Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #15

I'm having a difficult time tracking down a place that would inject the methanol. Still calling around though.

I have good voltage at the heater. Do I need to remove the furnace in order to get to the electrode and check the gap? Doesn't seem to be accessible from the access panel.

The fan noise could definitely be a contributing factor.

I still think a propane flow issue seems possible because the furnace is the only appliance with a low point in the piping to it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Are you already using heated blankets? Would save a bunch of propane.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Are you already using heated blankets? Would save a bunch of propane.
You mean on our bed?
Old 11-14-2016, 12:57 PM   #18

We use a small ceramic heater in the bedroom & a tower type in the living area. They keep our 40' coach as warm & toasty. Got tired of buying propane & the 2 furnaces dry out our sinus pretty quick.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #19

I've been curious about that actually. Get two high efficiency electric heaters instead of dealing with all of the moisture issues and needing to pick up propane. Any downsides to this?
Old 11-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSirianni View Post
You mean on our bed?
Yes, or the couch if you were a bad boy!

Use the electricity as much as possible and save the propane to help take the chill off and occasionally to keep the plumbing from freezing.
Old 11-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #21

Quote:
I've been curious about that actually. Get two high efficiency electric heaters instead of dealing with all of the moisture issues and needing to pick up propane. Any downsides to this?
Yes can be some serious downsides depending on the set up. Most furnaces have a duct directing heated air down into the inaccessible parts of the basement so without the furnace you might get freezing of hidden pipework.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Yes, or the couch if you were a bad boy!

Use the electricity as much as possible and save the propane to help take the chill off and occasionally to keep the plumbing from freezing.

Well, that's the problem when using space heaters in 20 degree or less weather. You are toasty warm so your gas furnace will never be called upon to run. You risk freezing in the wet bay and fresh water pump area.
Indy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:08 AM   #23

Haha! 5 years of no couch but who knows! We have two heating blankets but I'm wondering if I should get rid of one as an incentive to be a good husband...

That's a good call with the basement issues that could arise due to not having the furnace running. I do have a 60w lightbulb in the wetbay that has kept it above 55 down there even during freezing temps when the furnace shut down. I would be worried about the rest of the basement though. Wish the heat pump was designed for colder weather at least as a backup. Doesn't do much below 35.

I'm picking up a 100lb external propane tank to alleviate the inconvenience of packing up the house just to fill the tank and then use the internal tank as backup. I installed an auto transfer regulator to make the switch seamless if it happens in the middle of the night.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:19 PM   #24

Quote:
I'm having a difficult time tracking down a place that would inject the methanol. Still calling around though.

I still think a propane flow issue seems possible because the furnace is the only appliance with a low point in the piping to it.
You need to find a dealer that services homes and businesses, not your local campground or RV store.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #25

It ended up being the motor! Should have known from the start to just replace the only thing that was obviously not right(the motor squeal). Thanks for all the input!

If anyone is wondering, the motor's product # for a Suburban SF-42 furnace with a serial number lower than 012305119 was updated from 232212 to 233103. Make sure it is a 2 1/2" motor as there seems to be confusion with the product numbers and sometimes they'll have a 3" motor listed as 233103.

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
That's great news. I have to admit I wouldn't have really thought it was the motor. I had the squeal. It got progressively worse (most problems do) but never caused the furnace to stop working correctly.

Thanks for the update.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:51 AM   #27

That was my thought too! Obviously the blower was working enough to heat the place most of the time so I couldn't imagine to cold effecting it that much. But then through discussion with everyone on here it started to be the obvious first thing to replace as it was going bad anyway. When I pulled the motor out to replace it the shaft moved in and out about a quarter inch and when I would manually spin it there was certainly more resistance than normal.

Tags
ace, furnace