Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water Pump

I finally removed my water pump, how do I bench test it? I have a black & red wire coming out of the top of pump & the red wire from the top, plugged into the bottom of the pump, the black wire went into wire harness. A red wire from harness plugged into bottom of pump. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1425498632.071992.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	87733Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1425498653.838937.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	87734Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1425498700.709738.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	87735
RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
The black wire should be the ground wire and would go to the negative post on the battery. The red wire is the positive wire and it is hooking to the pressure switch which is on the bottom. When the pressure switch calls for water it sends the current to the motor through the red wire. You need to hook the positive lead from the battery to where the red wire was hooked on the bottom. That's the pressure switch.
Since you are doing a bench test to see if the motor is good you can hook either the ground or positive wire up and then just touch the other wire to the correct terminal on the pump. I would not hook the wires to the pump and then touch the post on the battery because you never want sparks around the top of the battery.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:07 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the help, I didn't get a chance to check pump, will check on Sat. when its warmer. I found a replacement on Ebay for $67.49 + $11.50 s&h
RV2088-422-444-144 Replacement by Shurflo. Is that the one I need and how's the price?
thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm sorry I can't help you with what replacement pump you need maybe someone else can.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello again, I checked the pump today it worked, Sunday I am going over to RV and reinstall it, is there anything else I can check once installed?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2015, 05:18 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
You said you checked it. Does that mean you pumped water or just ran the pump? If the pump ran the you need to make sure when you reinstall it that it is getting 12 volts when the pump switch is on. If you didn't pump water and it runs when hooked back up and doesn't pump waterm the diaphragm may be bad. I am leaving on a cruise today and won't be checking in until next week
Old 03-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #7

That pump looks OLD. I would replace it no matter what.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
How to I check the two wires that supply the pump for 12 volts, the 15 amp fuse is good
Old 03-15-2015, 09:09 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are using a test light to check the circuit use the wires that hooked to the pump. Clip the alligator clip on the black wire and touch the red wire with the prong on the test light. If you are using a meter basically do the same thing with the black and red leads from the meter. Have someone turn the pump switch off and on to see if the switch works.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:26 PM   #10

I wouldn't spend a lot of time because I agree that you may want to just replace the pump because of it's age. The manufacturing date is 10-95

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello dabrooks: how was your cruise? I have power to wires at pump, I ended up calling the RV repair guy I used in the past, he came out to RV today and tested the pump and the pressure switch was bad and he replaced that, thank you and everyone for your help.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:29 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
The cruise was great but I am getting ready for the first trip of the season. I plan on de-winterizing today. Glad you got the pump mystery solved.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Lyons,

I just replaced my water pump on my RV and super simple to do. I found actually ordering it from the Fleetwood RV dealer in the area was cheaper than eBay or Amazon. Couldn't believe it. Sometimes those diaframes (pressure switches) stop working correctly. My old pump would pump if I by-passed the pressure switch, the minute I used the pressure switch, it would pump on and off constantly, never giving me any real water pressure. They are so simple to replace, and one of the least expensive things to replace on an RV I figured I would simply replace it. Mine was the original 2008 model.

Tags
water, water pump