RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2016, 02:10 AM   #1

Weight limits for outlaw storage bay?

I'm going to be adding 650 lbs. of batteris to one of my storage bays. Should I look into beefing it up? Has anyone else done this in one of these poly(?) bays before? I would hate to drop 650 lbs. of batteries right in front of my drive tires while going down the road.

2014 Thor 37MD Husky Hauler
zman7458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2016, 06:26 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't have your unit but have poly storage bays and would not put 650 lbs in one without additional support attached directly to the frame.

George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:24 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at your current batteries. Estimate their loading (Lbs/sq ft) and how they're carried and secured. Probably steel. Now figure the loading of your additional batteries (650Lbs/ X sq ft) and look at the plastic shelf you want to store them on. You make the call.
I don't have any plastic storage compartments, so I'm guessing here. If Thor is now making their storage bins of milspec carbon fiber you may be ok. But off the top of my head I'd say that supporting batteries with plastic is a bad idea.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 07:32 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by zman7458 View Post
I'm going to be adding 650 lbs. of batteris to one of my storage bays. Should I look into beefing it up? Has anyone else done this in one of these poly(?) bays before? I would hate to drop 650 lbs. of batteries right in front of my drive tires while going down the road.
do you know what your RV weighs at each axle, preferably at each wheel, as it is loaded for travel but before you add the weight of these extra batteries? if not I'd sure want to know. you may find you don't have the enough payload to add them.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 12:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
do you know what your RV weighs at each axle, preferably at each wheel, as it is loaded for travel but before you add the weight of these extra batteries? if not I'd sure want to know. you may find you don't have the enough payload to add them.
not sure about the load that they have on them already, but I do know the outlaw is on the ford 26k chassis because they know there will be some considerable extra weight from toys ( my vrod is 650 or so by itself and I've seen people with 2 of these or comparable in the garage), hell they advertise keeping a smart car back there and that is behind the axle I'm putting my weight in front of the axle and using the storage space in the garage for huskies lol. so I'm not too worried about overloading the chassis, just the storage area which I'm not sure if it is a poly bin supported by metal or not, thats kinda what I was asking since I don't have it parked in my driveway yet. I do know that there are folx out there that have done exactly what I'm doing and I was just curious if they beefed theres up to handle the extra load.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
Sorry I didn't mention that this is an outlaw designed to have some extra weight.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Look at your current batteries. Estimate their loading (Lbs/sq ft) and how they're carried and secured. Probably steel. Now figure the loading of your additional batteries (650Lbs/ X sq ft) and look at the plastic shelf you want to store them on. You make the call.
I don't have any plastic storage compartments, so I'm guessing here. If Thor is now making their storage bins of milspec carbon fiber you may be ok. But off the top of my head I'd say that supporting batteries with plastic is a bad idea.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12 02 DS, FL, Cat330, '04 Element NHSO RVM103
well I'm not sure if they are strictly poly or poly encased in metal or at least supported by metal. thats why I'm asking others who have already done this same thing what they did. I don't pick mine up till next Thursday or I would just go crawl under and look, which I will do anyway but was curious what others had done.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Don't have your unit but have poly storage bays and would not put 650 lbs in one without additional support attached directly to the frame.
Kinda what I'm thinking too.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The battery bin in the newer Outlaws is a Rotocast material hung on a steel frame.
The Rotocast bins are rated at 250lb by the factory.
Exceeding the weight limit risks bowing the box bottom...especially in a very hot climate.

The few bins that are steel bottom (ours are in the back) have a higher capability, but not sure what it is.

I would beef-up the floor of the bin before adding that much weight to ensure trouble free miles...trying to tie-in to the steel framework.
The reinforcement could be external or internal to the Rotocast box...just "spread the weight" to the frame as best you can.

Safe Outlaw Travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
"I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance", S.Coleridge 1797
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:49 PM   #10

yup, I've come to the conclusion that four unistrut 'L' brackets, four 1/2" threaded rod and four 40" pieces of 1 7/8" strut will be just the ticket.
Thanx for the input, you helped keep me on the right path once again.

Tags
storage, weight