Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

Water Pump

The Water Pump an Rv item that very likely will go out at the worst moment. Its cold and raining and your only water is onboard. SHE is showering, shampo in hair and SHI-BAM. Do ya slide here a warm beer and say its good for her hair ? I have yet to sleep on my pull out. But I have ordered a new pump and will keep the old Sureflo 2088 @ 2.8gpm for backup. I ordered an Aquajet 55 AES @ 3.5gpm from RV-upgrades. The literature projects that its a simple exchange on these models other than space. My questions and concern is with the warning about the heat sink reaching 150 degree temps in short run times. Some mfg lean toward caution. The 12v draw amps are not far out with 12g wire. Sureflo-4.0 amps/ Aquajet 6.5 which will generate more heat. Anyone using an Aquajet ? What are your findings and your precautions on install. Do I need a plate of aluminum or protection between the heat sink and plywood. I will likely put a small blue pressure tank from Lowes in the line also. Thanks in advance. Keep the dust on ya boot
pocoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Don't make any sharp bends on the outlet of the pump. I had an issue that I compensated for by making a 180° loop of 5/8" hose to the connection that I had to hit. Some folk might have thrown a 90° in there but don't do it.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #3

First time I have ever heard of warnings that the pump might overheat--nothing about that on the Shurflo 5.7. I have owned several trailers all with water pumps and never noticed a warning about the heat sink temps/run times. I would not be worried about this--place it in the same footprint of the old one.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:22 AM   #4

Thank you for the info gents. Driver did you find any supply lines of better quality than others. Wingnut the Aquajet was the only pump that had this warning and the only one with a heat sink. I looked @ all the pumps I could find info on and it came down to the Sureflo 4.0 or this AJet. I wanted the Sureflo but remarks made on i2 steered me into the AJet. The larger size also means I have to move the mounting. Talking with my local RV Dealer sounds like along with the closure of many Rv plants also comes close of suppliers. I hate this for us all but my next upgrade may be choice of one. NO RESEARCH less fun. Thanks again an Keep the dust on ya boot
Old 01-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #5

I doubt the pump companies will close, farming supply stores sell the same products for sprayer applications.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #6

Ray I am aware of the agriculture line of pumps. I run spray application and fresh wash down pumps on air boats and skid spray tanks. This was what puzzled me about Sureflo having so many problems with the high volume 5.7 gpm and the 4.0. Most all of my 12v spray equipment is Sureflo and I have not had many issues running these pumps every day in summer heat. Possible heat @ 150 degrees on the Aqua Jets with a small sink ring on the end of the motor just did not seem right. The Ag pumps are 3.5 & 4gpm with heat sink fins all the way up and around the motor and they have never been anywere near to warm to touch. Cost wise they are on the high end compard to the RV pumps though. I thought a few years back when I searched pumps here their was quite alot of info and now its gone. Keep the dust on ya boot.