Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We're brand new but old. lol

Hi, my husband Don are starting a new adventure in our lives at the age of 75!! We bought a 1995 Fleetwood Southwind Storm. We have many questions since this is our first motor home.

One question is, this motor home was winterized last year and has not been used since.
It has an Onan generator (gasoline) but it won't start. If anyone out there knows what we need to do, please tell us.

Does this have an electric fuel pump?

(Mod Edit).

Don and Dar

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

The generator can be several things after storage. Maybe some will be right along with ideas.

Best luck and safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #3

Hi Don & Dar

Glad to have you here with us.
If your generator as sat for a long time especially if it has been unused it may be a simple as a tune up. I would check for fuel flow first there should be a filter that may be blocked.

Good luck with the problem.

I don't use a dolly so I can't help with that but I'm some someone will chime in soon.

Happy Trails!!
Old 08-23-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Don and Dar, Glad you're aboard. Congrats on the new to you rig. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
The RV needs to have at lest 1/4 tank of fuel for the generator to run.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First how much fuel is in the tank... Normally the generator pick up for fuel is in the main fuel tank at about the 1/4 tank level.. I recall the first time my generator just up and quit on me..... Yup, quarter tank a quick trip to the filling station and suddenly it worked perfectly again.

Next, if a gasoline engine (Carborated) sites too long with gas in the bowl it can turn to varnish and gum up the works.. This requires a D&C of the carb or a replacement... THOUGH sometimes it is possible to clean it out with a good fuel treatment and/or cleaner.. I run my genny every month. even if I have to haul gas to the motor home (1/2 hour, 1/2 load or better)

Procedure for switching from SHORE to Generator or back to main with an automatic transfer switch (ATS)

Shut off EVERYTHING, then turn off main breaker OR go out and unplug.

Start generator, Restor main breaker, Turn stuff back on once ATS transfers.

Shutting down: Turn off everything, then main breaker then shut off generator, Wait 2 minutes, turn mains back on and then turn stuff back on.

Manual Transfer: Unplug from shore power. Turn off everything, then turn off main breakers.

Plug into Generator outlet, Start genny... wait 1 minute and proced as above (Restore and turn on) Switching back is the same process only wait 2 minutes after you plug back into shore.

Since your generator is gasoline I will assume your motor home is as well.. What brand of dolly... I will recommend against a dolly

Most gassers are very limited in tow capacity.. For example my hitch is rated 500/5000 (500 pounds weight on the hitch and 5,000 total trailer weight) my actuall tow capacity (Max Combined Gross Vehicle Weight less the Gross Vehicle Weight of JUST the motor home) is 4,000 pounds.. My car is (A 2001 Dodge Neon) is 2500 pounds empty.. If I store my portable recording studio in the trunk (I DO) that's over 100 pounds.. And there is other stuff as well.. It all so say 2700 pounds total

That only gives me 1300 for the dolly.

So I tow 4 down.. Added an LP1 lube pump (about 1500 installed) and tow it in neutral all over the place. No problems. (Google Remco Towing)

Most vehicles can be towed 4-down with one or another mod from Remco. Also it is way easier to hook up 4 down.. But you do need to add an aux brake system to the towed car.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

With today's ethanol gasoline there's a tendency with smaller carburetors cooking the gas when stored for longer periods of time (sludges up the needle & seat/float level valve) which stops the gasoline from getting into the carburetor. I think that's really why they recommend starting and exercising the generator while in storage. The warmer the storage area location you live in the more problematic it seems to be.

They are not too bad to take apart to clean out nor are they very expensive on eBay or Amazon.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Don & Dar! Welcome to IRV2 and the wonderful world of RV'ing!

Congrats on the new rig! Glad to have some more oldies-but-goodies onboard! (I'm 75 too)

I would try to find someone near you that can help you diagnose the problems. It's gonna be hard to figure that out I'm afraid.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:34 PM   #10

Welcome to the Forum Don and Dar. I am sure someone will be able to answer your questions. We hope you have many great camping adventures. Best of luck.

Happy RV'ing
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:54 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks sooooooooo much!!!

I was VERY pleasantly surprised to see so many replies!

This is definitely a new adventure for us!

Our car's owner's manual says we can't tow it flat. We have been looking at dollies with surge disc brakes because we may be going through some mountains and want to be sure we're safe.

I've asked those we know personally who have motor-homes, if they have any hints or ideas they are willing to pass on and one lady said, don't forget to close the refrigerator door!!

Since we've never had a motor-home, if you have any gems you want to pass on, we sure will be thankful. That would be great.
Again, thanks!!!
Old 08-24-2014, 01:22 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don and Dar...........Welcome to the RV mob!! This is a great forum, and you will get a lot of info from very experienced people who have been doing it a long time. We started full timing in 1998, and we still learn every day. When you get the Onan running, be sure to use/ run it at least every month, for a few hours. Worst thing for any RV system is for it not to be used. Have fun!!!
Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
By the way.........don't think a minute about your age. I am 77 and DW is 72......and RV life is just as much fun as it was 15 years ago. Happy travels!
Old 08-24-2014, 09:40 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote