Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2010, 05:46 PM   #1

Water Regulators

I have had many conversations with my fellow RV friends and I need to get the final answere on these question

A standard fresh water regulator says 40PSI-50PS

At what point do we need to use the regulators?

Can our coaches handle more than the regulators states?

Am I the only one that wants more water presure when using the shower?

This one is for the Egyptian River Rat
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi katoommaster,
There is a regulator that is adjustable. RV Upgrades sells it. Go to Adjustable Water Regulator - 88-1449 to read about it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:47 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Water pressure may not be the problem ...or at least not the total problem. It could easily be water VOLUME rather than pressure. Many people find that they get better flow in the shower if they change from a 1/2" shore water hose to a 3/4"; stop using the cheapo "water pressure regulators" that RV stores sell (they are in reality flow reducers) and get a full-flow 3/4" bore whole house Watts water pressure regulator at Lowes/Home Depot. You can normally buy the hose bibs required to connect it in your shore water hose at the same place you buy the regulator; and, make sure there are no plugged screens (or mineral crust, etc) in the shower head ...basically, make sure you are getting as much water flow volume as you can, in addition to good pressure. But you also have to recognize that many campgrounds have poor water pressure. We replaced our little 1.8gpm water pump with a 5.7gpm pump. Much of the time when on shore water, we use the water pump when taking a shower because it will put out better flow/pressure than the shore water connection will.

You rig probably can easlily handle water pressure in the 50's, but there in only one way to truly tell. My full-flow regulator runs around 50psi (when available from the shore water tap), and works great.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
k--master,

I read someplace that the rigs are tested to something like 120psi at the factory. Not many of us want to try that kind of pressure.

Last week I was in a campground and I tested the pressure before I hooked up the rig because when I put my extra hose on first to my 4 manifold outlet (I was going to wash off the bugs) and when I squeezed the nozzle, it kicked back hard. My tester only registers up to 95psi and it pegged out at 95. I then installed the Watts regulator, as stated above.
I completely agree with the comment on increasing the hose size from 1/2" to, at least, 5/8". I would like a source for a good 3/4" hose (restaurant grade quality).

One last thing to try is the Oxygenics shower head . You can read the 100+ replies to this wonderful RV item here. MonocoMama started it a while ago. I think only one person had an unfavorable comment and that was because of "sound"-- I say "what sound?" We use this in a campground in Maine with only 20-25psi in the height of the summer traffic-- The result is like being in a different class of operations with low pressures-- It makes for a much more enjoyable stay/visit.

Good luck,
Old 04-05-2010, 04:38 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The pipe/tubing in your coach can easily survive 150 PSI or more in most cases (PEX is rated either 150 or 250 forget which) however......

The toilet

The seals on the flush valve.. They are rated for 60 PSI.. That's the weak link in most RV water systems.. And I've seen some where the fittings were not all that well crimped and 60 PIS blew a water line apart at a fitting (And back then I did not have spare hose clamps.. I do now.. Thankfully it was not MY trailer )

Now a word on those regulators I will describe 4 types
1: Standard RV regulator.. This is a brass or plastic cylinder about 3/4 inch in diamater, it has a male hose fitting on one end and a female one on the other, The cylinder is the same size as the female fitting's Outside diamater.

Forget those.. They restrict flow way too much

HIGH VOLUME RV regulators.. Like the above save the female fitting usually has a brightly colored plastic "Grip" on it.

Much better but could still stand some improvement

Sure-Flo (They make a lot of RV water stuff) this is a off-white plastic assembly, A couple of inches in diamater.. Some come with the same fittings described above. others with a mounting flange around the female fitting and a 1/2 inch IPT threaded out (Designed to be installed) This one.. Gives me a comfortable shower w/o turning on the water pump.

Watts/Valterra "Whole House"

The smallest watts.. May be too small in some rigs

These are plumbing fittings, they do not come (unless someone bundles) with hose fittings but the same store where you get 'em.. Will have adapters.

