Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2018, 08:18 PM   #1

Water Pump Keeps Turning ON

06 gorgieboy M/H landau, coach waterpump keeps coming on. The difference in my problem and others i've read here, is that i have water draining out of the overflow tube under the M/H. I have no other leaks other than the overflow. the faucets all work with the pump but when not on, the pump will shut off and the back on for maybe 1 second the off and back on in less that a minute. THANK YOU
slot machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slot machine View Post
06 gorgieboy M/H landau, coach waterpump keeps coming on. The difference in my problem and others i've read here, is that i have water draining out of the overflow tube under the M/H. I have no other leaks other than the overflow. the faucets all work with the pump but with non on the pump will shut off and the back on for maybe 1 second the off and back on in less that a minute. THANK YOU
Must be a leak "somewhere ".

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pressure leak, could be the check valve on the pump.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Pressure leak, could be the check valve on the pump.
+1^^.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just had the same problem. It was my City / Tank Fill valve. Replaced the valve and the problem went away.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't add to what others have suggested! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slot machine View Post
06 gorgieboy M/H landau, coach waterpump keeps coming on. The difference in my problem and others i've read here, is that i have water draining out of the overflow tube under the M/H. I have no other leaks other than the overflow. the faucets all work with the pump but when not on, the pump will shut off and the back on for maybe 1 second the off and back on in less that a minute. THANK YOU

If you have water running from fresh water tank overflow then you must be hooked up to 'city water' (hose connected to MH)?

Then you have TWO issues
1) Either check valve in water pump is leaking allowing back flow thru pump from city water supply and overfilling fresh water tank
OR 'FILL' valve is leaking thru
2) City water pressure is dropping below pump start pressure switch setting causing pump to start/stop cycle
OR pump pressure switch is failing

(Guess that could be 4 problems)

IF NOT hooked up to 'city water' are you sure water is running from overflow tubing and not one of the low point drains????
That would explain pump cycling also
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:56 AM   #8

Water Pump Keeps Turning ON

Old-biscuit is correct!

You shouldn’t have water coming out overflow if “NOT” on city water.

But if not on city water and pump is cycling like you described - then it is most like one of these issues:

1) Your city water hose connection has a check valve that may be leaking. Thus you pressure is slowly falling causing pump to restart ever minute or so.
2) if you have an outside shower, a valve may be cracked open (or cracked from freezing weather).

Both of those scenarios would likely dribble water to the outside. Maybe you see water on ground and suspect it’s an overflow?

If you are on city water, then see Mr-d reply above.
Most likely your check valve on house pump is leaking and city water is going backwards through pump into fresh tank - that would explain your overflow.

The only explanation I can think of for a pump to cycle “while hooked to city water” would be:

Your city water pressure is below the pump pressure setting (usually around 35-40 psi).
Or your pump switch is faulty and is pumping up over city water pressure.
If you are using a water pressure regulator to prevent over pressure from city water (which is always recommended), you may want to see if it is regulating too low as in below your pump pressure.

But even in that scenario where pump is overriding city pressure, it should not continually cycle. Once the pump shuts off it should hold that pressure assuming the check valve at city connection is good until you open a valve.

So I’m back to this - you most likely have some sort of leak down in the form of a faulty check valve or freeze damage or possibly a leaking valve (toilet, shower out or in, sink etc.) but bottom line is somehow your system is loosing pressure below the point where your pump switch comes on.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump