Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water hiss and small leak

The other night I stayed at a hotel in Nevada that had RV hookups. The shore water pressure was extremely high, but as always I used my Valterra high flow pressure regulator (55-60psi). I also hooked up my expanding hose directly to the shore water supply to do some wash up, and the sucker popped like a water balloon!

The following day when dry camping, DW and I noticed the pump supplied water was low pressure. I looked in water bay and saw no leaks or signs of standing water. It seemed like the pump lost prime (shurflo 4008). We ran a few open taps for a while trying to work water out. Water pressure was about 50-70% what it normally is while on the pump, and just seemed to constantly have air.

Is this a common issue? Have I done how damaged my plumbing? I'm fairly handy, just not sure where to start trouble shooting. I've looked under/behind the water bay panel with all the water valves and connection points but see no leak. It almost seems as if it's sucking air in, but the lines are positive pressure so that wouldn't make sense.

Also, my water heater drain slowly drips water when it is on and water has been heated up. I read a little about PTR and a "gap", wondering if I need to do that process.
nehmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #2

There is a possibility the diaphragms in the pump head are bad. Since you're still covered by warranty, have your selling dealer check things out.
I suspect your water pressure regulator did not reduce pressure enough. Did you test water pressure downstream of the regulator? I carry a pressure gauge with a hose adapter on the end for this purpose. You must use reducers to step-down from 3/4" NPT to 1/4" NPT which is threads on the pressure gauge.
An air pressure gauge (mine tops at 150psi) works just fine, no need to pay for a special water pressure gauge.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehmia View Post
my water heater drain slowly drips water when it is on and water has been heated up. I read a little about PTR and a "gap", wondering if I need to do that process.
nehmia
Where, (from what), on your water heater is the water slowly dripping?

If it's from the "drain" tighten the drain plug.

If it's from the P&T valve, (aka: "relief valve"), re-establish the "head of air", (aka: "air gap"), in the water heater tank. Dripping Relief Valve – Aluminarium

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
There is a possibility the diaphragms in the pump head are bad. Since you're still covered by warranty, have your selling dealer check things out.
I suspect your water pressure regulator did not reduce pressure enough. Did you test water pressure downstream of the regulator? I carry a pressure gauge with a hose adapter on the end for this purpose. You must use reducers to step-down from 3/4" NPT to 1/4" NPT which is threads on the pressure gauge.
An air pressure gauge (mine tops at 150psi) works just fine, no need to pay for a special water pressure gauge.
Thanks Ray, shouldn't have trusted the pressure regulator blindly... will look into a gauge. I'd like to plumb something up so the gauge is installed permanently inside the water bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
nehmia
Where, (from what), on your water heater is the water slowly dripping?

If it's from the "drain" tighten the drain plug.

If it's from the P&T valve, (aka: "relief valve"), re-establish the "head of air", (aka: "air gap"), in the water heater tank. Dripping Relief Valve – Aluminarium

Mel
'96 Safari
Thanks Mel sorry for not mentioning its the drain plug. It's plastic so I didn't want to tighten it too much.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It seems to be the Anderson control valve. DW found this video, going to watch it and see about taking it apart. Hoping it's an easy fix, but probably will need a new one anyway.

Worst case, I just manually switch the hoses around while I'm at a park for the night tonight, and boonedocking for the next week.

This post has a helpful flow diagram.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/no-w...er-282504.html

Direct link to flow diagram PDF

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...6&d=1457788774
Old 08-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here was my issue, failed O-Ring in the ABCO manifold.

Saw this thread on here which has some good links and information. Figured since I made "another" thread on this issue, might as well post the information I found.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f281/ande...fo-247790.html

I emailed Ron at ABCO, looking forward to his reply. Will also be getting some extra cores to keep on hand.

Tags
leak, water