The Watts unit I have is set to around 60-65PIS I put it ahead of my water filter if the park is pushing more than 100 PSI.. I use the Sure-Flo after the filter and before the rig.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought the parts for mine at Lowes. It is adjustable up to about 150 psi. I keep mine set at 60 PSI. I also carry a pressure gauge that will screw onto the regulator if I need to check. Its a Watts regulator. Been using it for years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water regulator.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	3641  
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #7

Thank you Wizard this may be the best for my application. Thank you to everyone that has responded to my post this has been most helpfull
Old 10-01-2010, 06:46 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We were at a rally last weekend. When we parked I noticed the water lines Like some hollween nightmair;; There was a Y 15 feet of hose Another Y+ Y, Man.Some were swollen up like you name it.I walked over to the mess And scratched my head, Soon there were 1/2 dozzenpeople there. I won't bore you with all the thoughts of the RVers, Just some;;; AS less then 1/2 of them had pressure regulaters on them, #1 I like to put my reg. at the faucet, Many do not; #2 I never hook up to water unless I am hooked up to sewer; Or just fill my fresh water tank;;. Through the weekend One coachhad the lines blow apart under the sink, another had the line come apart in the commode, what a mess. The water was standing/running out the door.Now what was interesting was both of them Complained of the cheap plastic tubing the manufacture used. not about the use of a pressure regulater, Which neather was using, They only run down some regulater for not letting the flow come through. I saw Install a regulater at the hyderane, hook up only when you are filling or hooked up to sewer; it will save you a lot of supprises; life is so good;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #9

Here is where I get my water parts. They have the high flow regulators and hose fitting pressure gauges too.

RV Water Filter Store: Water Pressure Regulators for RVs
cjensen91910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The PEX ratings are :
PEX has a pressure rating of 80 PSI at 200°F, 100 PSI at 180°F and 160 PSI at 73°F.

From http://www.viega.net/cps/rde/xbcr/en...-PFVP-1009.pdf
Old 10-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At what point do we need to use the regulators.. Well, I've been told the seals on the toilet flush valve are certified only to 60 PSI so 60 PSI .. HOWEVER.. and this is even more important.

Pressure varies.. On a pump system 5-10 PSI differences beween the pump's cutting in and cutting out are not uncommon.

And I have seen nearly 100 PSI variances when a system was "Waterlogged" Pressure running from a low of around 20-30 PSI to well over 100 PSI (120-130)

SO though I can't be 100% sure on when you NEED a Regulator

I can tell you when you SHOULD use one..... All the time.

Here is my hook up for MOST campgrounds

Park------Hose-------Filter-Regulator-Rig

IF the park is a known high pressure park then

Park-High pressure regulator------hose-------Filter-Regulator-Rig

The high pressure regulator is set to around 70 PSI.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Add my vote for the Watts Whole House adjustable and the Oxegenetics showerhead. I keep my Watts set at 50 psi hard mounted on my water softener. Although I probably should have the Watts mounted on the faucet, I currently use a short hose to the softener then another hose from the Watts to the coach. The switch to larger diameter hoses in on my list.

On an overnight trip last year in Ruidoso, NM I got lazy and hooked the coach up directly to the park system. Water pressure at the faucet didn't seem too strong and I thought I'd be ok. I was.... until 2am when we were awakened by a very strange noise which turned out to be a broken water hose (cold water feed) on my water heater. A big mess. The flex hose had ruptured near a connector. I think the water pressure in the park probably spiked at night.... so I now don't hook up without my regulator.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
According to Winnebago customer service my coach is okay at 65 psi and that is where I keep the regulator.
It's not too often where we have enough pressure to reach 65 psi but this summer here in CO where we have been for several months the pressure is 125 psi and the regulator is earning it's keep.
Old 10-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
We use a 45 psi regulator and it works well without being too restrictive. We use it all the time and on the faucet before the hose. Happy travels, Joe