.
all is well now.

JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote