Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #1

Water pump strainer

I just replaced my Shurflow pump that never worked right with the Shurflow revolution. I connected the water feed side with the strainer that was on the last pump in place. The at the faucet had a lot of air in it. So I took off the strainer and it worked fine.

Here's the question do I really need a strainer? There is an inline filter on the water supply. I only used the pump when traveling or a few days a year when I might camp without hook ups. Seems like it's unnecessary but thought I'd ask?

Thanks
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #2

Probably not but what does it hurt to have another catch all in the system?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #3

Yes it is needed.

The pump has valves that limit the flow to one way.

Little chunk of crud and you need to clean out the pump.

Leave it in, if the water flow slows then it was needed.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two posibilities one you simply did not address in your original post so I will ASSUME you ran the water long enough to clear air from the lines, This can take a while, epically if you are mixing hot and cold.

The second is that you either cracked the strainer housing or did not get the two parts properly joined when you hooked it up.

I would keep the strainer (or a new one) in line, Never hurts to have particulate protection. I've seen some strange thigns in water tanks.. My system has an outlet strainer on the tank and an inlet strainer on the pump, yes, belt and suspenders, but I don't worry about anything damaging that pump save me.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #5

Thanks for the input. As I understand it the Surflow pump had all kinds of problems and is no longer available. It also looks like they have changed the design of the strainer also. Maybe it's just clogged a little but they are pretty inexpensive so I think I'll just replace it to a newer design that looks like it's easier to clean.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegascouple View Post
Thanks for the input. As I understand it the Surflow pump had all kinds of problems and is no longer available. It also looks like they have changed the design of the strainer also. Maybe it's just clogged a little but they are pretty inexpensive so I think I'll just replace it to a newer design that looks like it's easier to clean.
When I replaced my old pump with a new Revolution I replaced the filter with:
SHURflo 255-313 Classic Series Twist-On Strainer (1/2" FPT x 1/2" ) : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #7

I did the same thing and purchased that new strainer. I put it on yesterday. I have same problem I had before, lots of air in the line and much less water flowing. When I take it off the water flows nicely once the air is cleared from the line. It makes no sense to me why this is happening. I wrote to Shurflo technical support.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I was cleaning my filter the other day, it did the same thing. Mine is made from clear plastic so I could see it was not filling with water all the way up. I took it apart made sure the two half's were sealing correctly together and I put white teflon tape on the threads. I think the teflon tape did the trick.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
A leak in the filter in front of the pump would result in air being sucked onto the system. Teflon tape is a good idea.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #10

Well I finally gave up! I've attempted to put on the new strainer I purchased 3 times now. I've corresponded with Shurflo technical support. I've inspected all the gadgets threads and see no problem. I tried the teflon tape and it still spits air and the pump continues to run. Obviously it's sucking air from someplace. It seems insane that I can't find it. When I take it out the pump works perfectly. So my $10 strainer is in the junk pile.

I still can't see where it's a problem. My water passes through a whole house filter which is much finer than the screen on the strainer. All the water in the tank goes through that filter. Replacing the pump is just not that expensive or time consuming. I just decided I was better off to give it up and not worry about why it won't work!

Thanks for all the input and suggestions.

Michael

Tags
water