Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2017, 05:10 PM   #1

Water heater will not remain ON.

On our last trip, when we fired up the water Heater (Atwood 6-gal gas/elec. combo) all seemed well for about 10 minutes and then the pressure release valve popped and began spewing hot water. I had been meaning to replace it because when filling the WH tank after its last cleaning I had opened it to release air so I could be sure of a full WH tank, but then I had to actually push it back in (closed); it did not "snap" back into place. I surmised that the valve had finally failed. We used the CG showers for a couple of days. So, yesterday I replaced the pressure relief valve. While I was at it I also replaced the ECO and thermostat just in case they might have also contributed to the problem.

Well, I now have a new problem. I turned on the propane heating and it fired right up and ran for about 4-5 minutes, and then it shut down. I waited a while and tried again. Same result after a few minutes. I turned off the propane side. Next I decided to try the electric heating side. It came on (and drew appropriate amps) and after a few minutes, same result - it shut off. I get no hot water at any faucet.

I know the inside and outside shower valves are closed. One other possibility is the back flow preventer (check valve) on the back of the WH tank. I truly hope that isn't the problem because there is no access panel and I can only see it with an extension, flex-head hand-mirror; and I don't think I can get far enough inside the bay to use a wrench.

Well, there's what I know. I hope it's something simple and "dumb" on my part. I would never tell the DW that last comment. Thanks, guys and gals.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
The first place I would check is the new thermostat that you installed. New parts are always suspect...

That's all I've got...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:28 PM   #3

When you state........

"I get no hot water at any faucet"

Do you mean......NO water flows out OR do you mean water flows but is NOT hot?

2000 vintage.......
Electric has its own set of t-stats. On backside of water heater in area where electric element is installed. They are 120V AC type....normal t-stat and an ECO (Energy Cut Off---High temp t-stat)
Propane has its own set of t-stats. In outside compartment Brown wire to t-stat, Red wire to ECO. 12V DC type.

If no flow..then YES check valve in HOT out (top fitting) is clogged and will have to be removed/replaced

If you get flow....but is warm then check if bypass valve got cracked open by mistake

Bypass closed....get flow but not hot
Then POP the NEW T&P Relief Valve and see if water is HOT

Only a few items STOP main flame (or energizing of element)
Water has reached normal t-stat temp setting (140*F)
Normal t-stat has failed and water overheats.....ECO opens shutting down heating/locks out---Fault light ON (180*F)

Propane only.....
Flame proving fails.
Circuit board doesn't get/keep Flame Lite signal...drops DC to gas valve shutting down heating/lock out---Fault light

So water flows and not hot
OR
NO water flows

??????????????
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:30 AM   #4

Old-Biscuit, the water runs but is not hot.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Old-Biscuit, the water runs but is not hot.
Have you POPPED open the T&P Relief Valve and checked IF water in WH TANK is HOT???

Propane uses one set of t-stats
Electric uses another set of t-stats

Each system is completely separate of each other.

Possible but doubtful that BOTH system t-stats are shutting down early

If water that comes out of T&P is cold/luke warm then bypass propane t-stat (outside compartment....brown wires) and fire off propane.

If propane stays ON for 15 minutes then propane t-stat is suspect.
But that doesn't account for electric shutting down early????

One step at time..is water in WH TANK HOT??
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #6

To Old-Biscuit - I now have a flame that does not cut off until the water is hot. I replaced an extension wire to the T-Stat from the in-line circuit breaker (that elbow shaped wire enclosed in clear vinyl tube). I then check for continuity and it was now good. I also check the ECO for continuity; it wag good. Once the heater turned off I opened the T&P relief valve and the water is hot. I struggled but was able to squeeze into the bay far enough to put my hand on the hot water outlet at the back of the heater; it was cool to the touch.

So now my fear is that the back-flow prevention valve at the hot water outlet on the tank is blocked. I've watched several how-to videos and the process itself seems simple enough. However, they all show trailers or coaches that have have inside the coach access under a sink or through a removable panel. For our coach, there is no access panel so it's the access to that valve that will be a problem. If you or anyone knows of an easier way to get at that valve besides removing the entire heater I'd be very mush appreciative. Thanks.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater