Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2017, 04:23 PM   #1

Water pressure regulator

I have an adjustable water pressure regulator. Do I set the pressure with the water running in my rv or with the water not running. The guage shows 40psi with the inside water running and 60 psi when I shut the inside water off at this time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #2

set it with no water running

mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #3

Then your regulator is set to 60PSI. I would set it just a bit lower.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:30 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When folks talk about a pressure spec they're referring to a static pressure-- pressure with the flow stopped. @ 60psi you're ok, but about 10% lower- say 53-55psi- will have not much impact on your shower or toilet flush, but will decrease the strain on your piping.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
YOu need a better reguator.. with a supply of 100 PSI give or take a bit mine shows 50 PSI, period, running or not, it's 50 PSI, no change, 50 PSI. all the time 50 PSI. It is a 3/4 inch ZURIN with hose adapters.

YOurs shows pressure drop when water flows. That is not good, Either it is old and needs rebuilding or you got one of those cheap cylinder jobs from the pressure dop likely a "High flow" type.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
YOu need a better reguator.. with a supply of 100 PSI give or take a bit mine shows 50 PSI, period, running or not, it's 50 PSI, no change, 50 PSI. all the time 50 PSI. It is a 3/4 inch ZURIN with hose adapters.

YOurs shows pressure drop when water flows. That is not good, Either it is old and needs rebuilding or you got one of those cheap cylinder jobs from the pressure dop likely a "High flow" type.
I'm with wa8yxm. A good regulator should be the same pressure with or without water running.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
Cat

I would also suggest you get a better/larger pressure regulator. Everytime you open and close a faucet and the water pressure drops and then raises it can cause problems. I had several water heater tanks crack. And I thought bad tank. Put new tank in it cracked same area 6months later. 5 months later another cracked tank. Found my pressure would go from 55 si down to 25 when using some of the faucets ( I may have made this problem worse by removing the flow restrictions from the faucets). Anyway installed high capacity pressure regulator never had another problem with heater tanks. If you search the Web you can some articles about water tanks failing- some of those "might" be caused by pressure fluctuations.
Just FYI.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #8

The regulator is probably just fine. Pressures will change depending on how much volume the plumbing can carry before and after the regulator.

As far as pressure varying, well pumps switches are 20/40, 30/50 or 40/60. Folks in the country have been using these settings for many years without issue.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:42 PM   #9
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnmor View Post
The regulator is probably just fine. Pressures will change depending on how much volume the plumbing can carry before and after the regulator.

As far as pressure varying, well pumps switches are 20/40, 30/50 or 40/60. Folks in the country have been using these settings for many years without issue.
True but the smaller cheaper regulators restrict the flow so much that you get major differences between pressures with plumbing shut off and turned on. I also know the RV water heater tanks aren't built to the same standards as a household waterheater.
Just giving my experience with regulators and what solved my water heater tank problem.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:33 PM   #10

We had some problems with pluming so we are looking into this. There are so many regulators on the market, which one is the best?
Old 01-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #11
Cat

I actually bought one at home Depot plumina section. I think it was 3/4 inch and then bought plumbing fittings to attach to the water hose. $70.00. It is adjustable.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:27 AM   #12

I did the same as Cat. Most RV regulators are crap. Watts or similar (at Home Depot) cost more but they are real regulators not restricted flow regulators. I just screw mine on to the spigot and run the hose from there to the RV. That way the hose is protected as well. I have seen some who run a hose to the regulator (usually with a filter setup) and then a short hose to the RV. Either way works. (And I went to the trouble of drilling out the "built-in" regulator on my Shurflo like this.) I left the pressure at the factory set 55 psi.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:36 AM   #13

Tried a small Camco regulator, it's flow was unacceptable. Installed a Watts regulator set at 55lbs. Works great!

Old 01-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglisa2015 View Post
....There are so many regulators on the market, which one is the best?

Valterra and Watts each make a good quality, industrial grade adjustable regulator that includes a pressure gauge. You can buy them set up for either hose thread or NPT. About $65 to $100, depending on model and where you buy it.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS40, FL, Cat, '04 Element NHSO RVM103

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pressure