Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Water pressure issue

Need some suggestions here.

Pulled into a park tonight and hooked the water up after testing the pressure from the hose. Great pressure. Set the valve in the water bay to city water and only a trickle comes out the faucets in the mh.

Checked all the filters and they are like brand new. Double checked the valve for city water/tank fill and it was set correct. Hose is good with no kinks in it.

Tried the water pump and it did nothing but cycle on/off and maybe a trickle.

Does the water travel thru the pump even when you are set on city water? Looks like it does and I'm leaning toward something either wrong with the pump or else it has a blockage in it.

What say the experts out there. A shower would be nice tonight
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2016, 05:53 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would wiggle the city water valve back and forth. Also is a regulator on there. I have had them stick closed.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
No regulator at all. I've had trouble with them in the past so don't use them anymore.
I've wiggled the valve back and forth and even popped it a few times with a hammer thinking it might be stuck. No difference.

Thanks for the suggestion tho.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:17 PM   #4

Since you said
Quote:
Tried the water pump and it did nothing but cycle on/off and maybe a trickle
I am inclined to think you have a plumbing problem inside the coach.

With the pump on, do you get any water out of any cold or hot faucets?
Have you checked the strainer located where the water comes out of the faucet? I have found sometimes this strainer gets clogged with grit.
Does any water shoot out of any of the low point drains when you open them?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:50 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When was the last time you had water in the coach and what is different since then?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
This is from personal experience...

Did you remember to turn the park water valve back on once you tested it and got everything else hooked up?
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:29 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Since you said I am inclined to think you have a plumbing problem inside the coach.

With the pump on, do you get any water out of any cold or hot faucets?
Have you checked the strainer located where the water comes out of the faucet? I have found sometimes this strainer gets clogged with grit.
Does any water shoot out of any of the low point drains when you open them?
When I turn a faucet on it gives me a pretty good stream and then trickles down to just enough to wet a frog hair. Strainers are all clean. Just went and tried the low water drains, Water shot out and then stopped completely.
Rechecked that all valves from outside were open as they should be and they are.
Old 06-02-2016, 09:13 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With water in your inboard fresh tank recommend you disconnect from the water pedestal and rotate your valve back to normal operation for using the pump. Ensure the check valve for the city water connection is closing when the hose is removed. Then - with pump engaged - check for adequate water pressure. If you get good pressure you're chasing a problem at the city water hook-up ... if not, you're chasing an obstruction somewhere beyond the pump to the faucets. Let us know what works out ... thanks
Old 06-03-2016, 05:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrasv View Post
When I turn a faucet on it gives me a pretty good stream and then trickles down to just enough to wet a frog hair. Strainers are all clean. Just went and tried the low water drains, Water shot out and then stopped completely.
Rechecked that all valves from outside were open as they should be and they are.
OK, I see your problem. Frog hairs are very fine and they can clog just about anything.!

Your answer was interesting, but we still need to know if this was when you were hooked up to the "city water" of pumped from tank. This is an important part of the equation.

If your answer is based on city water, then I would first look at the hose problems, strainer at the hose to coach connection, or elsewhere. If your answer is based on the water pump running, I would first look at the filter that may be on the actual pump, in addition to the coach water filter. Could it be the coach water filter was placed backwards?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:09 AM   #10
paz

I had the check valve inside the city water inlet come apart once. The plunger, which is supposed to prevent water from coming back out the inlet when you are using the pump with no hose attached, was instead being pushed inward by the city water pressure and preventing water from flowing in.

Remove your city water hose, pull the screen out of the inlet and push the plunger. Note that if the check valve is working correctly you may get a face full of water from the pressure built up in the MH water system. However, if the plunger moves freely with no spring pressure pushing it out, the check valve is faulty.

As a temporary fix, you may be able to disassemble the valve and remove the plunger altogether. this will work as long as you have your hose attached to city water, but removing the plunger will allow water to gush out the inlet if you are using the pump without a hose.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Update:

This am I took the pump off and checked the strainer (ok) and outside of the mh I hooked it to 12 volt and a bucket of water. Pumped like crazy so pump and strainer are ok.

Unhooked the city water hose and turned the pump on after replacing it in the water bay- water back to a trickle. Turned it off and hooked city water up again and still the same trickle.

However, I will say I can hear air being sucked into it from somewhere. Seems like an air leak of some sort but I would think it would be leaking but looked over/under and no leaks.

One thing I did not mention is that this mh has the Manabloc water system but I checked all the valves and they are open and no leaks.

Leaving the park in a few minutes and will check back later today when at the next stop.

Thanks all.
Old 06-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You have a restriction somewhere after the pump and before the main supply inside the coach.

Think of it this way, if you used a 1/4" hose to connect to shore water. The pressure inside the coach would be normal. But as soon as you turn on a faucet, the stream would slow to a trickle because of the small hose.

How is the hot water flow?
How is the fresh water fill?
sounds like a stuck check valve, or something got inside the hose, and gut pushed through the pipes until it got stuck and plugged the system.

Dan
Old 06-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Finally had a tech come out. He discovered that the twin filters were reversed meaning the water was coming in the outlet and out the inlet. For some unknown reason this has worked for a long time as it was a factory set up.

Took those two filters off completely and we now have water.

After he left I turned on the hot water faucet and just a trickle out of it. Cold water comes out in a good stream. Checked all the hot water valves and they were ok so may have to call him back in the morning.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:08 AM   #14
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrasv View Post
Finally had a tech come out. He discovered that the twin filters were reversed meaning the water was coming in the outlet and out the inlet. For some unknown reason this has worked for a long time as it was a factory set up...
Your tech was pretty sharp to catch that. Most would see it was a factory setup and assume it was correct. They wouldn't think to trace the plumbing to check it out further.

Cylindrical particulate filters like those commonly used for water have a lot more surface area on to trap dirt the outside than they do on the inside. Therefore, the smaller surface area probably became prematurely clogged to the point where water couldn't get through.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure