Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #1

Weird problem [2] with Seiki SE32HYM TVs in 2016 Thor ACE 30.1

This is a weird problem with Seiki SE32HYM TVs that came in (bought new) 2016 Thor ACE 30.1. I have no reason to believe that it is in any way specific the the motorhome line, manufacturer, or model year.

The are three SE32HYMS in the motorhome, all fed from one antenna through an amp. At home in the San Francisco Bay Area, auto scan finds fifty or so over-the-air channels. And the picture and sound is generally pretty good.

But here's where it gets weird. Each TV finds about the same number of channels. But the three sets of channels for four be, while certainly overlapping, are not identical. For example, the bedroom TV finds 14-2 and not 14-1, while the kitchen TV finds 4-1 but not 14-2. I can't imagine how that can be.

Well, I think, that's odd but I can get around it. After all, in the house I'm using the cheapest digital converter box I could find back at the time of OTA conversion and on that I can add and delete (see below) channels. And the remote has ADD and ERASE buttons just like those for my cheap converter box.

But no, those buttons mark a save channel as "favorite," or undo that. Huh? Must be in the manual. Nope, no mention of what the buttons do OR how to do what I want. So let's ask Seiki.

They say auto scan is the only way to add. They have no explanation for three TVs detecting different sets of channels from the same feed.

We'll, I'm not happy about that but I ask how to delete channels. A majority of the channels detected are either in a language I don't understand and/or are 24 hour a day shopping channels. I don't want to have to step through all of those. It's trivial to delete the extraneous channels on my old, cheap converter. Oz in the house. How do I do it on the Seiki TVs? After going away for five full minutes to ask someone, the representative comes back to tell me I can't.

So my questions to the assembled masses are, have you encountered this? Do you know a way around it? Could the functions actually be there and simply obscure and undocumented?
K6NCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #2

Hmm...I haven't attempted that yet but will next time I'm at the coach (currently in storage). That's interesting
campersRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:14 PM   #3

For the tv's not finding the same channel it is the cheap, non insulated coax cable used. My old Rexhall did the same between front and rear tvs. As a temporary fix I insulated the cable by wrapping it with aluminum foil were it went through the electronics bay. That temporary fix as held up for two years now. Some time when I have the time I will install a better insulated coax cable.
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is it TV's or coax? Get coax cable long enough to reach all TV's. Connect one end to coax hub and one at a time to each TV and scan.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, thor